Poxnora Book Club

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pipster, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i heard captain bluebear what

i read around. less so in the past few years than in those prior. currently working through Reamde (Stephenson) and Perdido Street Station (Mieville)

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Markoth, if you want more great SciFi, Stanislav Lem is up on the pedestal with Asimov in my book.

3. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

I read Riddley Walker this year. It's an astounding book.

edit: It will make you hate Cloud Atlas because Mitchell lifted every post-apocalyptic scene from Hoban, but then made them worse to fit his story. It's genuinely disgusting how similar they are.

4. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I found it's best to start with the first book starring a particular cast (like Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters) then the books that continue with that cast. If you liked Guards! Guards! the cast is followed through Men at Arms -> Feet of Clay -> Jingo -> The Fifth Elephant -> Night Watch -> Thud! -> Snuff. Night Watch is a personal favorite--it manages to be much darker than usual but pricelessly funny at the same time. Of course, humor is a very hit or miss so what works for me might not for you. :D

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

pratchett's stuff, for me (and i've read almost all of the discworld line), is largely the same book to book. once you get used to it you know pretty much how each story will go, and which quirks of which characters will pop up and so forth. it just changes the things it talks about

6. Boozha

Yeeeea, I kind of don't get what people love about Pratchett so much. Night Watch is kinda cool, but some of his later books like The Island were so phenomenally bad that I gave up reading his works

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  7. mahesar

mahesar The King of Potatoes

Anyone else read Robert Jordan? I know most people either love or hate him with little middle ground. His stuff is along the lines of the classic fantasy formula of the heroes and villains chasing each other across the storyscape. I haven't finished the last few books in the series, mostly because I'm not sure I want to see how Sanderson finished things after Jordan died.

8. HannibalFee

HannibalFee Devotee of the Blood Owl

Does anyone know any good war fantasy books, or just some of the better ones of the warhammer 40k books?

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

haven't read The Island

i liked pratchett a lot more a few years ago, still have a bit of a soft spot but i know his style well enough at this point that i doubt anything he'd write (in the discworld line at least) would surprise me

he had a standalone a while ago called Nation that i recall liking, but it was years ago for me and i can't remember much else

10. Boozha

Well, Eragon is a bad war fantasy book, but it beats out the warhammer books. On the other hand, some vampire dramas I didn't read beat out warhammer books, because those are godawful

Good war fantasy ... Well, try Sapkowski's "Narrenturm", except being dark as Firk the series is very good, mostly war, and slightly fantasy.

11. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Gleen Cook. The Black Company.

Tor Fiction softcover omnibus editions[edit]
    1. The Chronicles of The Black Company (collects The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and The White Rose) (November 2007)
    2. The Books of the South (collects Shadow Games, Dreams of Steel, and The Silver Spike) (June 2008)
    3. The Return of The Black Company (collects Bleak Seasons, and She Is The Darkness) (September 2009)
    4. The Many Deaths of The Black Company (collects Water Sleeps, and Soldiers Live) (January 2010)

12. HannibalFee

HannibalFee Devotee of the Blood Owl

warhammer books are bad? That's disappointing. I'll look for Narrenturm then though and the books Banshee has suggested.

13. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Naomi Novik and her Temeraire series is also worth. Think the Napolean wars, but with Dragons as part of the armies.

14. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

15. Boozha

Didn't like Ready Player One a lot, but it wasn't terrible. I'm kind of the elitist jerk when it comes to books (of course only elitist relative to my taste), so ... Thats kind of a way to say "Its pretty readable". I guess.

16. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i can second the black company, they were fun

i know ryv would be upset if what's his face what'shisfaceson didn't get mentioned

erik stevenson maybe? i dunno. he was writing a lotta books that i cba to pay for (or steal, so i didn't read them)

17. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

18. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

One thing I find funny, and kind of endearing to the author, is that Rothfuss seems to have read every single book in the universe, then given them a nice short review on goodreads, including this cute book.