Pro-life Texas lawmaker introduces bill imposing death penalty for abortion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JazzMan1221, Mar 14, 2021.

1. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Will you deny that the vast majority of medical experts recommend the use of mask as a prophylactic measure against airbone diseases? Masks have been used by medical personnel for a long time in a wide array of situations, so when you cherrypick one source that is against that measure, can you say you are siding with "science"?
    Also there is the hard evidence of the fact that reducing these liberties had the effects that were expected.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The hilarious thing about the mask thing is that early on, when Asian countries were doing well against COVID-19, right wing establishments were quick to say, "Well, of course, they have a culture of mask wearing."

Then when the US started recommending/mandating masks, and it suddenly changed to "Masks don't even work!"

I saw this literally in real time with my conservative family and friends. They were defending Trump's response by saying the only reason Asian countries did well containing local spread was because they were already using masks. And then completely flipped on whether masks were effective. It was something to see.

The fact is, you can argue about the economic impacts of lockdowns and whether it's worth it (yes, it's lives vs money, but we make those tradeoffs every day in everything we do), and you can argue about the safety and efficacy of new vaccines... but masks? It's like a super minor inconvenience, has virtually no negative economic impacts, and the most you can say really say is that it's an ideological problem for you because "my rights!" but clearly it isn't actually limiting your freedom very much in practical terms.

3. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

Corona virus doesn't spread if you are protesting is the left wing equivalent that was pushed in MSM.

Most of what is going on can't be framed as left vs right. It's becoming do you follow the law / corporate mandate or not. I just bought a house in the woods with my crypto earnings, so that's me lul.

4. Sokolov

I don't know anyone said that, though it's true there was bias with Trump rallies being called out and not as much with the BLM protests, though to be fair BLM was much more likely to wear masks.

I am friends with RNC committeewoman here in AZ and she was bragging about how no one wore masks at the rallies here.

There were people categorizing the Trump rallies as "superspreader" events and calculating how many were infected by those events - based on very little actual information except estimates of attendance and guesses on spread rate - which is basically nonsense given that it's all guesses and not based on any actual data (especially since we now know that outdoor spread is much lower than indoor spread).

And, of course, there were no similar estimates/calculations for protests.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  5. Bushido

As soon as I personally read headlines that said protesting was OK and didn't spread coronavirus (mind you, this is last march / early April), I tuned out. Saved the pics on my phone, couldn't find them from a Google search (shocker). To me, the news is just propaganda at this point, and my life is better not listening to anything that comes from a broadcast. So to me, my official political stance is that all media is a deepfake ai or should be treated as such, and reality is what is happening in my personal sphere of influence only.

Mind you I was 70% of this opinion pre pandemic, but that single event is what gradually shifted me to 100%.

6. Sokolov

I'd be interested in seeing those headlines, as I don't remember seeing that any headlines resembling "Protesting does not spread COVID-19." There might have been some discussing the risks of outdoor spread at large gatherings with and without masks.

It also begs the question of where these headlines are from. It's unfortunate, but reasonable, that humans lump things together, and these days, "the news" is a really nebulous term. Often when one person says "the news" they mean something completely different than when someone else says it.

I would also note that March/April was when the anti-lockdown protests were happening, and there were definitely articles discussing the possibility that such protests could actually make things worse, rather than such protests not spreading it:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/20/us-protests-lockdown-coronavirus-cases-surge-warning

Here's a Feb article discussing how you can be more safe during protests:
    https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a32742636/how-to-protest-safely-coronavirus/
    "Experts believe that mass protests could cause a spike in Covid-19 cases. Still, we need to protest. Help mitigate that risk with these tips"

Meanwhile, BLM's websites have safety tips advocating for social distancing, masks, etc. (it's unknown when these bullet points were added):
    https://blacklivesseattle.org/protest-safety-guide/

So I am not seeing very good evidence that "protests don't spread" was a common narrative, but as I said, I'd be interested in seeing your screenshots so I can get a better sense of what you are referring to.

Anyway, I believe you saw something, but I am not sure that what you saw is indicative of all news sources or maybe it wasn't quite what you think it was; especially since you seem to be implying you stopped reading at the headline and you seemed to completely misread my post re: cost of art vs revenue so I don't exactly trust information from you (meaning no disrespect here).

