Adaptive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Strings, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think it would be better if it only worked on friendly spells. Situations where you are in a mirror match, or a half mirror (split faction) where one side is running adaptive is unjustly punitive. In KF vs KF for example, the side who is running the Fae is easily favoured. Similar in IS vs IS with WeG (less so thanks to blink I think). There really is not a need for this IMO as the ability works fine in non-mirror games. It just seems fruitless to punish a player because of their faction.

Thoughts?

2. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

I concur, the thought of an SL mirror match with Myx Adamants growing to epic powerhouses terrifies me to my very core.

...Or you could always spell spam less.

profhulk likes this.
  3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Its a good decision from a balance standpoint. I think its benefit enough when you gain from your own spells and gaining from opponent spells and a hidden detector is excessive without good reason.

Flavor, which I never think is a balance influencer, would probably lean towards the way it is.

4. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I think it's an uncreative lame win-con ability anyway. It should give some temporary more significant creative buff or be reworked to a less late game vanilla win-con.

5. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

The idea that this is bad is nutty. Playing IS, which has the most meta adaptive champs, you often end up with mirror matches where one of the ISers is running an adaptive champ. I have to change my strategy in such a game. Casting fewer spells for example. I can't really think of to many games where I lost simply because of my opponent having an adaptive champ from the faction I was playing. IMO this type of mechanic is what makes Pox a good game.

Now lets talk about an significant imbalanced match. SL player playing Statue VS an IS player. Not only cant the IS player use spells efficiently but the SL player isn't running any spells to work vs the IS bonus.

The IS player gets no FF bonus vs the SL bonus plus the IS player can't use spells. OUCH! Does the ISer even have a chance????

6. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

rofl 10/10

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Dresnar20365988

Do you have me on google alerts Jib? Are you stalking me? How is it you remember games I played years ago? I mean I just gotta ask...

Why you so mad Bro?

8. kat7ra

kat7ra Member

From a deck building point of view this shouldn't be any problem imo.
    You don't put a adaptive in your bg because you want to counter that faction, as it's a pretty bad "counter" as counters go and you kinda build around adaptive anyway.
    Shouldn't effect the usage of ability I think, but it does stop it being silly vs a mirror match.

9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

This thread has given laffs to mine self thanks to Dresnarnumbers.

Sepulcher and Razzoriel like this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I wonder what went through your head when you found out that some people are actually smart

11. Dresnar20365988

Why?

Why you so mad?

Bro?

Why you so mad bro?

12. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Make blacklabel brew give adaptive to IS champions, So mirror games will be even. What? Are there other factions?

13. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

I like it. I understand you lose a bit of the dynamics, but it seems like an un-planned dynamic. Having it only work for friendly units feels cleaner.

Woffleet and kat7ra like this.
  14. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

On a similar note, have a look at the Lightning Rod (SP equip, granted by Cyclonic Fesh double tapping). I believe that should also only effect friendly (equip owner, not who is equipped) lightning damage, as when it is equipped onto a champion with attack - lightning it nullifies their attack (they damage themselves). I know that is a lot less flavourful (lightning rods don't discriminate on owners), but it also seems like an overly punitive function.

15. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Some things never change, I see.

16. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

It might also be good to remove the faction specific names form it. Just have it be this (for simplicity's sake):
    Adaptive: When a friendly spell that shares a faction with this unit is successfully cast, this unit gains +1 damage and +4 hp.

This would also make it easier to understand, imo. Unless of course, there was at some point a plan to make them different for the different factions, but that isn't really necessary is it? Please say no.

17. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Wow so something that has been around forever mostly to punish spell spam, is getting axed.

That's lame =/

18. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

jab, man, adaptive is there to promote spell spam, spellswallower, council: spells and spell aegis are there to punish it

SireofSuns likes this.
  19. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Hey, something we agree on. Cool. :D

20. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Whaaaaaaaaat.

How does Adaptive punish spell spam when you're the one reaping stat benefits from your own spells? I'm looking forward to your response.

21. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It punishes your opponent for not spell spamming as good as you are. In other words: dey b sum bichazshos hoo b getn wurkt

Thbigchief and profhulk like this.