If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SirHazyrd, Jun 27, 2014.

1. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

Anybody have any opinions on the mentor thing? I was kind of interested to hear someone else's opinion on how we could try to bolster the community to give the few new people that might be coming in a good solid reason to want to stick around.

2. Baalzamon

Baalzamon I need me some PIE!

I think that everyone just needs to calm down and give the developers time to adjust things accordingly. The Pox community needs to post suggestion threads about the champs that need to be fixed and try to come up with constructive ways to make them better than their current state.

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It doesn't really work unless it's a buddy type program where you bring in a RL friend. If there are rewards it will be abused for them. If it's just a communication thing it will fall apart due to mentors disappearing.

My opinion, if you can make it work them greatness!

4. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

I agree completely. It would be wonderful to figure out a way to make it work, but like you said, rewards would be abused like hardcore drugs, and if it was basically working on an honor system, it would all but fall apart. I had also thought of giving newbies increased gold rate for the first 2 weeks, or free runes or something, but then people would just make multiple accounts and abuse that too...

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Wow had a pretty good buddy system because it gave stuff that wasn't all that valuable to scammed like mobility aids and increased leveling.

Maybe you could make a newbie program that eventually gave you access to the whole core set but then runes were not tradable or levelable. Increased gold rates wouldnbennice, but abusable. Instead you could have milestone awards that dropped you gold in decent amounts but too small to make it worth.it to continually reroll accounts .

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

It completely contradicts everything the Jedi stand for as enumerated by Yoda in the original trilogy, who absolutely dealt in absolutes: "DO OR DO NOT; There is no try." The Jedi were an order of monk-knights who had drawn up rigid codes of ethics and use of the force. This is why there were no force-adept people who combines Sith and Jedi powers, or who were neutral. Because both Jedi and Sith deal in absolutes and demanded unwavering loyalty and commitment to one or the other side of the force.

The reason this garbage line made it into those garbage movies shows the incredible absurdity of the films and devastating shortsightedness of George Lucas. George Bush had recently said "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists" to congress, which riled up liberals in the country. Lucas decided to script Darth Vader to deliver basically the same line, to which Obi-Wan responds with the gem you quoted. Only problem is, apart from the intrusion of contemporary politics into what could otherwise have been a timeless story, it's just plain not accurate. Jedi are absolutists as much as the Sith.

7. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

Just to be safe; I wasn't trying to put myself above anyone, or anything like that. My "part of the solution/ problem" quote was aimed purely at the people that got mad over their prized champion(s) costing more and threatening to leave if it wasn't fixed immediately.
    I just don't want anyone to think I was being an ass.

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

my mad-ometer just broke

anyhow about the mentor program, i think it could work if you had a pool of possible mentors and didn't try to assign one mentor per person/group of people- gives the learners a greater number of viewpoints, and better flexibility for everyone i'd think

9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

So you're basically saying, send all the new guys to KTCAOP and be done with it? Nicely done.

SirHazyrd likes this.
  10. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

I actually just had a pretty decent idea. However I'm not sure if it's been suggested before, and it really belongs in the "Rune Ideas and Suggestions" forum.
    Basically a tournament where only public decks could be used, and only new accounts (I'm not sure if that could actually be controlled automatically or not) could enter. Free entry. I don't know how often it would need to run, but basically, newbies would play each other with the public decks they unlocked with the faction tutorials, and winner would get a free, playable deck. It wouldn't even have to be a full faction or split. Just a playable, level-able, trade-able deck. Going through a couple tutorials, and playing all the way through a tournament would be too much work for it to really be worth rolling a new account to abuse the free runes. Especially because you would have to win. Maybe semi-finalists and finalists could get a few free runes, just not a whole deck. So it wouldn't be so soul crushing to lose after making it so far.

I'm gonna search the suggestion forum, and possibly post this over there.

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

your problem turns into what makes a "new account"

also, trust me, winning is not a problem against a group of new players. if it's a group of other smurfs then you start having issues, but that's on a few levels

12. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

I would like to clarify that they had the codebase for many months before March. March was just when DOG took over the controls. So likely a lot of this stuff has been in the works for much longer than just when DOG started hosting the game officially. :)

SirHazyrd likes this.
  13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it's a dayyyyyyyzzzz

14. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

Whoa, you lost me there with your hip young lingo.
    Smurf?
    Also...I guess that's kind of what I was asking...is there any way we could define a "new account?" Would level work? Or maybe just make it so once you've won free runes from being one of the finalists, or the deck from winning, you can't do it again?

I did not know that. That's really kind of disappointing. I don't know exactly what kind of a mess Pox was in at the end of it's stay with SOE, but I've heard it was shitty. Maybe it's just going to take more than we thought to clean it up.

15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

a "smurf" is another name for an alternate account

SirHazyrd likes this.
  16. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

Oh...I have no problem with the term, it works...but how does that make sense? lol

17. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

hell if i know

18. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

The people who wrote and maintained the code for SOE (for the most part) are the people working on the code for DOG. If you want to call their code shitty, you are welcome to do so. However, after having worked on the code myself I can say it is not so much shitty as just very complex. There is a lot of moving pieces and it takes time to get through all the layers to get to what you want to do with it.

19. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Its also probably rather messy from all the years of tacking on new stuff left and right. Which is bound to happen, really.

20. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

I wasn't trying to say the code was shitty. I was just saying I had heard that SOE ruined Pox with all the stuff they tried to add or take out or whatever. I don't know that to be fact, I'm just going off of the waves of terrible he said she said.
    Also, you've worked on the code yourself? When/ How/ why? I'm interested :)