7. Sokolov

Anyway, I sympathize with you. It's hard to know what/who to trust, so you have chosen to not trust anything.

I don't think this is a new phenomenon though. But the shape of it has changed, and how fast things can spread is different.

In the past, you actually had very little way to verify the information on the news, in school or even in encyclopedias, etc. What they said was the truth - because how else can you tell?

It used to be, before recording was really a thing, that news broadcasts and radio would just reenact news events, like a Presidential speech.

But now, people are taking their own videos, sharing their own perspectives, you can easily read papers/studies showing the other side of the arguments instead of just what is presented.

So it makes people more aware that there is more than one perspective, and it exposes bias. But much in the same way that there is more awareness of autism and police corruption/brutality... it doesn't mean that those problems only recently started.

Personally, I would not make the choice you are, but that's me. I understand why you do it, but it seems very extreme and there seems to be a great deal of room between trust everything vs trust nothing, and I think the tradeoff not trusting anything is quite limiting to the human experience. This doesn't mean one should blindly trust everything, and certainly you need to curate your sources and figure out what works for you. I also actively work to correct misinformation I see (both for others as well as for myself). For example, I think Robert Reich says a lot of nonsense and this is problematic as he is quite influential on the left so I am often talking to my liberal friends about the problems with the stuff he says where it isn't technically true/over-simplified/sensationalized.

(I guess this begs the question: where does someone sharing their personal experience lie for you? Does that fall under propaganda not to be trusted as well?)

8. Bushido

It depends if they nerf skeletons or not.

9. Sokolov

10. Bushido

To be fair, I did search my images from March to try and find the pic

11. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

Pro-Life lawmakers tend to only be Pro-Birth, not Pro-Life.

12. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

For bacteria, surgical masks are effective containment (especially with goggles). For viruses, which are much smaller, they aren't good enough. It's like trying to stop your neighbor from squiritng you with a hose by putting up a chainlink fence. That said, some masks are effective against viruses as well. A study for the Swine Flu showed N95 masks partially effective in a significant manner, but at the cost of increased risk of hypoxia over long-term use due to constrained breathing. Other respirators are likely effective as well, but these aren't being mandated, it's mostly just the inneffective surgical masks.

Many mandates even say that wearing a scarf to cover your nose/mouth would be enough to satisfy requirements, or face-sheilds, despite those having even more "gaps" to allow viral spread in the air (at least the face-guard can stop more direct sneezes, but an arm-pit can do the same). None of them mandate eye protection, or ear (though I don't think the ear is as much of an issue with these specific viruses).

I don't particularly care what "experts" say or claim by themselves, I care about what their science produces and whether their methodology for determining it is flawed or not. Particularly given the politically charged issues around masks, where many have experienced a loss of job or threat of such for going against the narrative even when they have scientific backing.

I've seen absolutely no such "hard evidence." Indeed, overall, it seems that places that lifted restrictions or did not have them often did similar or better to those that maintained them. The most impactful reduction in case numbers was when the CDC and WHO finally ordered PCR tests to use fewer cycles(amplifications) to reduce the number of false positives. Which means also that it's possible to manipulate case-load, throwing any concrete conlcusion on such data into question.

If you have some other "hard evidence", please provide such.

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Wouldn't surprise me.

Then again, I don't particularly care for what the "right" or "left" say about what I should do medically, I care about what my doctor and scientific studies show work. Provided, of course, they aren't being influenced/falsified for politics like the Lancet report that suggested HCQ was causing more death, later retracted but still exploited to harass Trump for suggesting it over the much more expensive alternatives mentioned.

Make no mistake, there are many on the "Right" which still advocate for mask usage even in the general population.

Though in reality Japan and others most likely benefited from tighter border controls and/or better hand-washing (or in China's case, not giving actual numbers publicly), something which the Left argued vehemently against.

A slight tangent:
    Also, why doesn't anyone encourage hand-washing anymore? Or limiting touching your eyes/nose/mouth with unwashed hands? I almost never see it mentioned as a means of reducing spread and it's actually relatively useful. Not something you can easily mandate and seperate people on with an obvious marker I guess, but should be encouraged anyway.

