Thoughts on Dragonbark Protector?

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Xirone, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

What are your impressions of Dragonbark Protector? It seems like Defender 3 is going to be very nice in an already tanky theme. The AoE damage will be quite useful. It does, of course, take time to bring him out.

2. Xirone

Bug Alert: Dragonbark Protector is deployed as a relic with 20 HP. The text of the ability mentions it should have 15 HP. Also, if you use Grimilic's Mirror on the champ version of the rune, the resulting deploy is a champion (i.e. Grimlic's Mirror lets the new champ bypass its first few rounds as a tree).

Gorebucket likes this.
  3. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

I honestly love DragonBark, very pleased with the way he turned out. Not to mention he fits perfectly into my magic amp bg :) I can see lots of Overgrowth shenanigans with him.

scrampy likes this.
  4. Xirone

Magic Amp, FTW!

Edit: For your deck, it is another fatty. It is time to make Forest Dragon smaller!

dsjtheman likes this.
  5. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

I feel like Treefolk have gained another piece of an already dominant phalanx and I'm not looking forward to facing things like Def 8 Oakthumpers.

6. Xirone

Visually, I wish the relic form were just a little larger. The relic looks so tiny. I know it is the sprite from Nature's Balance but it could be a little larger.

7. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

How does that interaction work? Do you cast overgrowth, wait 4 turns for the dragon to respawn and with him comes the saplings? Does it spawn the saplings if the relic is destroyed a turn before overgrowth kicks in?

8. Xirone

Just like on Sporegill, you can cast Overgrowth on the Dragonbark relic and the relic becomes a champion before the relic is destroyed. With that said, the combo is usually better on the Sporegill because on the Dragonbark Protector that is 100+ nora you are using for more power in 3 rounds.

9. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

So would the saplings still come when the champion appears? Would they come after the champion appears (on the 5th turn)? I'm assuming that it still spawns the saplings as I do not see why it would be used otherwise. I've never seen the sporegill combo so I am not completely familiar with the interaction.

10. Xirone

Yeah, you still get the saplings.

scrampy likes this.
  11. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

hes very fun and flavorful. defender 3 is the way to go on him. the whole relic thing is cool and flavorful but i doubt youll ever get him to redeploy against any halfway decent opponent. but all in all I like it...im not in love or anything, but it will be fun to play with.

12. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Dragonbark looks like a wonderful addition. Can't wait to get my hands on him.

That treedragon artwork had been floating around and I'm pleasantly shocked that it was used for an actual treedragon. :D

13. Xirone

I want to preface the following by saying I don't think Dragonbark Protector needs a buff. With that said, for discussion purposes, what do you all think about the following abilities...

Stitched (1 Nora)
    When this champion is destroyed, a Stitched Remains relic is spawned in the location this champion occupied. This champion cannot be swarmed.

Sporedrop (5 Nora)
    When this champion is deployed, it spends the first 4 turns as a Mushroom relic with 15 HP, Immobile, and Damage Shield - Poison 2. When this unit dies, it becomes the same mushroom relic.

Dragonbark (15 Nora)
    When this champion is deployed, it spends the first 4 turns as an Tree relic with 15 hp. When this unit dies, it becomes the same Tree relic.

14. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Do Grimlic's Mirror count as deploying the champion? If not, then it's working correctly I think.

15. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

Son of Sporegill and Frond.. Frondgills. That is all.

16. Skatalite

Skatalite New Member

dragonbark is too expensive...

17. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

I would think the cost should be closer to sporedrop. I mean, at least to 10 nora, maybe even closer. 4 turns is a long time to wait for a deploy, and the death relic is nice, but odds are... it will not last.

18. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Well in most cases if I can get him out early and safe from danger he's amazing, his dmg output is halarious within my magic amp. But there's a serious issue I have with deploying him in most games it takes to long for him to arrive. Sporgil has the advantage o being extremely cheap and more or a throw away champ.

I'd personally love to see dragonbark made so that he intial investment is 30 Nora (which is what the relic reads on deploy) then after the 4th turn take 45 Nora away from your bank if you don't hve enough the effect is delayed until next turn, perpetually util you can subtract the 45 Nora.. IMO that's perfect for the risk.

Tarathil, Etherielin, Xirone and 2 others like this.
  19. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Alternately, if the transformation from Sporedrop and Dragonbark happened before AP was allocated, it would shave a whole round off the time they take to be usable.

Tarathil likes this.
  20. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Or better yet it should only be three rounds so you can actually use it kn your turn.*** I'm stupid Gore just said the same thing.