Buying PoxNora...The (NOT SO) Final Post->Read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

What @Sokolov said ^
    And for the last time, bruh, WE HAVE TRIED to contact DOG through MANY channels and have gotten NO response. You can't negotiate with someone if they will not communicate with you...

2. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

What I try to say is that the fact they dont reply could be that they have not (yet) abandonned pox and they somehow hope for a future in some kind of way.

However like Sok pointed out, it could also just be as simple as they are somehow still bound by old purchase agreement and they have no right to sell or liscense it, maybe they are even under some kind of liscense agreement.

If they are free and if they gave up, for sure they could respond even if they dont take inquire serious. Especially if Sok tried to reach out to them for replies of what is plan etc.

3. polltroy

Actually the more I think about this, here is my theory:

DOG "bought" back Pox for free, they made some agreement that basically included:
    1. they must make game part of PS network
    2. they can not resell rights to game
    3. they get it for free (SOL dont need to keep running and dont screw those who invested $kk in runes.)

If this is the case, maybe DOG realize PS4 launcher is big big fail and cant be fixed unless redo from scratch or make some 100k+ investment which they dont have / dont want to do. So they end up with only option to abandon game silently. A. No point to invest more in new expansion etc, current launcher dont give nice game experience. B. not enough cash/not worth it to fix current launcher C. no option to rewind and put back game where it was before new launcher as it would be breach with SOL agreement. D. no possibility to liscense or sell game E. no right to speak to us because of the SOL agreement that prob has NDA part...

so here we are... abandonned game due to bad SOL deal and failed launcher.

And for sure game died because of this launcher who is way to slow/way to crappy looking and does not support chat. Has nothing to do with all the rebalance and bugs that chased away some players like me.

Sorry guys i dont have solution on how to move forward if above is true :( prob best option is to create a new game losely based on what was great with Pox....

4. Gprotein

Gprotein The King of Potatoes

Wow, i remeber you when i use to play because you are an excellent troll. This is almost a troll message because of someone over simplifying reality. I do not believe you are trolling however, just very nieve yet wanting to talk. Same applies to your next message. This game has left the realm of fantasy and entered reality. In reality things die due to red tape. As a lawyer, i can see how this game dead and will remain dead.

5. polltroy

The fact that peuple are here and the fact how it died (failed ps4 update) and the fact peuple still play!!! tells me this has still value. if it has value they could communicate. the fact they dont is either they did not give up or (more likely) because of old agreements with SOL plus NDA about it

6. polltroy

actually it seems the big fail was this plox neo they launched in dec last year....

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

That was just a side project that they released.

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Already wrong.

Sony and SOE are 2 entirely different entities and don't cross in that way, and at the time that DOG took back ownership of Pox, SOE was already in the process of being sold to Daybreak.

9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Polltroy and being wrong - name a more iconic duo, I'll wait.

Anima26, SPiEkY and Bondman007 like this.
  10. Bondman007

Dude, you are seriously off base and need to stop. You are beginning to make yourself look educated beyond your intelligence...

Your comments are particularly frustrating to me because I have tried contacting ANYONE at DOG for any type of help. I have been working on this for MONTHS. And there has been one slapstick, corporate response and it wasn't worth anything.

So chill, Holmes.

11. Sokolov

Let's not be rude about it. He isn't up to speed and that's ok.

12. polltroy

Maybe im wrong about the PS4 conversion clause, but I think the rest I wrote is likely. About buying back "free", NDA and no right to resell clause. This is how I would have set up such a deal to avoid the negative feedback on SOE if they just abandonned game instead, considering how much some peuple spent...

Anyway if there was no PS4 conversion clause what DOG should have done from a business perspective to save the game would have been to rollback the old launcher or to run them paralell, one server for PS4 and another for the old community with a working smooth game launcher. The fact that they did not but instead just watched game die (many with me said outright we wont play until launcher is fixed or rolled back...) indicates maybe this somehow was part of deal with SOE or some investor or similar.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Typically when a game has a major upgrade on the front end, the back end is upgraded two. The old launcher probably isn't compatible with the current backend code.

14. Sokolov

There is literally no evidence that this is the case.

I have also been a part of numerous acquisitions (both on the buying and selling side) and have never heard of such a clause. I don't even know how that'd work.

SOE demonstrated quite clearly it didn't care about PoxNora or any of the other strategy games when it shuttered the entire division - including the EverQuest card game, the Free Realms card game and the Magic the Gathering Tactics product. There is no reason to believe they would engage in some weird shenanigans to avoid "negative feedback" in regards to Pox. It's just too small for them to care about.

1. They may have some obligation to Sony to keep things running for X time
    2. But the game was already dying before the new client, the ROI simply isn't worth it
      • most of the people who might come back probably aren't buying anything
      • there isn't a path to generating a profit with such a small playerbase so there wouldn't be content releases
    3. As @darklord48 says, it is technically not possible to roll back without significant work

Bondman007 likes this.
  15. polltroy

I might be wrong about the agreements. It seems Sok knows alot more about this kinds of aquasitions than I do. Just strange they dont want to communicate at all.

Anyway I feel they could have tried to roll back to a stable state and then leave the game there. If not alot of new content all the time the game would cost very little to keep going and could still generate some money for them. As long as it was active and fun it could attract some new players now and then that who would spend money.

16. Bondman007

That's EXACTLY what's happening now...

Fentum likes this.
  17. Bondman007

I know, but geez, I feel like I'm talking to a recording... I can only take so much "informative" talk.

18. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Hey guys,

I'll always remember Pox as my favorite game of all time. I've yet to find something that scratches the itch of a TCG combined with tactical miniature gameplay in a fantasy setting like this one did. There's quite simply nothing like it.

Like some others in this thread have already stated, seems the game is beyond saving, but just in case that ever changes, just want to say a couple things about "Pox 2.0" or whatever clone comes next. I'm sure it's very similar to what others have said, nothing revolutionary.

PoxNora's strength is the core gameplay, specifically the tactical turn-based game of miniatures. It's not the collectible TCG aspect, and never has. The downfall of Pox came about because the latter was an obstacle in experiencing the former to the fullest. Pox's concurrent players fluctuated wildly over the years and gradually declined, even after the Steam release when 1000+ came online, because all the new eyes realized very quickly that they would have to pay into the game to truly enjoy it. As "fun" as it is playing with Goblin Archers, it's ten times more fun playing with Lich Kings. The coolest runes, the most fun synergies and strategies were all locked away behind a paywall, so what most people saw when they gave the game a chance was vanilla starter deck nonsense. And honestly, playing with common Draksar runes would probably turn me off of this incredibly deep game pretty fast.

So if Pox is ever revived as "Pox 2.0" (and for the record, I'm interested in investing in an "official" one, or as close to an official one as we can get. I don't have $50k in disposable income or anything, but I could help) the core gameplay needs to be what carries it, and there needs to be an F2P model that allows new players to experience the game to the FULLEST so they can actually get hooked like the rest of us did. And for the love of god, get the thing on an engine that isn't Firking JAVA.

I joined the Discord a while back, so if these forums go down at any point I'll try to keep up with things there. But this game will always have a special place in my "heart", if I have one.

Sep

Anima26, SPiEkY, Cinder405 and 10 others like this.
  19. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

I don't think you tried hard enough.

20. Bondman007

Have at it, Holmes... Knock their door down. I'm quiet sure you'll get them running to you in a matter on minutes...