UD and range

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by HannibalFee, Jul 29, 2014.

1. HannibalFee

HannibalFee Devotee of the Blood Owl

Does anyone know anything better than either Grimlic, Nefari dragon, or Bok raider for range in UD bgs now?

2. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Nefari Siphon is pretty good, with burn 3.
    Goblin Archer seems a bit overpriced for the moment, but he exists.
    Caverunner/Bok Enforcer/flamecrusher all have decent pseudorange abilities w/ fire bomb 3/throw ax/flamethrower.

3. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

What are we counting as 'range', if you see what I mean?

i.e. does range 1-3 count as range? or, are we looking at 4+? Or, even further than that?

4. HannibalFee

HannibalFee Devotee of the Blood Owl

1-3 feels pretty good for being considered range, so anything not 1-2.

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Goblin archer is one of the most focused ranged units in the game atm, multi 2 + encouraged at range 6 is brutal.
    Otherwise, you can just spam throw axe/flamestrike and such.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

UD has tons of pseudo-ranged atm (Nef. Dragon, Fireslinger, Bok Raider, etc), though, as far as actual ranged units besides St. Grimolas, Gobbo Archer is great, Imp is alright (if a bit low-range) for his price, Skitter isn't bad (as in, he's pretty efficient), Cinderpede is still good, Dirtbag is auto in Fire BGs (but still solid in other BGs), Siphon is good, Harbs are good (if you have 'em), Renovators are still good, and some of the Stitched are good.

7. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

Well, then there's Demon Lich (who also brings various support stuff), Nefari Messenger (who's overcosted at the moment, but has initiative, decent damage, Life Siphon and Drive), Goblin Gloombringer (good damage and Life Siphon), Ash Maiden

Also, Balefire Knight, Bok Enforcer, Bok Warden and Priestess all have ranged attacks (though all of them have CD).

8. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

you could try deep elf ritualist she pretty good tormented + 2-4 range and healing abilities (drain for 76 nora) + she got hex 2

GabrielQ likes this.
  9. PiPPoInZ9

PiPPoInZ9 The King of Potatoes

Demonbarb Spider might be runnable in non-spider BGs(1-3). Pulling opposing champs towards other friendly mele champs is always useful.

10. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

But-but...splits ;-; .

11. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Bok Warden
    Bok Enforcer
    Balefire Knight
    Nightmare
    Minotaur Culler
    Minotaur Sentry
    Goblin Archer
    Stitched Magician
    Stitched Shaman
    Stitched Anathema
    Stitched Magearm
    Stitched Warlock

EDIT: none of those are better than Grimlic... just options to think about for range.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

you don't count the stitched ( because there stats are so uttercrap , only reason they playing is cuz of stitch abilites awesome in stitched bgs etc)

Also , bok raider
    Gatekeeper
    nef. dragon

13. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Just range options... made no claims about cost vs. stat efficiency.

14. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

Culler is a monster in Minotaur bgs. The additional mobility through doors and ease of double tapping have allowed him to perform better than Grimlic, for me at least.

15. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Reducing minimum range increases the nora cost. Range costing algorithm is based on the number of spaces you can hit.

16. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Do you think the range should be 5-6 vs. 4-6, other than nora cost savings? Personally, I'm not so hot about all the new ranges introduced by the revamp, i.e. 1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-4, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 4-6, 5-6, 3-6, 4-7, etc. It's a lot to remember. If possible, standardizing ranges would help make it easier to learn units, imo.

17. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i think the best benificial range for UD atm would be between 3-5 and 4-6 i would love to see good demon/spider/goblin/minotaur/mutant range
    I'm so bored with all this pseudo range they make the attacking quite predictable and they are quite boring

18. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Put Gloombringer back at 4-6, change his kit so he's still runnable nora wise. I'd be okay with demonbarb spider back at 1-5 range :p

allyorbase likes this.
  19. Hekwit

Hekwit Devotee of the Blood Owl

UD supposed to be faction of melee beaters. We dont need extra range units especially when we have a lots of ways to counter range units. like DS, breath of ash, cowards reach.

add 2x gob archer and grim and you will be fine...

20. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

I could see ud getting theme specific range, but they would have to be in things like goblins.
    Use abilitys like surge goblin to make them inefficient in meta decks