Buying PoxNora...The (NOT SO) Final Post->Read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

1. BCesar

BCesar The King of Potatoes

[QUOTE = "Axeraiser, post: 411239, membro: 43"] [ATTACH = full] 7601 [/ ATTACH]

Pode haver esperança ainda meninos [/ QUOTE]
    That's me ☝

2. Vash Dragneel

Vash Dragneel I need me some PIE!

Hopefully good news

3. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Well, it IS good news. Considering the current state of the game it couldn't possibly be any thing otherwise...

4. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Yeah they are continuing to post Pox Art daily on their Instagram as well which is interesting.

Bondman007 likes this.
  5. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

So who is this? What's their angle? Is it legit? I don't want my hopes up for something fake.

6. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Just the fact that this is the first hope for the game we have seen in a very, very long time is making me all teary. ; u ;

7. Bondman007

He is Daggan. The original owner and creator of Pox Nora. Who knows what they have planned? Because OF COURSE they can't reveal any of their plans because maybe they fear they will fall thru. Whatever... :rolleyes:

FYI, Daggan created a game called Conquest of Champions and was PR'd by @HawkFain.
    Unfortunately, it was pretty much a failure and didn't get off the ground.

8. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Kinda funny, Conquest of Champions was marketed as Poxnora 2, but mostly only non-Poxnora players liked it.
    It had some potential, however it seemed more like a smartphone game than a pc game, had lots of abusable bugs and the strategy levels were somewhat low.
    The game was also a "play the most, level up champions the most, win the most" type of game.
    If you wanted to be the top player in the game, you would need the highest level champions of all players.
    It also lacked a proper player base. I remember HawkFain setting up dates and times for big group chats and I would be the only other one person showing up.
    It seems the servers have been shut down for the game based on reading steam comments.

Bondman007 likes this.
  9. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I'm kinda excited about what a modern version of Poxnora might look like (if that is indeed what's being planned behind the scenes). The graphics of the game haven't really changed since its inception in 2007, and although graphics was never an important aspect of the game, it'll be interesting to see it all cleaned up.

As for the reason this is being done at all, I reckon Daggan was like "Hey, every game I've made has been crap except for Poxnora, maybe instead of taking another risk on something new I should modernize the only thing that has succeeded."

soulmilk, Bondman007 and aseryen like this.
  10. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Yeah, I played Conquest. It was flub. Daggan better "daggun" make a new Poxnora. Please! Thanks for the update.

soulmilk and Bondman007 like this.
  11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think that was what he was trying to do with Conquest, but I think that is harder than it seems.

Sure, you could directly copy Pox rules and layout for Pox 2 but so much would be different.

Firstly the amount of runes would be a fraction of current pox - this would alter the gameplay. People forget that pox was originally released with a much more complex levelling system and no factions - simply because it needed to compensate for the low variety in tune choice.

Secondly, the world it is being released into is very different. Indy games get zero publicity just by existing. Games with 2D graphics are going to have to ‘do’ (not necessarily ‘be’) something special to get PC players to spend time on them.

I would love to think that Pox 2 could trade on it’s name to bring in people, but I think that wouldn’t be enough to create an instant player base anymore.

Bondman007 and aseryen like this.
  12. JazzMan1221

I was under the impression that he would be coming back to Pox 1 and modernizing it instead of creating a whole new game. But a Pox 2 does make more sense, since the backend framework of Pox 1 is so terribly outdated (doesn't it still run on Java?). Since the image posted very clearly features Weaponsmith, I assume they'll be transposing a lot of the old artwork into Pox 2; they still own it after all, so why not use it instead of commissioning expensive new art. And if that's the case, I'm sure there will be no shortage of content, since they'll want to copy over as many of the old runes as possible.

Also, who's to say that Pox 2 will be a 2-D game? I can definitely imagine a 3-D Pox 2 with a hex grid system, rotatable map, and more animated champion sprites. Or maybe it will be similar to Divinity 2 and look more like an RPG. It might not even be a turn-based game at all; it might end up being an RTS game where you use your shrine like a base to create champions and cast spells.

