How to Fix Your Theme Deck from Being Shoeboxed by the Revamp?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elric, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Theme decks took a big hit from this revamp (except Moga, who are stronger now).

How would you fix your theme deck without making it OP?

--------------------------------------
    Here's how I would fix my Stitched deck:

1) Stitched First
    Stitched First really does not need to have both upgrades be Reconstruct abilities as their cooldowns are shared. It would be better to allow him to have a useful ability for his second upgrade. Keep the first upgradeable ability as Reconstruct abilities, but make the second upgradeable ability as some useful options, like Transfer Life 1, so he can actually make use of his Reconstitute ability.

2) Stitched Hexer
    Let Stitched Hexer have his 7-Speed back. He had it before the revamp. He's only 38 HP after the revamp. Stitched need at least 1 champ that can move more than 6 spaces after the first round.

3) Stitched Librarian
    Give Stitched Librarian 6-Speed. He already lost his Detection ability. At least with 6-Speed, he'd be able to move 7 spaces on a round if he took the Teleport upgrade.

4) Stitched Magician
    Stitched Magician should have Metamorphosis as an upgradeable ability. It obviously should not be on the basic form as that would be OP since reconstructors could make him. Metamorphosis gives you a reason to actually put Stitched Magician in your Stitched deck as it gives you a way to deal with enemy champions that you would otherwise have no answer for. Also, please give him +5 HP to make him 35 HP. 30 HP which he got after the revamp is just too low for a 60+ Nora champion.

5) Stitched Mirrorskin
    Stitched Mirrorskin could really use Detection 3 as an upgrade. He has mirrors all over himself. He should be able to see all around. Maybe as an upgrade that replaces one of the Foe abilities that he has as an upgrade choice. After all, the Foe abilities are just too situational. Stitched would benefit greatly from having at least one champion that has Detection 3 after Stitched Librarian lost it in the revamp. Also, please give him +2 Damage. Currently, he is at 6-Damage, which is less than many moga.
    --------------------------------------

What are your ideas for the theme deck that you want to run?

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Might want to change your title to reflect only stitched or your thread will get messy and confusing.

3. StupidJerk

StupidJerk I need me some PIE!

Stitched really didn't get hit that hard. I'm still playing them and loving them, the only thing that I think it really needs is one or two 7-speed units. Having none of them is pretty painful. I agree with the sentiments on Stitched First, Hexer, and Librarian. I don't think Magician needs Metamorphosis since UD has the much more convenient Fading Recollections - if it were to get anything, I'd prefer Grant-Flight back to make Monolith actually runnable.

That said, I don't think Stitched should be buffed before any of the unviable themes are brought up to at least the same level.

4. Elric

No, it would actually be great if other players posted how they wanted DOG to fix the themes that they want to play.

5. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

you wait until the first balance patch (gedden or senshu was hinting at this weekend) which they stated was going to be geared towards themes.

Morfeas likes this.
  6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I dunno if skeletons are shoebox, but the undead magister should probably get shortlived 1 added to base with the cost reduction that it brings. that guy is crazy overpriced. he's only run for spell blockade so his cost has to be on par with spells. shortlived 1 would make using it a bit more tactical as well.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Rokkushun likes this.
  7. Elric

Menalaus is glad that you want to rely on Fading Recollection. LOL

8. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

Give Ferrens back Ferren Focus. Take away their stupid non-sense random debuff abilities that hardly synergize at all. Even when they do manage to work together there aren't any useful results. There. That was an easy fix.

Give Tortuns back the Tortun's Trade of old. Global range mana back per Tortun in play, no activation, or if an activation then no cooldown. I'm ok with giving split faction back to them for that result as well. Without their heroes having Split Hero removed, i never saw the appeal. Readjust their stats accordingly so that the silly KF pre-nerf adjustment is fixed.

And finally, stop giving all the units in almost the entire game 1 upgrade that is a tiered Rank 1-3 choice that is generally not impactful in any way, and then putting every single other good former upgrade on the 2nd upgrade choice. With all the abilities taken away from 75% of the units, the loss of these upgrades isn't needed.

9. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

How to fix your IS bg:

Make a good one and play your butt off.

10. G_Ro91

G_Ro91 The King of Potatoes

Draksar Phalanx

Blackscale Centurion - Drop protective and give back either drive+cast: blood of the dragon or drive+command block.
    I feel like this would give him back his supportive role as he was the key to my phalanx success a lot of the time.

