Angel of Protection

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Amberite, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Amberite

Amberite The King of Potatoes

Seems kinda expensive at 89 nora (most expensive rune in Paladins atm), when you have much tankier runes that are much cheaper.

Are people running her at all? If so, with what upgrades and how is she holding up for you?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

She's a bit expensive for my tastes now. Not to say she isn't worth that price tag in today's game, I'd just rather use cheaper stuff.

3. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Now her price is a big tempo hit and being an intensify unit its another stacked tempo hit so you really have to be committed to her to deploy and even then its situational. Don't get me wrong she is "fairly" costed vs the abilities present its just a bit heavy now with her kit.

- She's still a good paladin rune but as the theme gets more reliable ranged options this angel will likely fall out of favor for more place and play ranged paladins. But she also is an "angel" so if that ever develops if the synergy is great enough it will push her back up.

4. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

Could give her Scorn against to return her to her pre Trail: Hallowed Ground recost cost.

Thbigchief likes this.
  5. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think it's funny how people wanted a revamp to reduce powercreep but complained once they got it to the point that powercreep is coming back fast. People still complain champs Don't do enough and cost to much, it's kinda sad.

What the angel needs is a dedicated role where she is able to excel to always have a bg slot option. Make the angel of protection the best at protecting champions with low offensive power and maybe speed. A high 70 to low 80 champion with trail HG bodyguard righteous shield and divert all up would be a crazy good tank/support unit. Throw in enduring aura and other upgrade options and she could easily be worth her price.

6. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Its weird if she has Scorn because other angels do not have Scorn. There's no explanation or logic behind her getting Scorn other than she gets -5Nora. If every angel gets Scorn then fine. Because other angels are also in the same range of 80-89. Its just that she's on the higher quartile.

Traits of angels are: 7SPD, Intensify, Stab/Aerial Supremacy on 2nd upgrade path, Flight (arctic flight for ST because of bonus)

For IS, I can see changing the SPD to 6, which would basically still let her to stay at 7SPD with Font bonus. That would reduce her costs to lower 80ish. IF she's still not efficient enough, I suggest 1) cutting down her damage since her role is to protect and stuff [albeit she's oftentimes just fontgib/fontstall with imperv and wait up till she's intensified], or 2) 1-2 base RNG.(either 1-4 or 2-6RNG post int.)

Consider that Trail: Hallowed Ground is not simply "Purified + Regen4" but its a Trail ability, so if your meta includes Paladins, and they got Purified+Regen4 by following AoP, that should be costed differently than a champ with "Purified + Regen4". Its similar to how AoDeath is costed if she picks Dread, she'll be at 88.

I can't see any other way to reduce her cost without any "give her Scorn, give her Loyalty, give her Lumbering" just to increase her efficiency. I've seen angels performing quite well in the current meta (Perseverance, Chaos, and Death), but perhaps Angel of Protection just costs way above other IS's efficient champs.

If its her efficiency, just go look at Angel of War.. that's one pathetic angel.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

Scorn because auto cleanse tank angel.

8. Glad0

Glad0 I need me some PIE!

Her Nora cost is fine . Her range is fantastic, her speed is fantastic , her damage is 14 after intensify and arial supremacy . She is a great tank. 89 Nora is worth her stats. Not to mention if you throw a tactical manual / tales of valor on her you have a range tank with 18+ damage.

No complaints, the better the champ... Higher the Nora cost.

Leadrz likes this.
  9. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

RedScarlet, your post is silly because she had scorn before; the angels need not be the same. No one said she wasn't worth her cost, in fact that's the agreed upon general consensus. I personally found her pre nerf cost optimal due to the units you'd ideally around her, you could deploy her 1st or second turn depending on what you used (Even a second angel, if you went 2nd leaving you with 0 nora) -- but this is no longer possible. It could all be attributed to her now paying the cost of her power, which is fair, I'm just providing some things to reduce that since it's a compounded tempo hit when any unit with Intensify is already an investment in the future as it is (Though AoP definitely has some of the best upfront power compared to the others).

Another option would also be making her 3-4.

10. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

I run her at 84 nora with blessed.

I don't know who is running her as a "tank" but everytime I get mines remotely into combat, they manage to take this champion out pretty fast.

Thbigchief likes this.
  11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Umhu, much easier to do without deflect.

12. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Right she was 83 or 84 if im not mistaken. but even then, I don't get why AoProtection gets that -5 nora buffer. what was the justification that she gets Scorn

EDIT: actually nevermind, angel of chaos also had scorn on base prevamp now that Ive remembered. And her current cost was similar to prevamp.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  13. alkaline89

alkaline89 The King of Potatoes

First u play with tinydragon
    2 u win
    3 your deck gets nerf
    hapend to me like 3 times already hehehe
    bet this time it was axeraiser

14. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Still easily worth it, just have to protect her a bit better.

Since Talgar and Euan and pretty much everything else took a substantial cost decrease, the extra 5 nora to play her at her optimum build is not a big deal.