As for the playerbase, it goes without saying that anyone playing current Pox will want to try out the improved version. And if the game is any good, we can use Sok's discord to recruit all the old players who left the game but stuck around for the social aspect. The great thing about Pox 1 was that it always had a loyal, tight-knit playerbase. Us still being here after all this time is proof of that. If any of the old vets hear about a well-done Pox 2 project, they'll at least give it a shot. After that, it depends on how well the game is advertised. One of the downfalls of Pox 1 was how poorly it was marketed. Hopefully Daggan and co. have learned from their mistakes since then.

aseryen likes this.
  13. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

We can but hope.

soulmilk and Fentum like this.
  14. Bondman007

Gonna have to reel you WAY in here Jazzy. The current, and only, rumor so far is that there may be a Pox Nora BOARD game. There was no mention of doing anything digital at all. Now, a Pox 2 may well be in the works, but even @Sokolov said that all he's heard at the moment is that non-virtual products are in the works. Hence, the Pox Nora board game...

15. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

This is similar to the prototype I'm working on; Unreal - Stadia driven PoxGo2.XYO, Digital Assets set in Poxanthuru featured through varying game perspectives, and rather than a single grid system I have an Open Grid/Matrix - this is my take on the node systems and iteration processes that are being developed. Should also help merge some procedural content with emergent driven stuff I want to bring out. Biggest hurdle right now is mapping out a character builder, thinking back on some of my old prototypes is making my head spin. This is why I suggest watching the GDC talk on Keyforge by Fantasy Flight Games; good insight. Also Grinding Gear Games GDC talk on Path of Exile blends the two worlds together that PoxNora and its owners have always struggled for.

Server(s) Online:Offline
    Player Account:Character Account
    LOADOUT:party
    Race:Class
    ERA:Faction
    Perspective:Genre

Champions, our Conquest!

JazzMan1221 likes this.
  16. JazzMan1221

Well that's a bit disappointing...........but I'll still buy it lol. And it might even end up being a better way of presenting the game. I could definitely see a Poxnora board game akin to Warhammer with movable pieces, expansion packs with new pieces and map variations, etc. Looking forward to it!

Bondman007 likes this.
  17. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

The game exists and is called Mage Wars.

18. ElCamaleoncito

ElCamaleoncito The King of Potatoes

A new PoxNora game would be wonderful.
    I have not played PoxNora in years, but I started playing at the beginning, when there were far fewer runes and the game was easier.

I think the game became too complex for new players. And that there are too many skills and effects. In the end people are only using to play 10% of the runes, the rest being totally inefficient.

If you make a new game of poxnora my advice is as follows:

That at first there should be few runes and only a part of the factions and races. But they must define the strategy very clearly. And later you can add the rest of factions and races.

The new game should have well-defined classes: Priest, Warrior, Paladin, Druid ... (maybe copying the 9 WoW classes would be fine)
    And races.
    All champions should have only one race and class.

The number of types of damage should be reduced, now there are too many. For example, poison, disease and electricity could be grouped into "Nature" damage.

The creatures should have resistances and weaknesses according to their race. For example, all Jakei should have some kind of cold resistance. All elementals some kind of resistance to damage nature, and so everything ...

In short, if they do Pox nora again, they should go little by little and define everything well. So that the decks can be varied and competitive. Based on race, class or type of damage.

A greeting.

aseryen likes this.
  19. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I would LOVE a modern iteration of Poxnora blending with an orgy of XCOM 2/Space Hulk- Tactics/FFtactics... Smaller decks but still turn/grid based strategic gameplay but likely needing to be sped up for modern gamers. Possibly a Hero/Leader unit with a 5 team squad (type of units based on leader chosen) with 3 "specials/wildcards" (spells/equipment/persistents basically)

aseryen and badgerale like this.
  20. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I also think us recognizing the artwork in that image as Poxnora artwork is not something they wish to broadcast too much... they likely hope we just quietly nod about it as crusty pox vets since the new project likely has nothing to do with Poxnora or it's old playerbase specifically and will just draw attention to the fact they are re-using old AF art assets. Just saying...

aseryen likes this.