ferren/jakai monk BG help

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by callum6021, Sep 1, 2014.

1. callum6021

callum6021 The King of Potatoes

2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I was looking at ferrens and honestly I think their is something to them in their current form, really they are just lacking enough ferrens to make a full deck of ferrens.

they have a few improve:x abilities which just don't work when you don't have enough ferrens to make a full 17 champ deck.

if ferrens got 3-5 mroe champs I could really see using them.

3. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

As calisk mentioned they lack alot of champs.

1 range ferren option also is not enough!

4. callum6021

The deck is really more about monks then just ferrens really. Ferren's just happen to be really good monks, if a little expensive.

5. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I don't want to derail the thread (Kudos to OP for being willing to try Ferren), but I completely disagree that they need more champs to be used/viable. Prior to the revamp, I achieve and maintained top 10 limited in the midst of AP Denial, Pallies and other similarly bemoaned BGs. What you're seeing now is the homogenization of Ferren to the point of redundancy. They are variations of the same tanky beater with bland kits and zero utility outside of Ferren Dancer's four(!) flavors of charm. They only have one Improve ability (Damage) and it was never a crucial part of Ferren's playstyle.

Ferren lost Ferpent, range, variety, utility and anything resembling diversity. Because of this, they appear to be lacking when in reality, the revamp took away everything that previously allowed them to exist as their own theme. I know we've discussed this multiple times in other threads, but I absolutely do not want the wrong idea to be spread regarding Ferren and their current predicament.

As for the OP, while I currently refuse to play Ferren/Disciplines atm, there are a number of things I can point out for improving your BG:

http://poxbase.com/deck/CjvCduCd+cdiCdyC85conck=Cjlckkcg7s7@s19s7bs2Ls89s4Vs77r3dr1_r30rIE2x

This significantly improves your ranged damage, provides more sources of Freezing Aura, has reliable alt damage and the ability to spread Attack: Magical. You have access to Prestige, multiple forms of damage ramp (choose Sundering Discipline wherever possible) and Fascinate to minimize your AP spent on movement.

Let me know if you have any questions. This BG focuses on Frost Monks, but I can easily put together other variations if you don't like this approach.

PharumM likes this.
  6. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

1 blizzard cloak max for this bg. Blizzard cloak doesn't stack with Nohkan do you'll lose 2 ap and a cloak. I'd probably have grandmaster x2 she utilizes Nohkan do to the fullest extent(counterstrike). Looks like you're focusing too much on having ferren and Jakei when you should be focusing solely on having good monks.

7. Entrepidus

Nohkan Grandmaster is actually one of the weaker Monks available right now. Attacking her with Paralytic Feedback champs, RD or anything similar make her a poor option for Monk BGs. She's also just another vanilla NKD beater making her highly replaceable. This will continue to be the case until she, specifically, is changed or NKD becomes an activated ability that you can control.

Goyo likes this.
  8. calisk

I was going to revamp the mind striker I believe I'm bumping it for ice dragon now.

9. KingJad

I wouldnt consider her one of the weaker counterattack is valuable on a nohkan do champ the problem you are speaking of are counters to that if this combo didn't have counters ppl would be crying a whole lot more. You'll run into these counters a bit more, because lots of ppl play IS, but she is still a good include.

10. callum6021

this is true but you would never really need more then one, it seems you would never need to play more then one on the field if you could spare it.

11. calisk

in my rework of grand master I intend to remove counter attack and turn her into something slightly different.

so too make use of ripple I plane to give her a set of upgrades along the line of duel, shrive, and death sentence for the debuff stacking.

duel because she;s a grandmaster squaring off with her opponents and because it should be an interesting mechanic alongside NHK and ripple.

anyway i'm still not particularly happy with the design but it's nearly their I think.

death sentence would be like the monks finishing strike, stack debuffes then finish the target off.

Goyo likes this.
  12. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Removing Ripples would be the first thing I'd do if I were to redesign the Grandmaster. I just don't really see how it fits the rune or ST in general. If Ripples has to stay then I'd consider packing Declare Hunted on her. That ability would at least try to have some synergy with Ripples and if you really wanted to you could justify it with a "Something something awesome lone monk traveling land and sea to seek out and destroy the one who shamed their dojo" kind of reasoning.

Goyo likes this.
  13. calisk

hmmm decalre hunted with ripples could be neat, and a nice enabler for monks.

might be pushing them too much though with that combo...ripples to me actually seemed more like a meditation thing on this character, in reality it just needs some decent abilities to trigger with it.

Goyo likes this.
  14. Entrepidus

Just to clarify, Declare Hunted is an on-deploy effect without a CD and wouldn't be affected by Ripples. Am I correct to assume you meant Declare Target, instead?

KingJad likes this.
  15. Hiyashi

.. Ripples reduces the cooldown of the rune making it possible to redeploy it faster when it dies. That allows for some kind of synergy with on-deploy effects. So no, I did not mean Declare Target.
    Also I just realized that I never read the ability correctly, never mind me~

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  16. KingJad

Ripples reduces the cooldown of the runes abilities

17. Hiyashi

Yeah, I edited my post a tad too late. Again never mind me. I should probably look up abilities more often before I comment on them.

18. Entrepidus

No worries, 'tis why I asked ;P

I've learned to always check before I post things.