Diary of a Free Player

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by freebie219, Jul 13, 2014.

1. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'm also still following.

2. PoxZuo

PoxZuo Administrator Octopi

Aye, not to mention it helps the devs too. :) I have this thread /watched.

3. freebie219

freebie219 Member

August 22, Day 40!

Good to get that support guys. I know my updates are coming a lot slower and most of the time I'm talking about my collection instead of the games, but if it's still informative and entertaining then I'm happy to keep going.

I got my first legendary today... a woodland diplomat. I was getting impatient with gold so my last two packs were just core set, and the last one dropped my diplomat. I'm not 100% committed but I'm probably going to trade it away since my budget KF deck is going to be either elves or beasts when I get to it (Garu look good but they have a lot of expensive champs). On the other hand he looks pretty solid so maybe I might keep him.

Here are my last few packs:
    day 34.png
    day 36.png
    day 39.png

I've been playing my IS deck a lot more than ST, and it's actually gotten CP a lot quicker than I thought it would. At the same time, none of the champs really need to change upgrades to become good (most of the time I'm just shaving 2 or 3 nora off their cost for a rank of some ability) so it's been pretty easy to start playing. Still not as good as skeezick but it's starting to come together. Still a few pieces (probably expensive) from competing with limited rank decks but I'm staying in exotic league and winning about as often as I lose. Most of the legwork is coming from efficient champs, with weaponsmith as a surprising MVP a lot of the time.

I had armorers and war enchanted grobles in earlier but they've been swapped out, probably permanently. I'm looking to steer the deck in a carouse/equipment direction so I have a pair of ironfist collecters waiting for a spot, but a lot of the carousing champions are exotic so that direction is more of a long term thing and most of the changes I'm making are short-term. Thinking about grabbing a master axeman or something around that value when I can.

dwarfdeck2.png
    The handlers probably look like a wasted slot but they've been pretty effective so far. Only 4 of my champions cost more than 70n so it's nice and cheap and swarmy, but still has some high-end damage output. In other words it's starting to play like my skeezick deck does, but with its own strengths.

4. HandOfTheKing

HandOfTheKing Devotee of the Blood Owl

nice to see you back on it :D

5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

How much game time are you averaging per day?

6. freebie219

freebie219 Member

@RAID Officer IMAGIRL Weekday's it's just 2-3 games + dailies, weekends that shoots up to 6-8 + dailies.

7. freebie219

freebie219 Member

August 24, day 42!!

Well, it's been exactly 6 weeks since I've started and I still basically have 1 good deck, one OK deck, and one deck that I haven't really played much ranked with. Still holding my own in exotic league but I have been losing more games than I'd like. Today, however, quite a bit has changed.

I just played a game against Venochron, a UD player. I think he is also a budget player because his deck didn't seem to have many exotics outside of grimlic, and he beat me the first time I played against him. The second time, I managed to win the fight and the win brought me to 3519 gold, enough for my 19th pack:

day 42.png

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. It's no coragh, but it is a high value, out of stock rune that happens to be in the faction I'm working on right now. It's probably worth twice what my entire collection up to this point costs. I will probably trade it away soon but I'll see if she fits in my deck first. I could probably make decent decks for every faction if I traded her.

Legato and SPiEkY like this.
  8. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

Awesome! Way to go! Hope you like her, if not it should be pretty easy to find a new home for her. ;)

9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Like your story. I get that you are free playing it but if you want to finish that IS deck list the runes you want and Ill get them. Keep on keepin on.

10. freebie219

freebie219 Member

August 28, Day 46!

I spent the last few days just stockpiling some gold. Apparently avatars are only 5000 and come with a warbanner. I didn't think they were that cheap before but maybe they were and I just missed it. Either way it's too good a deal to pass up. I did some tinkering to my deck just before my last update to add some non-dwarf champions in, namely Northern Cross Priestess and Crusader. The angel really fit in well with the two, though I don't have any other angels whose range I could increase. I traded for a pair of Archangel of AlMaras but I haven't felt much need to change anything in the deck to include them (it was pretty difficult finding something to cut so I could include the warbanner but I settled on the dwarven medic. I think he will find a way back in soon though).

dwarfdeck3.png

I think this deck is almost as good as the skeezies. Not quite as much raw firepower but they can build up over time with a battle leader, a spell swallower, and a fury/inspire guy and have their fair share of early game champs as well.

P.S. Thanks for the offer Baskitkase, but there's some satisfaction in playing with a limited budget and winning games. Also, if I just got a good deck for free there'd be no point in this thread anymore.

