Gold discounts for boxes don't make a lot of sense

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zenity, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Cash discounts are a good idea, because you want to encourage people to spend more money on the game, rather than on any competing product instead.

But gold discounts? You don't benefit from players spending more gold on your game, it's not like they could do anything else with it. So all this does is to create a dilemma for the player: Buy a pack as soon as you can afford it for instant gratification, or save for the much better deal of a box.

I don't think it's very smart to make players choose between two evils when you want to get them hooked instead, so my suggestion would be this: Make boxes unavailable with gold, and reduce the price of packs to compensate (ideally right after I am able to purchase my next box :oops:).

What this will do is that:

a) Players will receive the maximum amount of joy whenever they buy a pack, knowing that they got the best deal.

b) Players will not have to wait a long time until their next "fix". This is awesome because now they always have a carrot dangling in front of them ("just a few more games and I can buy a new pack..."), and constant dopamine injections from opening a new pack will keep the player hooked and wanting for more.

I understand there's a counter-argument in that the current setup makes buying boxes very satisfying, but I believe that this event is too rare to have much effect on player retention.

This is of course also what Hearthstone does, and I think it's safe to assume that Blizzard knows a thing or two about how to get players hooked. You can only buy one pack with gold (if you don't count the arena, which is priced similarly), and you can earn about one pack per day without too much trouble by completing all the quests. You only get five cards per pack, but that's still a larger percentage of the total game content than the ten cards of a Pox Nora pack (not to mention that every single of them can be a legendary, and there's no content hidden behind a paywall).

DarkJello and Atherhog like this.
  2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

nope

3. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

This makes sense to me. I want to buy a pack as often as possible, but feel like I should wait.

Would I play that extra game if I could buy a pack... damn right I would.

Would I buy a big old box, with real money, if it was cheap enough... damn right I would.

Bring the single packs down to the box type prices. Make the core set boxes pretty cheap and the extended boxes cheap-ish, but cash only.

Xinde, Zenity and Goyo like this.
  4. triarii

triarii New Member

This is actually a really good idea

5. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I like the idea of removing boxes from gold.

But I don't agree with cash discounts after some thought. I mean, for special days, sure. But overall wouldn't it be better if the boxes are just cheaper overall?

because:
    a) I wont buy anything until a sale.
    b) The large price is the only thing a new player is going to see unless there happens to be a sale on.

6. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I meant the discount where a box is cheaper to buy than ten individual packs.

The kind of discount you are talking about is another matter. My quick opinion on that: Games on Steam make the vast majority of their income during sales, so sales are here to stay. At the same time of course it's important that the normal price is fair, so potential buyers will still consider it good value even if not on sale.

7. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

This is only a good idea for people that can't manage their in game money/time and those that want instant gratification. For those of us that can manage it, and want the better value this is a terristupid idea. (see what i did there? combined terrible and stupid to make a mega bad word) IMO the game should have more options, not less. Less options never helped anyone, like school lunch. "What would i like today, meatloaf or meatloaf.....?" I liked the idea of tiering rune prices and putting them into teired sets (core, extended), but those prices should apply to individual set boxes as well (Maljaran War, CoV, Dire Covenant). We shouldn't be forced into buying a ton of possible packs from sets we already own almost everything from. I would also like to see faction packs for the tiered set, but not individual sets.

More options not less, and reward those people with cheaper boxes that can manage thier gold, because it provides life long lessons to those teenagers that are growing into adulthood. Lol.

8. Monyx

Monyx I need me some PIE!

i always wait for box anyways. because boxes guarantee exos or a legend where as packs do not.

9. ykmmmm

ykmmmm Member

are you kidding right, cause what im supose to do with golds then why i should stay up more than few matches to have fun
    That will decrease the player base who don't have daddy purse to back him up, yea you can buy single pack but who got more than 100k gold will need alot of time to do that ,or soon another will come out take this away too so goodby to medium new player free to play who come out to check the game

10. Atherhog

Lanfear: The point is the game doesn't gain from making people wait. All that is happening is it makes the more "casual" player feel like they have a bad deal. What I'm suggesting is that all packs become the same pricing as "boxed" packs. Thus, nobody loses.

In short, people should get the best deal, regardless.

Zenity likes this.
  11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I agree, there souldn't be sales for gold (Planetside, f.ex, does Station Cash based sales, but no cert (ingame currency) sales)

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Be patient and get a deal on a box, or get instant gratification on a pack right now for less value... kind of typical actually.

13. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

14. Zeetoois

Zeetoois The King of Potatoes

I see where you're coming from, but removing boxes means no guaranteed exotic. I'm against that for sure. Cheaper packs AND guaranteed exotics? Count me in. Sorry, but I'm with Lanfear on this one (*shudders for agreeing with a Forsaken* [and props if you catch the reference]). If you can't hold onto your gold for a box, then you're acting like a junkie living from fix to fix. Be patient. The payout is worth it.

15. glocktower

glocktower New Member

as guilty as i am for spending too soon i agree with keeping the discount at the bulk level, thats just how business works.

you buy more, its cheaper.

also ive been scared to save gold right now bc it might disappear!

16. GameJack

GameJack The King of Potatoes

Owls still going for F2P model rite. If only paying players have access to box n the guaranteed exotic n if lucky legendary , it feel less free to play.

ykmmmm likes this.
  17. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

All the trade sharks need to stop trying to make it harder for players to get into the game. We want to attract and keep new players. not continue forcing them away to satisfy the trade sharks.

ykmmmm likes this.
  18. ykmmmm

ykmmmm Member

vote this http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/pox-manager-suggestion.871/ tnx

19. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

If you want to make every 10th pack have an exotic for that set and make the price match boxes, then i'm all for it. i'll still buy them in sets of 10. I'm not lucky. Most of the time that exotic is the only one i get. So i'll never vote for it to be removed.

Some people.... Lets throw the word "sharks" around, like it validates their point. Obviously anytime they can't achieve something, the "sharks" are behind it. Sharks must be the illuminati, lets all put on our tin foil hats and protect ourselves from them.

20. Atherhog

must admit, I'd forgot about the guaranteed exotic...

not sure how you could deal with that... hmmm