Desert Owl is working with Sony on an undisclosed project, a “PoxNora” spinoff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gnomes, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

I sure hope the current runes are transferred to Pox2. After all, the best part is the artwork, and it would be a shame to lose it all. Pox2 should just be a graphics update, with better maps and realistic conditions, such as random weather and natural disasters. Having random generating maps would be a plus as well. Then keep the current runes with their artwork, update the sprites, and update the statistics to match the Pox2 rules.

If Pox2 does come out, most likely shutting down Pox1 would be coming soon after. There is just too much amazing artwork to lose it all. Maybe before it is shut down they can release a stand-alone version of Pox1, or just keep it going on Steam.

SOE created Everquest (EQ) then later release EQ2 and they are both still running. There were plans to create another Everquest called Everquest Next, but it appears to have stalled as far as I can tell since they changed to Daybreak Games. But SOE burned me before by shutting down Pirates and Star Wars Galaxies along with their SWG CCG. I asked at the time if we could get some sort of compensation for other SOE titles, but it never happened. It was just money down the toilet. At least I could (and have) create a SWG EMU server. I have also created an EQ EMU server. But I think the Pirates data is gone for good, which is a shame.

2. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

You can see why runes wouldn't transfer though, it makes perfect sense.

If there was a shard type system, then some shard reward based on rune value in pox1 would a nice :) to the old timers.

KingJad likes this.
  3. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I don't think they will release this info until the day cones

4. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

So was the new client the 'spin-off' or is there an actual spin off happening too?

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The spin off is Space Wars or Void Rim I think. Space Wars is the game they have been showing off at the conventions but there is little known about it. Void Rim was the sci-fi tactical game that was similar to pox but was shelved when they reaquired Pox.

Goyo likes this.
  6. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I believe people misunderstand what does a rewriten client means. It is fresh code, so you can expect weird glitches and hard to solve issues gone, but art and mechanics will be kept. All the hard work and money invested in PoxNora will not be wasted folks, that would be crazy...

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Spin off is completely different than anything that you would know about.

Bondman007 and Dagda like this.
  8. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Ha, you have livened the entire atmosphere with these vague references. Come on Sok, throw us a REAL bone! :p

9. Sokolov

There's a lot up in the air with it right now, but it is a single player game set in the Pox Universe. That's all I can say.

10. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

NOOO. I THINK I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON HERE.
    Poxnora is going to become SKYRIM. WOOT.

Qucas likes this.
  11. Tryo

Tryo The King of Potatoes

Would love to see a Fire Emblem type RPG within pox, wouldn't be too much of a stretch play wise either

Qucas likes this.
  12. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I’d be very interested to see what comes of this.

13. Bondman007

Talking about bringing discussions back from the beyond!!

[​IMG]

aseryen, guokamoli54 and darklord48 like this.
  14. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Day in the life of a designer.

If we had the old forums I’d be digging through those too. Always something to find, I didn’t always get a chance to take part in some of the current discussions but a lot of the comments are timeless in a sense.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  15. Bondman007

And BTW, I can pretty much tell you what happened with this and any other project DOG was working on...

aseryen likes this.
  16. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Darce Banfield is Poxzuo I assume?

17. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I didn’t realise that DOG was this big last I remember there were 5 programmers and poxzuo + outsourcing artist. That was when DOG bought over

18. Bondman007

Dude, DOG is dead. Pox is dead. This thread was dead until @aseryen went and necro'd it. DOG is small and always was now they are extinct just like any projects they were working on.

aseryen likes this.
  19. Dalinski

Dalinski The King of Potatoes

Sokolov, you have to be the best flag bearer for any game in history. "Single Player"? I hope its a Rogue-like with fantastic graphics.....

aseryen likes this.
  20. Sokolov

Unfortunately you read something from 2016, @Dalinski. That said, we did receive some news recently of SOMETHING being worked on, but it's somewhat nebulous as to what.

MrCharles and aseryen like this.