Also going outside (the virus lasts only 30 seconds in direct sunlight, give or take), having Vitamin C and other good nutrients... though in the latter case this has never really been mentioned for some reason.

14. GabrielQ

your analogy is wrong, viruses travel far when they are riding saliva droplets, so masks are like trying not to get wet with a chainlink fence, but the people trying to wet you is throwing water ballons.

Sokolov likes this.
  15. GabrielQ

I guess people don't encourage hand washing anymore because they assumed 12 months of reminding adults about it was enough. But still, disinfecting hands is mandatory in a lot of places and the means to do so are available on a lot of places where is not. At least in civilized countries.
    And the going outside part is actually encouraged isn't it? not because UV killing the virus, which would be good for groceries and such, but because air circulation makes gatherings safer. In most countries, outdoors gatherings have allowances far greater than indoor gatherings and a lot of other measures in this style.

16. Sokolov

Not everyone on the left that I know. We all wanted the borders slammed shut immediately. I was extremely critical of how late Trump's travel ban happened and how limited it was - and the fact that tens of thousands of people still entered the country after the supposed "ban" - and then the lack of testing/quaratine for new arrivals? Yikes.

Also, maybe you need to stop looking at this as as left/right issue similar to how you say this every time I mention "the right?"

17. Sokolov

Yea, I mean, things that are not controversial and already things we want people to be doing (eat healthy and wash their hands) aren't mentioned as much? Shocker.

Like, imagine if @Ohmin in here was arguing that we should not be washing our hands and that we should only eat junk food because eating healthy is a liberal plot to take over the world... would we then be discussing those things more? Of course!

I don't see why this is surprising.

18. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Is there really much to say about the new rules?

It sad they value a life of a non existent zygote over a fully developed human

19. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

the people supporting abortion verifies their minds are gone and they live in clown world. May you all live a 1000 years.

Bushido and Ohmin like this.
  20. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I'm not talking about "everyone on the Left" just as you weren't talking about "everyone on the Right." Rather, was referring to prominent heads and spokespersons of "the Left", Pelosi, CNN anchors, etc. trying to call the action of travel bans racist etc. Encouraging parties in China Town to combat this "racist" approach. There were no major players on the "left" side reproaching this that I saw. Individuals that align themselves? You for example? Sure, I can beleive that.

As for right now, the souther border is being intentionally let open, without any testing/quarantine proceedures for most illegal aliens. And on top of that they are being bussed or flown around throughout the nation. To say nothing of the conditions and over-crowding of processing centers and temporary holding facilities which makes them a bed for not just COVID to spread, but other diseases as well.

Yet Biden still refuses to finish building a wall which would help mitigate this despite still having to pay money to contractors to guard the materials this whole time (it would have been faster and cheaper to finish the wall), had suspended the "remain in Mexico" plan which was recently reinstated and hailed as "good" etc.

I'm sure there are many people that consider themselves "leftwing" that are upset about that. I know a lot of people of that political persuasion that supported Obama for example because he presented a tough-on-illegals stance during his first term and half the second. Yet those people aren't the ones in power or influence.

As for Trump's "delay... At the time, most of the pressure in DC was against a travel ban... so the fact Trump went through with it anyway is still a good thing overall, though I agree it probably should have been done sooner. Perhaps if Pelosi wasn't so busy trying to impeach the President and waiting to hand it over to the Senate until after the first cases started showing up, there would have been fewer obstacles to such action (though Trump should have ignored such obstacles sooner). What amazes me I guess is the brazen way in which media, and followers of it, somehow try to blame Trump for everything even while generall covering for, or ignoring, the current problems on the same issue.

It's not a "left/right" issue; that's true it's much more of an "establishment/anti-establishment" issue. Or "corrupt/anti-corruption" issue in my view (and there's corruption right in both major parties and most minor parties as well, but by no means are all of either party so corrupt). It's why I pointed out how muddled it is even when people on "the right" and "the left" have differing viewpoints on what is good for a given issue. But if you don't want me to say: "the right" or "the left" at all than that's not going to work well to fascilitate conversation.