DOG's stance on... "unruly" players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rokkushun, Jul 2, 2014.

1. CravenLestat

CravenLestat Active Member

Thank you Chiao

2. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

That's about on par with the quality of his posts around here.

Why am I surprised?

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

I'm just playing man :)

profhulk likes this.
  4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I hope he is NOT gelded either.

5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Not to defend racism or anything but you aren't forced to click on the chat tab.

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

took a whole page for someone to get it

DarkJello likes this.
  7. DarkJello

@Dagda

That was my first thought, upon reading your comment. Glad to hear I deciphered your message. +1 sir

8. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

I trolled a bit so was fun for me, but it is pretty toxic.

9. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Gotta admit i've seen players abusing each other in lobby on several occassions, most of the time its simple trolling but it does sometimes evolve into personal stuff and even racial abuse.

10. Seen Justice

Seen Justice New Member

Zomg.... Someone telling bad words over the internet! Call 911!!!

They made a /ignore command for a reason...

11. Truce

Truce Member

subtle anti SA thread

Dagda likes this.
  12. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'd agree, but at the point of slurs like "******" it gets to the area where bans should be handed out somewhat liberally.

13. DarkJello

Might as well add the following while at it: brownster, typical white, taco lover, redskin, yellow, whitey, cracker, redneck, Yankee, and black-eyed pea!!

Someone might be offended. And if we can save the feelings of even 1 person on the planet... Or so goes the "logic" for most laws these days.

I STRONGLY suggest using the ignore feature on any gamer that is consistently worse than a Repube or Dimwit.

StupidJerk likes this.
  14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Contrary to how the media tells you that you should behave, when someone is being and idiot and/or bigot you can just walk away from it. You don't have to spend maximum effort to the 20th degree making a big deal about it.

So that person is a knob. Great. Close chat, dominate his face, ignore if necessary and move on.

15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

https://screen.yahoo.com/word-association-000000441.html

putting that aside, though, what exactly does doing nothing do for you? there is no prisoner's island on the internet. there is no prisoner's island in real life. allowing an ignorant minority to stay that way out of laziness and inertia seems irresponsible to me, among so many other things.

i dunno.

StupidJerk and Rokkushun like this.
  16. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

The thing i hate about this stuff is that i hate coddling sensitive people.
    I did a report in my college speech course about curse words (vulgarities, swears, expletives, etc).

I researched the origin of these words and how they came to be taboo.
    Most of them never were and through perversions became the slurs we know today.
    Also, a few had multiple origins because so many people don't know where they came from they created their own.
    F*ck is an example. If you research it you will get about 3 different origin stories. The most reliable seemed to be one about a poem Flen Flyys.

So alot of these words are ambiguous and mysterious in nature. However we have a learned dislike for them.
    Generation after generation has told their children not to use these words. The media reinforces this with censorship which largely was to quelm uptight parents.
    So we have these words that someone, somewhere, decided were bad. Not for any particular or even a good reason. Just because.
    If you research the origin of these words then you'll understand fully what i mean.
    For instance the word F*ck i mentioned earlier was forbidden by the Catholic church when they were in rule in retaliation to the poem that spoke ill of the clergy (ely).
    So because some peoples feeling got hurt over some literature (which the word was a bastardization of latin and how we know it today is still a derivative) they banned the word out of pride.

So when you have these words that have no merit then it makes you wonder why they are so evocative.
    Thing is that it doesnt matter what word you use, its the intention and meaning behind it.
    People playfully use slurs and "bad language" against each other all the time. Even racial slurs though controversial in some cultures are used by the younger generations frequently and in a variety of ways.
    Words are just words. Its their meanings that give them power and in that its how you receive and react to them that make them potent.

Thats why stuff like this irritate me because as many people said, you can just ignore the chat. Its not even like this is a vocal audio chat and the person can talk to you through the entirety of the game.
    Even then their are audio settings...but eh.
    Disciplining people for utilizing their freedom of speech because some people don't know how to deal with people and make victims of themselves is silly to me.
    Harassment is different. I know that some of you would say that this is exactly what that is, but its not really.
    If we're in a match and we have words and you don't like whats being said. Ignore chat and finish the game.
    If the person makes a comment in the lobby, that could be harassment, but i still wouldn't call for it then.
    Get into a another game (queue, match in BG, etc) They can't talk to you in there.
    If they pm you, that is harassment and that could receive warnings a disciplinary actions.
    Even if they don't pm you, if when you get out of the game, they continue to harass you, then that is terms for warning and disciplinary action.
    If whenever you get on in the future they make it a point to harass you, then that is terms for warning and disciplinary action.

