FW/SL Stun-Relocate-Mobilize

Discussion in 'Split Faction' started by Sirius, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

This particular deck idea was born out of 2 things: my love for a certain mix of speediness/agressivity and mobility coupled with stuns and a FW thread discussion about the RMH decktype.

I have made a small attempt at playing FW/SL RMH, but I did not like it. I found that it was too slow, while requiring many pieces and it was greatly dependant on the powerturns. Between Corruptor, Soul Siren and Dune Walkers (I really wish Dune Walkers had Grant: Trail Sand on the other upgrade path) I had 6 units with speed 5. Granted, I was mostly using Dune Walkers because I have no Whisperghasts, but still.

That being said, I moved on to trying out a Stun/Paralyze/Petrifying Gaze + Initiative/Relocation kinda thing. I like being able to decide I wanna Stun and kill a unit and then be able to bypass obstacles to do so. It's why my favourite unit is in theory the Basilisk Templar with Petrifying Gaze + Crushing Charge.

------------------------------------------------

On to the actual deck:
    http://poxbase.com/deck/Cogcd4cg cpZc7ZchLcdQCdmc44c5xC7VCjZs6Ls4Is7As12SnSFs5as5jr2jr3Qe1Fe2y

I have kept the 2x Basilisk, 2x Rumbler, 1x Transmission Relay bit that I have been using in every SL split for some time now and I added the Dragons that fit the idea. Dunewalker's Mantle is probably my best powerup option, which is why I run Sand generation and Sand generating Dragons. That's the reason why Skywing Imperator is a central piece to the bg (but at just 1x because I prefer to actually put my units in someone's face and punch, not sit back and spit). I take the lower ranks on Imperator's upgrades because the applied DoTs don't work that well with my 2x Soul Cage (I will always use Stun/Paralyze spells if the split allows me).

A small Electric dmg module ended up forming, so I guess that's kinda nice.

• My Stunners are:
    - 2x Basilisk Templar: one with Magic Immunity, one with Crushing Charge and extra regen;
    - 1x Spectral Emissary: I really wish he had some anti-range or Life Siphon with his current setup;
    - 1x Contained Thrall: with NKD for anti-range;
    - 1x Draksar Forerunner: my least favored out of my favourite stunners/CCers, but that's how the deck ended up; plus, he has anti-range;
    - 1x Bloodbinder Count: he's kinda cool with the whole DMZ relocation going and has the ability to Paralyze multiple opponents; that being said, the DMZ damage he deals can break his own Paralysis on others (I think) and Paralyzed is one of the worst versions of Stun because I can't damage the affected unit;
    - 2x Soul Cage: Paralyze is a weak Stun, but I consider spell based Stun a necessary adition due to how hard it is to actually land champion based versions.

• My relocators are:
    - 1x Soul Siren;
    - 2x Whisperghast;
    - 1x Dune Walker;
    - 1x Skybreak Dragon (self relocation in the form of Swoop, one of my favourite abilities in the game);
    - 1 of the Basilisk Templars, with Crushing Charge;
    - 1x Spectral Emissary (self);

• My sources of AP:
    - 2x Mobilization;
    - 1x Transfusion;
    - 2x Skywing Rumblers with their Initiative 2;
    (- 1x Skywing Beacon as a way to drop units closer; not AP generation, but similar)

Moving to the rest of the deck, Soul Reaver is there because it is a source of Cleanse and because of Defiling Aura assisting my goal of stunning units. Elsarin Night is there because I always like to have at least 1 protection spell/relic and I found that I especially needed protection from range. Steal Life is both my only source of healing and a good way to assist a kill.

Now on to the problems. I would have liked to have more Zombies(for Elsarin Night) and/or Dragons in. I have considered things like: Bladed Corpse (Sunder+ Shatter), Necrotaur, Polluted Martyr (initiative, big dmg AND he comes back due to Transmission Relay), Corrupted Guardian (has his own DMZ, Unstoppable and temporary big dmg+ Life Siphon) as well as Hoarfrost Dragon. Perhaps a Grim Well would work nicely too. Dunes Manticore has both Sand gen and Petrifying Gaze, but is kind of meh and I needed Detection (I'd have added Myx Matriarch, but Forerunner at least has Pin Down and anti-range).
    A bigger problem is that I fear the deck may be a bit too geared toward attrition and a slow way of doing things. I would like to have more agressive beaters. Draksar Berserker would be perfect if he could fit.

This has been the on-paper version, the one I would be aiming for. In the meantime, I have built a cheaper, easier to build version while I get used to the deck and acquire cards. Here it is:

http://poxbase.com/deck/caCogC8cg cpZC7Zc1qchLcdQCdmc44c5xc7Vs6Ls4Is7ASnSFs5as5jr2jr3Qe1Fe2y

I would like some advice about how to improve either/both versions, while keeping it within the intended playstyle (if you have a way to preserve/improve relocation and damage capability while removing sand, for example, I'm all for it). I want to note that the Basilisk Templar is not gonna budge from his slot and that I generally found that at least 2 Initiative/Reinforcement units work best for me (hence my attraction for 2x Rumbler and/or Martyr).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Hm, you have some interesting things at play here. It has been far too long since I've done any fw or fw/x bgs. But I'll dust the runes off and give it a whack and see what I can come up with.