11. dragonistear

dragonistear I need me some PIE!

19 packs 2 legendaries. Congrats!
    Now I wonder why my 50+ packs have yet to yield one :p.

I think I should look at your decks and get inspiration on how to build mine.

12. affrobong

affrobong Well-Known Member

pretty cool to see the progress of this, I restarted for the first time since sony owned poxnora, so I started off with a couple ST exo's, a ST deck that was out dated and not much else.

My best advise to you is to stop buying single packs.

I know I know you want to keep building your decks, but think about this logically for a second here.

An exotic only has a 10% chance and most rares are not worth anywhere near an exotic, so getting a box instead that has a 100% chance for the first one to have an exotic, I've found, that its a good way to boost the value of my collection, since you can easly trade these in if you don't want them for better things, I got some legendarys I wanted by selling a couple exotics in poxbox trade.

The cheapest legendary from the extended pack is worth more then the most expensive exotic, but if you continue to get exotics you can always trade them for other things.

So why would you buy single packs with only 5% chance of legendary when you could get 10x packs that gives you a near 50% chance? (plus an exotic)

Then ontop of that there is 10% for exo's per pack, so with 10x packs thats over half the time your going to get at least one other exotic aside of the one guarenteed in the first deck.

I'm just saying retrying 5% over and over is like blind luck, where as the majority of the time you'll get at least one legendary and extra one exotic from a box. You may get the same rolls if you bought singles, but your again missing out on the extra exotic that can add up into something beter, or be added with something else towards something better.

Worst box I ever got was one exotic, best box I ever got was two legendarys and 3 exotics. So when you look at it like that, your waste'n your gold buying single packs with such low chances. One exotic isnt bad, I feel good about not getting 10x rares and hey when those other rolls happen a extra exotic ontop of that is never bad.

I think i've only been back for a few months, 3-4 or so and I've already massively raised the value of my old collection where all I had was two jakei queens+glacial titan by just buying boxes and stacking exo/legendarys for trade verse what I actually wanted.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  13. Poxineer

Poxineer The King of Potatoes

hehez diz thread phonyz

~kindaz like poxnoraz

14. dragonistear

@affrobong buying a pack doesn't give you 50% chance of landing a legendary. The 5% are independent. The odds of not getting a Legendary out of all the packs is still 60%. Do note that the variance is extremely high so even though ive purchased 5 packs... I have yet to land a single legendary.

On your argument about exotics. Other than the guaranteed exotic that they PROMISED you when you buy the set, you DO NOT have a 100% of landing an exotic. In fact its more like 66%. Giving incorrect statistic may hurt a players experience of the game if he doesn't get what he "expected".

Capitulator, MadLotar and Sirius like this.
  15. affrobong

You 100% get one, I'd almost guarantee at least a 2nd one or a legendary. That is worth the investment alone when you realize hes only got 2x decent cards in near 20 packs, I can GUARANTEE that if he bought two boxes instead he would've got two exotics ontop of what he already has, so its well worth the "risk" when your getting guarantees verse very very very low chances of singles.

I've bought a bunch of singles, I don't think I've ever got a legendary or a exo from one before, but as soon as I started buying boxes I acutally was GUARANTEED to boost my collections value in each one, by at least one exotic that could eventually add up to anything I wanted.

Case in point right here, 50x packs is ALOT to not get anything from. If that was 5x boxes instead it would've been GUARANTEED to have at least 5x exos with a insanely high likelyhood of having legendarys/exos to go with it.

16. dragonistear

My 50+ packs came from buying the 5 10-set boxes. So your point is kind of moot from this.

Btw, if you read my post carefully, I didn't say anything about not having Exos. (19 packs 2 LEGENDS),
    Yes you are guarenteed to get an exotic from the first pack. You aren't guaranteed any amount of exos from the remaining 9.

17. affrobong

I've got *one* box where all I got was a single exotic. I got multiple others where I got more then one exo and legendary, like I said the best 10 pack box I ever got seen me two legendarys and 3 exotics from one ten pack box, so its not "your only going to get the first exo" I would say its very very very likely that a box would see you more then one exotic since I've only got one exotic from a box, one time, every other time I've got more so this is whats making me suggest boxs may be more worth this users time, since even a 80k exotic would be adding a large chunk to his account value, so the guarentee of something good is worth the wait for the box is the point I want to make.

