Patch Notes: August 31st, 2020 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Etherielin, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

There is a long term plan to buff Tortuns as a whole. The proposed and implemented changes to Portalmage are aimed towards making him än enabler / AP generator in Tortuns without risking that he becomes a meta rune. If he turns out too weak in the long run, he will be given another pass.

2. Etherielin

There is no Council. Get it through your head.

3. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

I don't think Tortuns need AP gen when they have Tortun Captain, and Horn of Order. The only thing they need is healing and maybe a bit more synergy. Removing healing from Portalmage is not buff, it is nerf :c. As tortun player, Portalmage was ok. Also Tortuns are suppose to be slow and sturdy, not fast and low def. That's why they have defenceless and easy target, to keep their high defence. Well, Portalmage is now shoebox.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. Etherielin

Questions:
    Why do you believe the utility of giving Tortuns relocation options and either shields, AP or crowd control isn't good enough to warrant running Portalmage?
    What do you think Portalmage needs in your opinion to be runnable if you had to maintain the direction of his changes? (buffer / enabler / disabler)

5. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

Hello there. As a Tortun player I believe you are wrong with the idea they don't need speed and also the idea that they need healing. I do not know when the last time you played was but healing was nerfed to a CD 3 including Healing Charge. Also the ability Tortun's Trade was on only 2 champions(also that ability is terrible). Simply saying Horn of Order is the only thing they need is also a flawed concept as someone who has probably spent the better part of 30 hours play testing Tortuns. In the current rotation and game status the old theme idea is outdated. I am sorry that you feel this was a negative change but Tortun's needed a new direction seeing how they were previously nearly unplayable. I hope the future changes are towards your liking. If not you can make your own suggestions on the spreadsheet which is linked in our Discord. Also if you want to chat my IGN is Rorchach and I am active near daily in the discord. Thanks for your input, it was noted. Cheers.

6. ProR2D2

1. Because shields/buffers don't care about defence and Tortuns lack healing. And Because his summon made it difficult to balance and risky to modify.
    2. Healing, or keep her as before just add Swap/Relocate:ally.
    I've been playing Tortuns for 5 years, I'm in top rank as well, so I don't know what you mean. You can get a better champion for 25 less nora called Fae Advocate (Swap+bubble+extra abilties). So yea, Portalmage is now Shoebox. I think the changes to the other Tortuns were good changes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  7. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

I find the patch note a little hard to read, here are some suggestions:
    1. General Fix should be focus on non factions/race specific changes, ie. ability changes, bug fixes or remove/include of ranked runes
    2. Standardize the way you do changes (eg. Base nora cost 44 > 50 instead of having multiple ways of showing the similar kind of changes)
    3. Use [ list ] [ * ] [ /list ] instead of having " -" doing list

Etherielin likes this.
  8. 5amb0

5amb0 I need me some PIE!

There is no council, apparently. It's just 1 or two people that decide what changes "make sense"

9. Etherielin

Not quite. The way it is everyone is open to suggest what goes in and out, but the final call goes to me as I compose the patch notes and then send them over to Cortices who also takes a look at them. An example of everyone else suggesting what goes in and out were the changes to Cyclops Rockshaper not making it in as well as Psychic Anguish going to Void Spider to give it some new life.

10. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

You limited Mena with these changes. I get that he was sand bagged, and yeah, he now has more uses, but his healing made him more useful in any build. It was a bad move, removing that skill from him. And then, you made him like every SP Hero, a plain champ with a mix of decent skills.

Also, I can't understand why a spell that does 15 spot damage was increased by 5 to 40 while a large area spell that does 20 damage was decreased by 5 to 55. I mean these types of changes are head scratchers. Now, I'm not saying the patch overall was good. But a few of these are just not thought through enough.

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I don't think that is necessarily illogical - opportunity cost does scale with more expensive spells, if you have a really good spell for 20 nora... that Bane Shift would be spammed until nerfed, Also the game is quite focused on taking out single champs rather than multiple ones, especially in the important early game.... so most of the game that firestorm will be sitting in the dock waiting for the right moment, whereas the GB will be simply waiting till it's off cooldown.

You could also compare Grimlic's Bane to other similar equal cost single target damage spells where it is clear that it is much better.

12. Etherielin

Genuine question - if heal mass was sandbagging Menalaus, wouldn't running him with it make him used in fewer builds because he is less useful for his nora cost? Also doesn't his U2 Grant him a fair share of interesting abilities to use?

Keep in mind that 90-100 nora range Champions have to have incredibly sharp design to be run.

13. poxrooster

You shouldn't make a change because the focus is on this or that. With that approach, everything should get changed.

14. poxrooster

No. By that, you're saying that nora cost makes something more useful. It's important, but it limits the game.

15. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Holy Pox, @Etherielin it’s great to see you still here! I wanted that dang Nymph changed for so long! Now if only Forest Dragon/Spring Dragon could have some love. Cheers, bud!

16. Etherielin

Still around and temporarily calling the shots on final patch notes! Everyone is welcome to post feedback in the spreadsheet so that everyone gets to have their voice heard! I'm happy to see you around here as well although I wish you were on Discord too.

17. ProR2D2

I have to agree with Poxrooster. It's not just about balance, it's also about design. It's important to make runes available in different themes from time to time and not restrict the use of runes to 1 single faction or strategy, while keeping consistency with lore. For example, Totem of the fallen is stronger now, but 1st: he was already good and now he is a bit too strong in skeezick, and 2nd: weighty is more consistent with lore than lethargic, and 3rd: it restricts his viability through his heal mass route, harming players who took him outside of skeezick, like beasts and meta who also bring skeezick, and 4th: Getting draw fukd in skeezick is not true, more than 90% of skeezick can reach fonts in time.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  18. Pimplepopperhasthejuice

Pimplepopperhasthejuice The King of Potatoes

- Bone Slave:
    - Stun replaced by cripple;

what was wrong with stun?

19. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

can u give crawler planar bound and put trail crystal back on it was swap that was buggy and creep and crawl is on two upgrade lines

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  20. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

There are lots of champs that have redundant upgrade lines and or upgrades that make no sense. There are also spells and abilities that could be fixed so that they can be used. Please bring back aggressive...This was a nice counter to summoned units and swap.