Just figured I'd say hi and ask for some opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Poxpoints, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

I just got back from a trip through Thailand and Bangladesh and am starting to look for some work so decided to update my portfolio site somewhat in order to help me with that endeavor.

So I know quite a few people within PoxNora are involved in their own businesses and / or are developers themselves. I figured this is as good a place as any to ask for some feedback on my portfolio site. As I need a

For business owners: would you hire me with this kind of portfolio site? Why or why not? Is certain info missing?
    For developers or UI/UX folk: where do you think the site could improve on a functional and aesthetic level?

www.tiboutshaik.com

Thanks guys!

P.S.: What have all of you been up to lately? Also if you need a website, hit me up!

2. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I'm not your target audience.
    I understand that people who hire people like you probably experience the web in a different way than I do and don't have the same concerns when they are visiting random links from strangers who are applying to work for them.
    Meanwhile js is disabled on most websites I visit.
    Your site has three pixelated pictures with broken links and some contact links at the bottom when the scripts are dead.
    So I had to scroll through the source code of the site to get some of the promised portfolio.

THEN I got curious and opened it in good old silly Edge which has no plugins or blocks installed.
    Your site breaks in Edge.

BUT THEN I got even more curious and opened the site in IE11.
    Your site is literally dead in IE: https://ibb.co/Z6tt7Ls

I know that most people don't care about Edge and IE.
    They are still somewhat frequently used in bigger companies because of legacy laziness. (GPO support is somewhat new for firefox and I actually have no idea since when chrome has it. But it's probably safe to say that IE was there first.)
    But said companies, once again, probably wouldn't be your target audience either. Or at least not the part of the company that may be looking for a web developer or whatever.

ANYWAY!

Improvement suggestion: Add functionality for when js is not available. You can do a lot with html/css and you probably know that better than I do.

Poxpoints likes this.
  3. Poxpoints

Not going to lie I only checked it in Chrome so far, seeing it break this hard in IE, made me laugh out loud, haha! To be fair I don't bother with IE anymore. Edge on the other hand I should look into! Definitely something I will fix when I have some time.

As you mentioned, I am generally not targeting an audience that has all scripts blocked, nonetheless it's good advice to keep that in mind!

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

4. Poxpoints

Just figured I'd let you know it's fixed for Edge!

5. 19madfox95

19madfox95 I need me some PIE!

I don't know anything about anything, but I just really like the design and wanted to say the webpage does look snazzy.

6. Poxpoints

Thanks a lot, I tried to do something a bit different which always has its risks! So it's good to see other people enjoy it!