Diary of a Free Player

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by freebie219, Jul 13, 2014.

1. freebie219

freebie219 Member

July 27: Day 15 I think.

I've been mostly playing the same as I always have, 2-3 games (maybe up to 5 on the weekend) + dailies, and I try to get a training grounds game in if I can (I've been able to play 3 1/2 games on it, the half being a surrender against zythraak to show him that you get bonus gold from a TG win, but I guess it doesn't count early surrenders).

My skeezick deck is pretty much fully CPed now, with just a handful of champs at ~170 xp and the final upgrade changes being non-essential (going to be happy when I can get skeez alliance on the wylder, since hidden: sand seems pretty dumb when the only sand is my fonts). Here's how it's looking right now:
    skeezdek.png

I also decided to save up for extended set packs instead of core, so my progress is going to be even slower. I think after another 2 packs I will really save up and try to get a box just so I can get a guaranteed exotic in it, though that means a month without any deck progress. Here are the contents of my first extended set pack:

day 13.jpg

And finally, I made a big decision and decided to exchange most of the runes from my last 3 packs for a starter ST deck. Like the skeezick deck, it looks like it's going to be pretty bad until I get it upgraded and swap out a few runes when I can. Luckily, the skeez are good enough that I can play them in ranked while I gain experience with the new deck during the dailies (and maybe the occasional ranked game if I feel like handicapping myself).

frostdeck.png

Also, I don't know what to do with the limited edition spider I got in the last pack. It seems like I should hold onto it since it's only worth 1000 poxbox points (AKA a mediocre uncommon) but I'm not sure if it will ever be worth much more than that.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    TeaNinja likes this.
  2. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I think you get to a point when you have enough runes u stop caring about winning or losing and just start getting creative. Your doing a great job bro. If you hit me up in game and I have some runes u need I will hook u up.

3. freebie219

freebie219 Member

August 2, Day 20.

A lot has happened in the last week, mostly good stuff. AsI said before I've moved from core packs to extended set so my rune buildup is even slower more quality. Since my last post, I've gotten two more packs:

day16.png
    day19.png

So, I'm still waiting for an exotic/legendary to really push me above budget decks, but I'm also at a point where I don't really need to make big adjustments to make things work. Granted, I've barely been playing the ST one in ranked since the champs aren't leveled (they are mostly approaching level 2, just playing them in the dailies and the occasional ranked game) but skeezicks are looking at minor tweaks here and there... I just grabbed a equip that gives my guys fearless and iron will for skeezick but that was cheap. I'm just sitting on value in poxbox, so maybe it's time to expand to another budget deck or I could also save them up to get a banner or something.

As far as matches go, it's been pretty good for me. I don't think I can hack it in limited league yet (definitely not with my ST deck) but I'm doing pretty well. They buffed skeezicks the other day, and it's pretty sweet. I actually beat a limited league player with my skeezicks on thursday, which is a nice milestone (Day 18). We'll see if I get shot back down to rare league but things are looking pretty competitive. Looking forward to hopefully getting another 2 packs this weekend and maybe my first exotic??!!!

To be continued....................

TeaNinja likes this.
  4. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

Yay! A post on my bday. xD

5. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

Are Warguard still bugged?

6. freebie219

freebie219 Member

I haven't had any problems with them. I heard that some people had issues with him dying on the first hit... dunno if that was you or someone else but that has never happened to me. He always took his 6 hits like a man. Best tank in skeezies imo. Also, I'm just 700 gold away from my next pack so I will update in about 3 or 4 hours. I think I might also become limited league this week cause my skeezicks have been on a mean winning streak. Stay tuned.

7. Amberite

Amberite The King of Potatoes

8. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

9. Amberite

Amberite The King of Potatoes

Here's my Skeezick deck just to give you an idea of what people are running atm: http://poxbase.com/deck/C4NC4UC41c35C1dc4Xc6_c9iciJcaucdXc7Ls6Ls6wS26S7usYs24s5jS6vrPr2qe4
    The only thing your skeezick deck really seemed to be missing were cannoneers...You don't like them? Oh, and as a beginner you might consider investing in Theme Decks, it gives you an entire deck with banner, and you just have to replace a couple runes to get competitive.

Here's a list of all the runes you will from each theme deck: http://guidescroll.com/2012/02/poxnora-beginners-guide/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  10. CravenLestat

CravenLestat Active Member

Free player here too,still working on decks before commiting to playing PvP.Also waiting for game in general to be ironed out and a few mechanics fixed but got me a box the other day and my first pack of course had a exo but then it got better here is my second pack opened.:rolleyes: And yes that is a icesnap in the same pack.

[​IMG]

TeaScholar and TeaNinja like this.
  11. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

I don't think Totem of The Fallen is very good. If you're gunna recommend Legs, then Bolters are really solid with Hit & Run + ranged Flanking and cheaper than a Totem. Negation Mages are also excellent with Eradicate, especially with the glut of summon themes out there at the moment.

And Waguard is still bugged; I had one die to a single tick a DoT effect.

12. paldirs

paldirs Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's not a beginner, it is someone with an alt account, testing how it is to start as new player.

13. freebie219

freebie219 Member

August 8, Day 27.

So I haven't posted since the weekend, but the week has been slower than I thought it would. I played very little ranked this week, just doing my dailies. With the gold bonus I was able to get three more packs over the week, though they didn't really give me much:

day19.png
    day20.png
    day23.png

My skeezicks have been doing well. I'm basically holding my own at the top of exotic league and will probably make it into limited soon. Skeezicks are pretty strong right now. Thanks to amberite I have my first legendary too, a draksar warbanner. With that I think I can say that I have made one competitive deck so far without spending any money.

