Overwhelmed. Returning from a long break. Halp?

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by bigabbott, Jul 25, 2014.

1. bigabbott

bigabbott New Member

I know these threads can get old, but I... don't even.

I haven't played Pox since Octopi (logging in a handful of times during SOE). Voils are the scariest rune in my meta. I played trees ironically. Even when they introduced the Patriarch and Elven Prodigy it was still a joke theme. Now not only are people talking about KF in General but people are specifically calling trees OP. Lmao. KF was always the underdog faction. I played it purely for style.

Fast forward a few years and I have what used to be good runes but hardly any idea how to play them any more, let alone upgrade them.

What the hell is an avatar? (jk, I guess I can just google this one)

Are people still farming fragments?

Does anybody have any advice as to how I should go about re-learning my runes? I've hit this wall when I've attempted to return previously and it's just really disheartening.

I have essentially every KF rune up through Path to Conquest and ~30k gold in the bank. I don't want to spend any money until I've settled in and caught the bug again.

Can I actually play and win with runes that are this old? In a lot of CCG type games it seems like newer expansions overpower older stuff over time.

I just played the KF tutorial and I DIDNT EVEN REALIZE it was KF until after the thing had ended. I didn't recognize a single unit, ability, nothing. Blarg. I just assumed there was some kind of new barbarian faction. [Edit: Em. I'm not sure what I played, but it wasn't the KF tutorial. Nevermind.]

I may have some off faction stuff I could trade out for new runes, or I could spend that gold. But I wouldn't even know where to start, being so many expansions behind.

I have this urge to delete all of my existing BGs (assuming they are no longer viable anyway), buying a set box, and starting from scratch.

I don't even know what I want. I realize I'm mostly whining.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

The game is in the middle of a revamp right now (and from the sound of it you missed a couple of others). There's been a lot of changes recently, a lot of them have made the older runes viable again. Gorebucket has a great thread up on how to play trees right now (it's stickied at the top of the KF forums). The reason that trees are so powerful is that all of the champs were toned down powerwise and the thing that made tree decks run were all of the different stacking buffs (which are only starting to be brought down). I'm confident that trees will be brought down eventually, but right now what makes a bg strong is finding as many ways as possible to buff your champs (whether through damage, ap gen, defense etc.) Everything is very different, but the core mechanics (nora cost, positioning, storing ap, etc.) are still pretty much the same. Welcome back.

bigabbott likes this.
  3. bigabbott

bigabbott New Member

Thanks. I went ahead and grabbed an Extended Set Box with the gold I had sitting around. Maybe this will give me something to work with, trade-wise.

4. mahesar

mahesar The King of Potatoes

It can steal many hours of your time, but I'd suggest taking a look over at www.poxbase.com and looking through by faction. It'll let you see all the runes, their upgrades and what all the abilities do. It won't refresh you on the basics, but it'll give you a better grip on wth is up with champs in general.

bigabbott likes this.
  5. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

I dunno if it was around then, but google poxbox. It's an automated rune trader and a pretty reliable source for figuring out the trading power of a rune.

bigabbott likes this.
  6. bigabbott

bigabbott New Member

Thanks. I'd been messing around with that a bit. Funny, we used to do all that by hand.

Edit: the trade calculation stuff, I mean.

7. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

What I do when I come back from extended breaks is I will watch the current limited/exo KF games going on to see what is good in the faction. Not so much to copy the BG but more to see what is good at the moment and the different ways KF is being played. Then I look through the KF checklist and try to see anything that would work well together and what looks good in relation to eachother. I build the best BG I can with the runes I own and just start playing. I learn about the runes from other factions by playing against them. I feel this way is better than going through every rune because there are so many runes now it is hard to remember. By only learning runes based on how often they are encountered you will significantly cut down on the amount of runes you have to know of and are only learning about runes you are likely to encounter. I also keep the checklist open to check out an unfamiliar rune that was shadowspawned. Obviously, you will be at a slight disadvantage not only because you spend part of turns reading champion abilities but also because the new spells/equips/relics will come as a surprise but I honestly feel I learn better by experiencing the runes and I think it is more fun to learn this way rather than trying to memorize thousands of runes.

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

don't trade until you're certain both of what you want and of about what you can get for what you have

also, don't be afraid to throw yourself back into the swing of things. that's really the fastest way to get it done