I think there is an ignore function in the client anyway, but eh.
    Also, if you respond in a negative way to any of this, then most of this is invalid.
    If they "harassed" you in game, and you are sharing put downs with them then after the game in the lobby the argument spills over and then you decide to get "offended and victimized"....
    NO! It doesn't work that way. You cant participate in it , then get upset when you start losing or you're getting tired of it.
    Sure, a mediator could be brought in and after a warning from a mod if they continue to harass you UNPROVOKED then thats a call for disciplinary action.
    Alot of people have the mentality they once they engage in these disputes they can just victimize themselves and call mommy to put the bully in timeout when they don't like where the situation ended up.
    Thats not how it should be and you are just as responsible.

TL,DR:

Words are words, get over it. Get some self esteem and welcome to the real world where you have to learn to deal with different (alot of negative) personalities. Either do it with grace, or lash back, don't go whining for help and victimizing yourself.
    There are tools in the game to ignore and you dont have to be apart of any harassment you don't welcome. Everything doesn't deserve a disciplinary action or special attention. Extreme cases should be dealt with, with appropriate punishments. Most of us are adults, so learn to handle yourself as one and learn how to deal with unfavorable people and difficult personalities in a way that best suits you. Victimization is sad and pathetic and trust me, some one else probably feels the same way about you.

Baskitkase, DarkJello and G_Ro91 like this.
  17. DarkJello

I don't want anyone running around the globe FORCING competent adults to "be good" or else. "Being good" is almost always VERY subjective, and it constantly shifts from month to month. Unfortunately, humanity is much more likely to contain an ignorant majority on any given topic. Sad panda.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Baskitkase likes this.
  18. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I'd like to add my name to the list of "get over it and add him to ignore" supporters. You don't need mommy and daddy to protect you from naughty words or get revenge on someone for being picked on in chat. If you can't stick up for yourself on the internet, then just don't click "Chat."

Joker, StupidJerk and Baskitkase like this.
  19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Thats because you've been conditioned to react in this situation and that failure to react puts on on the badguy side of the line. You've been taught that to not make a big deal out of it is irresponsible, other things and also makes you a racist. Me, I DGAF what people say. I'm sorry Dag, but you aren't going to change anyone by policing the internet. Their parents failed them long ago. I say just shut out the negativity and therefore, thanks to the internet being the way it is, it ceases to exist.

Also, if you ignore a rager, I'd think it would make them rage harder, which is funny, since you never even saw it and they just went through an emotional WW3.

DarkJello, NiGhtMaRiK and SPiEkY like this.
  20. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

of course being good is subjective. i'm not going to argue with that. i'd instead argue that it changes more frequently than month to month, and of course also shifts person to person. it's a very vague ideal. however, if all you don't want is people "FORCING competent adults" to do things, then i don't think we've got any real conflicts. most adults aren't competent. a decent number of the people you see on the internet aren't adults. you never really know who is who. and add to both of those things, i'm not forcing jack Bane Shift.

i'm merely trying to get other people to understand things that they don't. believe me, i fully realize that i can't control other people over the internet. i've been working on it, and while i know that if i post like this i can expect responses like that and so on (for example, i knew both of you would come back at me and that spieky would like at least one of the posts), that's a far cry from actually getting through to people.

it's interesting, because almost none of the bits about me there are true. some of the bits about you i don't think are either, although hey, not my chair not my problem

so far as ignoring ragers go, it's just like ignoring a bully. sometimes they get bored and go away. sometimes they just try harder. there's never just one answer. and really, in my experience, they're not raging for you. serial ragers are the ones that get something out of raging when it's them all alone in a soundproof box, if you follow. the world could have them ignored and they'd still be there spamming out lines of "lucker noob fgt 1v1 me irl" or whatever nonsense.

i'll just run through the list quickly, in any case-
    i wasn't conditioned all too strongly, at least not the way you're thinking of.

i think it's irresponsible not to help those in need, not that it's irresponsible to not slam on idiots.

if you didn't care about what people said, why did you argue with dmr for so long

there's always someone you can change

parents are far from the be-all end-all

yeah, you can shut out the negativity to an extent, but all you're doing is effectively making yourself a perpetual bystander to everything that person ever does. let's say your neighbor launches fireworks every night. do you 1-shoot him in the face? 2-wing him a little? 3-call the cops? or 4-use really good earplugs and draw the shades?

you see what i'm getting at? feel free to make your own answer, by the way.

edit- on a more general note, Senshu has said (i believe, i hope i'm not wrong on this) that their moderation policy is more or less based on what the playerbase seems to want. they're definitely among the more lax modcrews i've seen (not saying good or bad, just saying not on everyone's nuts). and if the playerbase can be shown to want something, doesn't that eliminate the "but vocal minorities" argument

pretty big 'if', in fairness.

StupidJerk and Nautilak like this.