Now I'm going to focus on my ST deck and see what it takes to make it competitive. I'm also being smarter with my poxbox trades because I've realized that if a common or uncommon trades in for less than 200/600 points or so I can sacrifice it in the forge and turn it into something that I can trade into poxbox for more. After I get my next pack I should have enough shards to turn into the best rare. Right now that looks like a boneshredder which is worth 18000 points. I started looking into IS and got some cheap dwarves that I am going to turn into my third deck so over the next two weeks I will be tweaking my ST until it is competitive and starting to develop the IS group.

skeezdek.png
    frostdeck.png
    dwarfdeck.png

19madfox95 likes this.
  14. 19madfox95

19madfox95 I need me some PIE!

I wish I had time to play more on the weekend with all the bonus gold! Could have helped my F2P just a lot.

What kinds of packs do you usually buy? I usually get 3510 gold and then buy Extended Set Pack as the Runes in there seem to have a lot more value, but today I thought that maybe I should wait till I get 31950 to buy the Box, so there would be a chance to get also a Legendary and guaranteed Exotic.

freebie219 likes this.
  15. VeelaDnB

VeelaDnB New Member

or h0spy

Attached Files:

16. freebie219

freebie219 Member

August 12, Day 31.

OK. Looks like I've been playing for one month. Most days it's just been the dailies and 1-3 games, though on weekends I sometimes play a bunch of games and I also did the skeezick campaign when we had double gold. What do I have to show for it so far?

14 packs of runes... I think my first 5 or 6 were the cheap OG packs and the rest are from extended set. I bought them all individually because I have been playing and building my decks as I go and I'm impatient. I still haven't pulled a fancy rune out of the packs except for a limited spider I got on my fourth or fifth pack. Thanks to amberite I was able to get a draksar warbanner for cheap and with that my skeezicks are "complete" and have been doing great.

Also, here are my last two packs:
    day 28.png
    day30.png

Sometime late last week I got into limited league and my skeezicks have been good enough to keep me there. These guys are a rock solid group that don't rely on anything fancy, and so far most games I lost with them were my fault and not theirs. The thing is, once I got into limited league I felt a bunch of pressure to stay there so instead of playing with these other decks I keep playing my skeezick. I am going to try to play the other decks now but it will be hard, because I will definitely lose games that I could win with the skeezies. C'est la vie.

cool rank.png

I just picked up my fourteenth pack and it was pretty nice even without a exotic, but now I have a bit of a dilemma: I'm so used to looking for good value runes that I don't know what to do with my poxbox credits. I've had to be very careful over my last few trades because apparently they keep track of the amount of runes you trade in and out and it won't let you trade out more than double the amount of runes you trade in, and I'm always around that ratio right now. So I'm kind of forced into getting some rares.

Again, I haven't played my two newer decks much in ranked so I'm sure I will figure out what's wrong with them when I start, but until then I'm interested in getting other peoples' opinions? If you have 22000 points to spend on just a few rares for ST, IS, or skeezick, what would you definitely want to get?
    dwarfdeck.png
    frostdeck.png

P.S. Special thanks to @VeelaDnB for your support. When I am back in rare league and wallowing in self-doubt ur face will lift my spirits probably.

17. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

18. freebie219

freebie219 Member

August 19, Day 37.

As expected, I weaned myself off of skeezicks and am now focusing on my IS and ST decks until they become competitive. As I expected, it's been a pretty dramatic downturn for me. Over the last week I'm probably below a 1:2 win:loss ratio, though my rank has only slipped to exotic league.

I thought that the ST deck would be good enough but it's been tough for me. It seems that at higher level everybody has a clear plan how to win with their decks, and the fundamentals that I could count on with skeezicks aren't enough to win consistently with my ST deck as it is currently composed. A lot of the champs seem pretty good to me but I just can't muster up the damage quick enough to deal with my opponents. I am investing more into this deck than the other two combined and still haven't gotten it to click yet. I know it eventually will though.

As of yesterday, I got my first exotic after saving enough poxbox points and grabbed a jakei elder. Wooo!! (17 packs in and the best rune I've pulled was a Ward of Ailur about a month ago. In the meantime, I am steadily improving my decks and still have the Skeez to fall back on when I get tired of losing. IS is pretty decent too though I know it could use some work. The formula of snowballing beaters + support seems like it will be pretty good once I get it all in place, which shouldn't take too long except that I'm focusing all my gold on the ST deck.

I joined a guild a while ago and it's been pretty nice. One of my guild members, Arbol, always offers me a FQ whenever we match up (it's been a lot of times). I declined the first couple but now that I'm playing worse decks I'm happy for the reprieve. I'll throw up some updated pictures next time but it seems like few people are reading this anymore. Maybe the grind isn't that interesting.

Legato and Pipster like this.
  19. Ginx

Ginx Member

Who said none is reading this anymore. You still have my attention at least. It's nice seeing someone do so well with a completely f2p way. Even though I prefer paying at least a little (if you like the game support it in my view), for someone to actively show that it is possible to play free and win quite a bit (I mean just how long were you sitting in limited league with at most rares and a warbanner at your disposal?). Shows current players that it can be done and hopefully new players as well. Should totally make this thread more readily available for new players come the Steam release and all. Keep it up man. I still consider this all very impressive at the very least.

19madfox95 likes this.
  20. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Indeed. I would encourage you to keep going =).