Draksar Archer - Nora cost reduced -4.
    Pre-Revamp, this guy could reach outrageous levels and was out of line. He didn't get hit too bad, but enough to reconsider including him. His role was important as one of the few viable range choices for this style bg. I mean, what is a phalanx without your archers waiting in the back at the ready??

Draksar Legionnaire - Nora reduction and and violent added back.
    I feel since he got a range nerf that the violent buff would help keep him in line. Right now, for his cost, he is just not runnable. Nexus aura is a great ability for this style bg, but he not worth including for that reason alone.

I talked with a few other people and draksar are still somewhat viable in the state they are in, but they really have no direction. It just feels like I'm splashing in only the good draksar with my Temple Guards boosting their defense. I picked SL as my go to faction because in any other similar game I play like this I was always about a defensive strategy. While this theme wasn't nerfed to oblivion, I do feel as if it got significantly weaker.

Below are just a couple of ideas I want to throw out and see what others think:

Draksar Interrogator - Replace ability in second upgrade path with weaken spells.
    I realize that this would probably be a "go to" ability for this champ, but obviously one of the greatest weaknesses to bundling up a bunch of champs is spell spam (I'm looking at you Maddening Echoes). Another big weakness is just range in general. Aside from the archer, this is a melee bg, so they would still have a great weakness.

Draksar Lord - I've mentioned this probably 100 times now. DRAKSAR WARCRY!!!! Hell, raise his nora even more for all I care. I just want one day, before I die, to see this happen. He needs SOMETHING to justify that nora cost.

I really hope this gets seen out there by the devs. Gedden seems to be paying real close attention to these, so that's awesome. Draksar isn't one of the most popular themes out there, but man would this make me happy if some of these changes would be implemented. If anything, I would like to see Blackscale and Legionnaire changed the most.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  11. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

DRAKSAR WARCRY on drakie Lord 2014 !!!

ALSO FALLEN DRAKSAR AS SPLIT RUNE !

12. G_Ro91

G_Ro91 The King of Potatoes

THAT WOULD BE SO AMAZING!!! Every other dual race champs have that luxury :mad:

13. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

yup, he would become my anty Pally draksar unit hehe

14. Elric

I don't think Short lived 1 would be good on Undead Magister because Spell Blockade will not trigger if Undead Magister is destroyed.

15. Elric

Thanks for contributing to the thread! :)

16. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Tbh I get the impression he could do with just losing the upgrades. They are geared on him lasting a long time, but Spell Blockade means he is going to be 1hp with no way to heal.

Dude needs Scorn and Soulsift. He should be getting in there, blocking a spell and then dying for some death benefit :p

17. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

At this point we have to wonder what's the direction they want to take with "themes".
    If I was new to the game I would think that making a mix bg is always the goal in order to be competitive.

18. BroWatchThis

BroWatchThis Devotee of the Blood Owl

I don't have any 7 spd champs in my witch bg, and it's only painful against KF, ST, or IS (since they all get +1 spd or +1 ap because of shrine bonus... early game hurts against those factions).

19. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

What if Theme Decks had different set but still balanced set of abilities / stats to make all the deck mesh more? So, for example, a Stitched First (with a slightly different name so you can tell the difference like TD Stitched First) you got from the Theme Deck (not one you traded for or had separately) would be separate from normal Stitched First when present in the original Theme Deck (remember you can't delete those or else you'd be unable to queue up in Theme Matchmaking Games). This would promote Theme Matchmaking Games (let's face it - it never gets played ever after the first week of the feature's release) and sales as well :p

20. ZexuZai

ZexuZai Well-Known Member

I play a jakei deck almost purely for st. It does good, good champs, good speed, good abilities. I think they could use a slight cost reduction and maybe a few ability cuts.

One of the champs in there I would like a change for is frost queen. Amazing range, good damage, distraction/other upgrades, and majestic. Over all powerful rune. I feel it is a little high in cost. I understand that range= cost, but nearly 90 nora for it seems to be a bit much.

I feel frostwing glaive is also a bit over costed. Once he lost his range on glaive bounce(which I understand why) he should have been lowered, maybe down to 80. At this point he is just a decent melee champ that costs a bit too much.