keeper nerf

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by calisk, Aug 29, 2014.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

as expected the keeper is going to need to be nerfed.

as such here is my proposed change coinciding with a change to arctic, thus his speed will be 7 base

speed to 7

abilities:
    abominable
    attack magic
    death charged 3 to base

upgrade 1:
    deploy charge 2, psychological warfare, arctic camouflage

upgrade 2:
    charged blast, memory, frost amped

haven't done the cost math, but his min cost should be significantly cheaper, while his max cost would actually be higher then now i think.

if you went for the current nora gen build you'd be left with a straight nerfed champ slightly off set by a slightly cheaper cost and 7 speed, but if you went for combat builds you could come out with a strong cheaper unit, and yeti's are in need of strong ranged units for the theme, this one just won't auto win off of nora gen.

if you went for a hybrid build say, memory/ psychological warfare, you wouldn't gen as much nora but you'd have fear synergy.

things like void touched and charged blast build would be a harasser build.

anyway as usual I tried to make most builds viable, for different types of play.

I look forward to the feedback as usual, i'll be posting more of my impressions for the upcoming changes here for discussion, in the coming days and over the weekend.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I appreciate the shift from multi-rank upgrade paths, but I'd love a more specific reason as to why he needs to be nerfed. In the few times I've faced him, his presence prompted me to keep my nora pool low more than anything else. He's a one trick pony that is laughably easy to counter in certain situations. I'm curious as to where the nerf support is coming from as I legitimately haven't seen much (if any).

I find it hard to give proper feedback when I don't know the context for changing him. "Cuz mo upgrades!" is perfectly acceptable, but I'd react differently to that compared to changing him with the specific intent of making a particular aspect of him weaker.

3. calisk

he generates just about 150 nora any time he lasts to late game and tends to steal 60-100 nora every game.

this is on a 13 damage 5 range 7 speed champ with 60+ hp and 4 def with amp, and the damage goes up with abomindable.

he's a one unit wonder, even at 95 nora he pays for himself and then some.

he excels in yeti's and is a number 1 pick in meta decks, or at least should be.

i'm fine with him being a good combat unit, but he can't be an amazing combat unit, and a solid nora gen unit at the same time, and since I needed to make that change anyway I will use the same suggestion to diversify his design at the same time.

my opponents have asked for him to be nerfed every single game i've used him in, and I agree with them, he's just too much of a mary sue.

Sirius likes this.
  4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Charged Blast counts as basic attacks? If not they will not procs Void and Psycho, and if so Soul Frost would be too good.

I personally don't like the randomness of Void Touch.

5. calisk

it shouldn't proc either.

charged blast isn't a basic attack or at least wasn't in the past when he had it.

as for void touch, you need ot have some imagination, his picture shows keeper ripping the mind out of targets, and that's the only ability in pox to do it, you can say he's doing it via the void, he's not a psychic he's magical.

anyway as per-usual better suggestion and i'll switch it up, I like the flavor but i'm not married to it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Ok, I absolutely couldnt care less if Keeper does get nerfed or not, but this is a statement I absolutely dont agree with.
    Firstly, I have played Keeper for more than a year, even when Yeti racial caused the 2nd yeti incident, and I have never, ever, got him to reach absurd levels of 30-50 charges that would make the opponent loose "60-100" nora, and yet you say he tends to steal that every game.
    However, I can see it happening after he got Deploy/Death Charged 3, but that would make him a 95 nora unit - 95.
    I dont know man, might have something to do with the opponents you are facing rather than the unit itself.
    But, as noted, couldnt care less. Just thought I'd share.

7. calisk

I can remember 5 games in the last week and a half where he has had 30+ charges twice in a match. honestly it would be more but I've been too busy to play a lot of games the last week and a half .

most games it's an avergae 8-10 for first use, 20-30 second use, dead before third use.

under those scenarios it's still 56-80 nora gained and a potential equal amount removed from the opponent, plus his combat stats, and that's just in hm being out for 7-8 turns, and yes I run him at the 95 nora build, as that is what results in him generating that nora so easily.

you use the ability in 1-2 turns with 8-10 charges and you potentially created a 40 nora gap between you and your opponent meaning he was pretty much a 55 nora champ, with those stats.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, might have something to do with Deploy/Death Charged 3, but pre revamp he would never, ever reach those numbers. Again, though, since there are so few people playing Pox atm, could also have to do with the opponents you are facing and whatnot.
    Do as you please, Id just like to point that out.

9. Luvadata

Luvadata Member

What is the change for arctic?

10. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Keepers
    Yetis who show the unique capacity to connect telephatycally with others of their kind.

Mutant Yeti
    This power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible gift of mutation [...] freed me from the oppression of the Keepers.

Ancient Implications
    Yetis have an enigmatic history and culture that is largely not communicated to casual observers due their gruff exterior appearance and demeanor. Tattoos like these, crafted by Yeti artisans, carry with them not only visual interest, but significant mystical properties as well.

Seems like Yetis has inner natural powers that grant them Frost Amped if released, and somehow Keepers prevents or triggers this event at will. Also ancient yetis tattooes grant Purified, Majestic and Backlash. And Grumble Rocks also has Majestic.

Some lore searching to inspire the readers :)

11. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

The Charged 3s are a huge deal with respect to his Unleashing ability. He gets way more charges now, and you are correct, he never really reached those heights pre-revamp.

12. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

I dont like him losing his "core" ability. I had rather seen death and deploy charge go down to rank 1 both.

13. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Now that I read Void Touch with more attention, the effect is permanent! Now way calisk, with Keeper range it is op...

14. undred

undred Devotee of the Blood Owl

it is still a nerf .
    btw what is the memory ability ?

15. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I assume he meant the current ability as he mentions it's still possible to Nora gen, just not like a total boss per his description.

16. calisk

whether it's on base or not you can do his current build minus some combat stats off of amp, his speed would be 7 so that wouldn't really change just less damaging.

as for void touch if you wish to upgrade it, it's 15 nora. it won't be a cheap upgrade, for something that may not even have an effect on the match say removing lumbering or something to that effect it's quite an investment to run. range or not it's not a game ending ability and costs more then most abilities that are.

like I said i'm open for suggestions, I might think of something to put in it's place though.

17. calisk

have you not played him in yeti's with full charges? he's exactly as i described most matches.

18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Personally, I wouldn't put Void on a range champ. That's just asking for a bunch of QQ threads.

19. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Void touch would also work on charged blast, so AoE void touch ftw! He sounds so much more balanced than he currently is!

20. calisk

again it shouldn't work on charged blast, not a basic attack.

snce you guys seem set i'll come up with something else.