First Impressions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andralexis, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

As a Kanen player, I like this changeup. I think the focus has shifted from superchamps (kiergana and slipped) to win you the game in power turns, to general strategy and tactics turn by turn, and capitalizing on small advantages, which is the way the game should be played.

Remember the simplification of champions and their nerfing is relative, everything has been brought down a notch. This is bringing the game back to a simpler time, a better time with reduced powercreep. Any rational person who plays this game can see this is for the better in the long run, for both old players and new.

Nautilak and Lauremoon like this.
  2. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

I dunno, I played against some Barb deck and one of their champs seemed to operate almost the same as slipped used to, except there wasn't a deck limit -- was annoying. As a Kanen player, what does your current deck look like and how is it doing? I keep running into some really ridiculous exos in other themes and looking at my now underwhelming dogs and feeling like they got a raw bargain in the revamp. It doesn't seem like Kanen really got simplified, so much as their best cards lost the one or two things that made them strong and got stuck with stuff they didn't need.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  3. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yes, unfortunately this is how I feel as well.
    I generally agree that the revamp was needed and changing champs was a good thing, but I don't think it actually acomplished much.
    For instance, themed bgs got gutted hard. Speaking strickly from a ST player perspective, you either run meta or go home. Yetis, Ferrens, Lonx, Flying, all got butchered. This displeases me a lot, since I'm a themed player.
    Also, we went from a meta where running efficient champs was the goal, to a meta where running cheap efficient champs is the goal. In that regard, it seems like whoever spams cheap champs more wins, thus why mogas seem so OP, etc. I don't like this at all, it restricts gameplay.
    The only thing I won't complain is how terribly bad/good some champs are. It's humanly impossible to redesign so many runes in such a little time, specially considering the devs have been away from the game for so long and had little to no knowledge on how the game was being played.
    It will take time for the dust to settle, with buffs/nerfs to champs and whatnot.
    I know my post sounds very negative, but I just don't feel the urge to play Pox anymore. It seems I don't accomplish nothing by playing it at all, since my main goal was to achieve Battlemaster, and I've done it a while ago already. I feel pretty bad for the people who spend their whole days playing Pox and spamming games - I dont think they realise they are throwing their life away for absolutely nothing. I mean, if the guy is good at playing games thats totally cool, go play LoL or something and earn some money.
    Also, no revamp on non champ runes makes me a very, very sad panda.
    Either way, I'm very appreciative of all the hard work the Owlz put into this, I just think that for the most part champs got changed to worse. You could totally reduce powercreep and whatnot by having a different approach.
    But hey, I'm an optmistic fellow - I will be playing the game and still be around once non champ runes get tweaked.
    Until then, though, I will be grabbing some popcorn and read all the rage tears on the forums.

4. Pipster

No offense Pede, but you insult yourself and everyone else on these forums when you say something like "I feel pretty bad for the people who spend their whole days playing Pox and spamming games - I dont think they realise they are throwing their life away for absolutely nothing." Just because you can game for money if you're in the 0.01 percentile, doesn't mean your time spent on games like Pox where there is no e-sport scene is wasted, irrespective of how fun or boring you think the game is.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

This sums up this entire revamp.

6. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Spells just became a LOT more cost-efficient -- especially removal spells. I have a lot more motivation to run Doom or Domination, etc., when all my foe's champs are costing him 80-90+ nora. Likewise, stuff like Clay Form, Grimlic's Mirror, and even Mirror Trap are probably going to see more popularity.

7. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

But you're casually glossing over how good all the ~60 nora Kanens are in this new environment. A boost champ and an Idol is not a huge investment to make the whole thing work.

StupidJerk likes this.
  8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well, I definetely don't insult myself by saying this, but if I did insult others I apologize. Thing is, at least from my perspective, games should be played for fun, but also with a little sense of accomplishment. At the moment, for me at least, Pox achieves neither.
    The point of my sentence was that while this revamp was necessary, it didnt accomplish much because theres a lot of work to be done. And while revamping champs is a start, then you have to revamp non champ runes and then implement the whole NUX, etc., etc. etc.
    And to be completely honest I'm disapointed at how theme bgs got gutted, and how Pox will turn into a one dimensional battle of who spams cheap champs the most.
    But hey, feel free to disagree.

9. Pipster

I share the same opinion as Jib on Kanen. I think in this enivornment the more cost-efficient Kanen are going to shine, and we'll see greater synergy between pack leader and pack mentality champs, with the increase in boost kanen champs and pack leader champs. But time will tell.

@Pede: Yeah, you're right, it is your personal opinion and it's not my place to comment.

10. Explosteevo

Explosteevo Member

I don't think anyones happy with the revamp in it's current state (asides sp players). But lets be productive and help by firstly putting our questions and suggestions to moles1901 thread q&a with gedden. Gedden the past two q&a's has been amazing spending hours of his time answering our questions and i'm sure today will be no exception.

11. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

There are so many abilities that you can actually name as redundant that I don't get how you even think those two come close, they're hardly even parallel.

The new Masochist ability is basically a worse version of tough 2, outside of situations where compounded with tough or enlightened, it'll do the same thing but occasionally be deprecating since it'll mean more damage from decay, and kindred anti-healing.

Aerial Supremacy has no negative, it's just +4 stats exclusive to certain units.
    High ground doesn't add defensive abilities, and is essentially neutral in stats. It gives a bonus to a situation while penalizing you in another; it's an ability meant to be cost efficient.

12. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

Spending time doing something that you enjoy is never a waste of time, it's personal enrichment.

Nautilak and Sepulcher like this.
  13. b33rdragon

b33rdragon The King of Potatoes

There is no question they put a ton of time and work into this, but I am still head scratchin' on what they did.

14. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

I'm very confused, on the verge of bewilderment, as to how most of these champions were re-priced. It seems there's little rhyme or reason to the cost of abilities and how things were scaled.

I love the simplification and ability consolidation, but the pricing is what's tripping me up.

15. Garr123

I'm curious what your deck is looking like now. I keep shuffling around cards and it feels like every match I lack a real heavy hitter or threat to keep them from just mowing through my dogs.

16. Osidan

Osidan I need me some PIE!

Geekal is super OP now! At 88ish nora, range 1-4.

17. b33rdragon

b33rdragon The King of Potatoes

Hmmm, what to put in this bg?
    I'll pick the 128 stitched Merged.
    lolwut

18. Tal3234

Tal3234 Devotee of the Blood Owl

yep...but one whit nora is less OP... but yes ! Geek is OP now :)

19. Pipster

I completely agree PoxJedi, you'll find that I was quoting another member when I type that, thus the quotation marks.

@Garr I've added you IG. We can talk about our BGs there.

Poxjedi likes this.
  20. Garr123

Maybe stitched got boned too. My Tortun deck still isn't flooring me, and someone was saying Leoss got the shaft. Maybe I'll hold off on playing until people have sorted out which themes are workable, since that's why I was excited for the revamp in the first place.

21. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Some of these changes are just downright hilarious. It's a testament to how badly DOG ****ed up with the revamp, that Tanglefoot retaining flurry (without pariah or skirmisher to restrain him) isn't even being mentioned.