Are you particularly married to SL? Or FW? Because I may vary and try some other split options with similar themes. But I will more than likely primarily focus on the fw/SL split you have going on here.

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

You are very particular when making bgs, so, forgive me, but I won't be analyzing your particulars builds.
    I think that you could focus on hard cc + defile + doom, and then add what it's the soul harvester module:
    http://www.poxbase.com/deck/CogCiNCnCqucpZcjFC4UC2ocilCjZs6Zs4NSgsnS7usYr2Ar1Ie20e1me2y
    Basically is doom, chain cc and apply defile if needed, meanwhile, harvest things with corruptors supported by quicken/ED/reaper's blade and action potion.
    note that reaper's blade could be very surprising on forerunner.

4. Sirius

In a way, you could say I am married to SL, but I am commiting adultery(lol). I am moreso "married" to Basilisk Templar, Skywing Beacon, Cancel Magic and Skywing Rumbler (+ some source of AP). That's actually probably a nice core that might show what "I'm about". Basilisk Templar is kind of my unit. Through playtesting, I have found that Spectral Emissary comes close. I would stick to SL only or some other full faction, but no single faction or theme so far had the exact feel I wanted.

Before this, I tried UD/SL, starting from the premise that Deep Elf Infiltrator is perfect for me, having both relocation and Stun. I have found the deck satisfying damage wise and it certainly had the agressivity I seek, but it still had a hard time landing stuns and the Infiltrator was so damn squishy (eh, I'm not good at using stealth units either). For reference, here is that version:
    http://poxbase.com/deck/CogcoIcfVCj0cpZcg0Ch3cauchLcdnCdmCqqs6Ls6Gs5zs6ws8fs6ls73s3wsAs5jr2jr3Qe25 (this is closer to a "perfect version", but I don't have Rapid Assault or a second Battlemage; though at the same time, a second Battlemage might be better off as Voidraker or something else)

This would be the version of that which I'm currently using:

[​IMG]

If Skeezick Wylder was cheaper (Imbue Stun on a high 60s-low 70s unit) or I had some sort of spell based Stun (aside from Avenging Flame, which is good but situational) I feel like it might be the perfect incarnation of what I wanna do.

EDIT: Note that I have briefly tested Demon Liches as Stunners. Seemed like a good idea, 1 of them geared towards countering Frost decks and swarming skeletons, the other as a source of cleanse + swarm (swarm because one of my weaknesses in general is large numbers of things). Unfortunately, Demon Lich proved too squishy and the combination of 6 speed and only 2 range on Set Ablaze felt too slow. I haven't tested extensively though.
    --------------------------------

Also, since I'm doing this, I might as well post the FS/FW version I was toying with before realizing FW/SL was an option:
    http://poxbase.com/deck/caC8cd4c20cg_cg9cugC6ZchQc5xcp3cilco9CjZs6Zs7Zs4Is7As81s12SnS54r1Ir2Lr2a

I had Bonecrusher in there at first, but I didn't like it when testing FW/SL, so I replaced him everywhere with Bloodbinder Count and/or Soul Cage. Imo, Darkmarsh Outlaw would be perfect if it had Sunder instead of Brand of the Outlaw. Darkmarsh Sorcerer is there because Magic Bomb sets defenses to 0 and my main concern with that version is lack of sheer damage (a reason why I run Boghopper Bravado).

I'm posting all of these with the hope that you can see the common idea behind them. The UD/SL one feels the closest to what I want, but again, it has trouble landing the CCs. The others can land the CCs easier but they're not as nice in other ways.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  5. Sirius

Yes, I'm very particular in my builds. I try to home in on that very precise BG composition that fits me perfectly, but I do hope that doesn't scare people off too much from giving advice. Even if you aren't willing to analyze my particular builds, it's fine. I have learned a lot in the past from your suggestions and I've always attempted to integrate them. So even if you don't strike right in the center, so to speak, it's still appreciated :).

6. st3ck

Yes that helps. I think I have some ideas with a stun lock bg that another player shared with me. SL/fw as well

7. Sirius

That's good to hear. I'd like to make the small mention that my efforts aren't necessarily geared toward keeping units completely locked in Stuns, but moreso enough to create opportunities and offensively control the combat. Stun and then Swoop/Mobilize and stuff like that.

8. st3ck

Gotchya, then you'll get to see some of my style, combo/control. Itll take me a bit to build me and try me but I'll let you know how it goes

Sirius likes this.
  9. Sirius

Completely unrelated, but I gotta vent this off somewhere: godammit Whisperghast looks awesome!, both as art and sprite (and kinda cute 0_o).