95% of Poxnora maps are unbalanced Trash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Excalibur95, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

Poxnora maps are unbalanced biased unfair poorly designed trash, they do not belong in a competitive game at all.

Clearly whoever designed them was high on something, wanted to fk with the community or had the mental age of a pre school kid.

There is your main reason this game fails.

How on earth was this allowed to happen?

I mean all maps not just this rotation.

The only half decent/kind of balanced map in poxnora and i am not saying it is perfect...

Elemental Plateau (5 fonts)
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...n-29-last-update-22-01-2019-up-to-date.29643/

Just because your fonts are spread far enough away from the enemy and it has a mid font. Most pox maps are too small.

I will not go into my full reasoning now or take apart every map, but will say rush decks are cancer. You donr even need a rush deck to rush in most cases.

I play fw.

2. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

I just wish all the maps were in the current rotation. Since we are stuck in it for an indefinite period of time.

3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Didn't sok post the win percentages between players 1 and 2 for each map somewhere? They were surprisingly close.

4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

FW zero font map is most balanced, clearly.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This is the data from 6 months in 2015

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

badgerale and fogandsteel like this.
  6. Sokolov

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

General Notes:
    • Data is for the periods of March 2015 to August 2015
    • Data contains roughly 92000 games
    • Data contains ~1800 winners and ~2300 losers
    • Games are ranked only
    • Games less than 5 minutes and longer than 4 hours have been excluded from the dataset
    • Games on Underdepths are included in totals, but I am not displaying it due to very few games played on that map
    Interesting Stuff:
    • No faction benefits significantly more than any other faction in terms of Player One advantage overall
    • However, there is a variety of differences in Player One WR per faction on a per map basis (which may be a sample size issue in some cases)
    • When games feature those whose ratings are close (0-99 difference), the Player One advantage is more pronounced
    • Even on K'thir Forest, where there is an experiment favoring of Player Two, Player One still wins more than 50% of the time
    • Maps that tend to favor Player One less are generally disliked for being boring or have other features that players dislike (Tundra Lake, Brood Pits)
    • Tundra Lake is the only map that has before and after data so far, but shows some promise in the change
      • Other changed maps: Axillium, Brood Pits, Elemental Plateau, Ironfist Pass, K'thir Forest, Ruins of Valdac, Sundered Lands, Snarling Tangle

fogandsteel likes this.
  7. Sokolov

In general these numbers have improved over time, along with bonuses for Player 1 but ultimately Player 1 continued to enjoy advantage due to first move advantage.

I had started doing an experiment where K'thir Forest was changed to be asymmetrical favoring Player 2. It worked, as it is one of the more balanced maps from a P1 vs P2 perspective, but it didn't work in that Players complained that it wasn't symmetrical and FELT it was more unfair than other maps.

badgerale and fogandsteel like this.
  8. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Honestly What I hate are walls/pits in the maps like SL and KF (bakitkase map) they make it very hard to plan forward because of a hidden wall so you end up wasting ap to go around.