Core Set for free?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poxbrothers, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Would this be a good idea?

1. Yes, please elaborate in the comments.

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No, please elaborate in the comments.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

Goals:
    - Get new players more drawn into the game, but don't overwhelm them.
    - Give new players more options from the let go.
    - Make the game feel more F2P without cutting to much in DoGs income.
    - Make the game more F2P without hurting perceived value of older players to much.

How to:
    - After unlocking a faction walk through you gain all core set runes of this faction (vote on this).

Remarks:
    - Core set would be removed from the marketplace entirely.
    - The faction walk through core set runes would be untradeable.
    - These faction walk through core set runes can not be sacrificed or forged.
    - LE's would not be included.
    - Current players with core set runes can still trade/forge them (value goes up over time, because of rarity + fun collection purpose + possible shards).

*I realize that there are other pressing issues at the moment towards creating a better gaming experience, which is being worked on with the revamp, but wanted to throw this "easy to implement" idea out there.

Sincerely,

Josh753

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Woffleet and Agirgis1 like this.
  2. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

If the game was not on the verge of being revamped i would have voted yes, simply becasue the core set runes are worthless in a sense to veterans and new players should not have to jump through loops just to get the basis runes.

BUT the game is being revamped and as such old runes might be more playable again. This means that it can be a source of revenue for the developers and if we want the game to grow and thrive again the DEVS need some sort of income to eat and run the servers.

Woffleet likes this.
  3. Poxbrothers

I personally expect core set runes not to change a lot in value after the revamp, the reasons they're less worth to buy is because the market is already flooded with them, there is a huge supply and even after the revamp I don't think the demand for them will be so high that the perceived value will rise as much as to make it worth buying core set boxes over extended set boxes.

Example:
    Menalaus is one of the best exotics around, yet it's incredibly cheap and easy to get it because of the big supply so if I want a mena, I buy an extended box and trade for a mena (whilst holding a lot of profit leftover if I would've bought core set boxes for the same value).
    On the other hand you have some LEGs that are bad, yet because of their rarity they still hold way more value than for example Menalaus.

Don't get me wrong, even by buying an extended box to trade for core set runes DoG get's revenue, but I don't think it's more than revenue from the possible extra players that join because of this.

Sincerely,

Josh753

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Honestly, a core set of runes that would allow you to build the most basic bgs from every faction should be availeble.

One starter bg doesn't give you the same feeling of actually making your own bg and playing with it. There's nothing like fiddling around with runes to fit everything in that you'd like and curse when it doesn't. I feel like that would draw in more players as a whole cause they're not obliged to spend money to start playing the game completely as if they had spend money, so they can get the full PoxNora experience before spending money and then make the choice.

5. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Personally in favour of it as mentioned in My Ideal NUX.

Although mine is paying $10 for all the core runes of a certain faction. Making core runes produce "core shards" and making them more freely available by simply playing the game.

I think core runes should be the hook for new players. Because right now they get nothing substantial as a reason to stay or play the next day.

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Another terrible poll. Of course everyone wants everything for free. But that's not how it works. Free starter decks and access to more via gold accumulation and access to the best only through cash. That makes a healthy game. That makes a good Christmas at the homes of the DOG employees. That success will motivate them to bring Pox to new levels. Having them strip down the system so that immediate gratification knobs can be satisfied while they all car pool home in a 1982 volvo is not the way to go. That keeps Pox where it is right now: on life support.

Thankfully, everything I've seen from DOG bespeaks intelligence which puts this poll squarely in file 13.

7. Joker

Joker I need me some PIE!

I agree with the OP, but i also agree with banshee, but i also agree with burnpyro, but i also agree with fikule

oh my

8. Queegon

Queegon I need me some PIE!

In before "but my Thorn Collections would be worthless"

Sounds like a Hearthstone thing.

9. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I would go for a hybrid, with three tiers:

1) Basic: Runes you get as part of a customizable starter deck after finishing the tutorials. Everybody gets the same runes and they are untradable of course. The point is that you don't start with a blank slate but a working deck that you can actually customize with the runes you earn.

2) Core: The rest of the core set. Make them untradable, and instead give random Core runes as rewards freely. Daily bonuses, ranked participation, random handouts, etc. The constant carrot on a stick, giving players a sense of progress. You could even give players one random rune a day whether they play or not, so when players have been absent for a while, they have the incentive to log in again and check all the new cards they got (which is the opposite of now, where the longer you don't play, the more daunting it becomes to get back into the game). Core packs can still be sold (for cheap) for those who just want to have them all at once.

3) Premium: I think this sounds better than Extended, and it works because the Extended set generally has higher quality art and more interesting rune design.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Plenty of games work with a free set that you can fiddle around with. Plenty of games are doing a lot better than Pox.

Then again, plenty of games also have a market that actually works

11. Poxbrothers

First of all I doubt most people voting want everything for free, most want to see Pox Nora grow. On top of that the biggest chunk of the players now playing the game do already have a lot of core set runes and I'd be surprised if any player at all is not at least able to get pretty much any core-set-only-BG he wants together (after trading with Poxbox as they have 99% of all core set runes at all time). As these runes are incredible easy to come by and hold very, very little perceived value.

I also entirely disagree with what you tend to see as "what makes a healthy game". A whole lot of F2P games are the most obvious evidence that you are wrong here. The worst games ever made make more money than Pox Nora does, solely because they market it F2P and it FEELS F2P as well.

What success are you talking about? I believe they would feel more successful if more people play the game they've created with so much passion.
    On top of that if the increase of players makes up for the decrease in average spend per person, than it should make DoG as much and over time more money than what they earn now. Dare to think further than the next week. I don't think you believe in playerbase growth of Pox Nora.

I would agree that DoG bespeaks intelligence, hence they're looking into what the playerbase believes to be good for the game, this poll shows exactly that, so I'm fairly certain it won't instantly be thrown into file 13 as you so unthoughtfully suggested.

I like where you're going with this, it's a fairly solid idea in my opinion. Core set runes rewards would need to be worked out though. I don't like the idea of giving people a daily core set rune even when they're not logging in though, in my opinion for rewards to be meaningful you have to do something for them.

Sincerely,

Josh753

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  12. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Voted no, simply because I know it will not happen.
    Why stress our heads with something that has a 0.001 chance of happening?
    Edit: I take that second part back.

13. Zenity

It wouldn't be a meaningful reward, but it would be an incentive to come back after a long break. That can only be good for the game. Of course you'd get a lot more rewards for playing actively.

But anyway, that was just an example of what can be done once you have the ability to reward players from a large stock of untradable items (untradeable so it can't be abused with multiple accounts).

Poxbrothers likes this.
  14. mario75

mario75 The King of Potatoes

free or very very cheap!

15. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Simply put, I'm under the opinion that we should copy Hearthstone free to play model in every regard, aspect and mechanic. Just do it like them.
    So yeah, Core set for free of all factions would be cool.

16. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I put some more thought into it and I am certain I wouldn't want this to happen, but I can't pinpoint why. I think it has something to do with owning a rune "losing" its value, but it's pretty vague in my head atm. I'll get back to this.
    Note that this is coming from someone with the tinyest rune pool possible too.

17. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

New dudes would get a great pool to start with and will work hard to get the newer runes. Every newcomer that ask for aid in the forum is told to "Just buy an extended box, it's worthy." No one would buy a core set bux, is that true?

About the veteran players, when this comes out, every core rune they have is auto-deforged so they gain a bit reward for their new free-runes.

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ladies ladies

one pound fish

19. Zenity

One thing to keep in mind is that when any runes become free / untradable, the current ones could (and should IMO) remain in circulation as tradable collector's editions (no difference other than some label or mark to distinguish them. Maybe an automatic color tinting or hue shift at most).