Sure thing > Not sure thing

Not sure how one can black n white this anymore for you, I mean its lame you never got a legendary but I wouldnt say that your experience is common, since in the 10 or so boxes I've got, again I've only been ***** to one exotic one time, every other time I've got at least one legendary or exotic to go with it, most times being 1-2 legendarys.

To speak from my own luck, I've *never* got anything good from a single pack so I stopped buying them, alot of rares and wasted time imo.

When you said "You aren't guaranteed any amount of exos from the remaining 9." I'd rather be guaranteed 1/10 then 0/10.

So what your saying is over half the time your going to get a extra exotic out of each box, thanks for confirming what I was saying.

Sorry my "math" was off, cuz to me its over half the time, so it seems to be happening more often then not as proven by your math here. I get the impression that its more likely to happen then not happen by experience as well.

Again the whole point is to get the exotic in the first pack, its your bonus for waiting, but my personal opinion is that I get better things with boxes verse single packs.

18. dragonistear

... ok obviously sets are better (value-wise). Like I'm clearly not ******** enough not to know that (because buying in BULK is always better for usual things).

However, I was just pointing out that the statistics you gave (initially?) were incorrect. You claimed that percentages of independent things were additive (5% on a pack-> 50% for a set; 10% on a pack-> 100%). This misrepresentation of actual events might confuse the buyer who now expects one thing but actually experiences something different (like saying a pack gives out 3 uncommons guaranteed and but then only actually receiving 2).

I'm not here to make an argument on this; just merely stating that if you are to list statistics, please make sure you get them correct.

(And of course, you edited the first post to reflect this sentiment, so this discussion is formally over. In the future, not everyone on the interwebs is trying to provoke an argument. No need to be bluntly rude in your posts either.)

Edit: Your post is still misleading. Its not near 100%... 1 - 0.9^9 is 61% to get 1 exotic out of the next 9 packs. Completely identical to buying packs one at a time. I think you are clearly misinformed about how independent probabilities work. For example, if I say flip 2 coins; if either are heads I'll give you a dollar, otherwise you give me 5. Do you take that bet? (Here's a hint, getting a heads out of 2 flips is not anywhere close to 100% probability).

In fact, here's the only 2 reasons why buying sets are better than packs.
    1. Guaranteed exotic for the first pack. The rest of the 9 packs are completely identical to buying them separately (In fact, if Poxnora has a random seed that makes sure that within a certain short timeframe, their RNG doesn't hand out too many legendaries/hands out a legend every few timesteps, it might even be better to buy them separately... but of course, it's probably just RNG because Pox isn't running a claw machine here :p).
    2. They are cheaper in bulk.

Outside of those two reasons, don't try to claim that there is any other benefits.

To OP: Sorry about taking over your thread. You may now resume posting. I rather liked reading about your journey.

Edit2: So to OP. Basically, when you buy a set, you are trading time for pack efficiency. You buy them one at a time, you miss out on an Exo and you spend like a few hundred more. However, the perks of this is that you don't have to wait a super long time. It takes me 1.5 months to save up for a set. This might be too long if you are trying to make more decks. For me, I didn't really care because I had a core BG I was building on and so pack efficiency was clearly worth it.

Edit3: Wait actually, you might just be confused about how the sets work. You are still opening SEPARATE packs one at a time even if you buy the 10-set (Thus, why they reveal one pack at a time). So probabilities are still independent. Now if you already knew that, then please take an introduction to probability class. It'll help you later on.

19. PoxZuo

PoxZuo Administrator Octopi

The only thing you are guaranteed to get from buying a box is one exotic from the first pack. The other 9 packs in the box have the same chances as any other single set pack.

MadLotar likes this.
  20. dragonistear

"So what your saying is over half the time your going to get a extra exotic out of each box, thanks for confirming what I was saying. "

So in your world >50% is = to 90%? Please don't go to Vegas anytime soon.

I really do think you should take some introduction to probability class.
    The quote you quoted me on basically says the following: The remaining 9 packs have an equal chance of hitting an exotic as does buying single packs, and not the following: The remaining 9 packs have a higher chance of hitting an exotic as does buying single packs, the latter of which you were claiming in your first post initially.

Yes, everyone knows that landing that free exotic in the first pack is a bonus. I'm pretty sure OP knows this as well. He chooses to open packs since he values the waiting time over a single exotic. To each his own.

Edit: Well now that your initial post has been updated (barring the still incorrect numbers and analysis on legendaries) and now that PoxZuo has come along and basically confirmed my entire list of posts, this is basically resolved. Can we please move on?