18 month anniversary!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calisk, Jan 30, 2018.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I didn't see anyone bring it up but according to this http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/planar-disturbances-releasing-tomorrow.23660/

it's been 18 months since pox has had an expansion.

grats :rolleyes:

it seems apparent to me pox is dormant, and whether or not it's true that's what seems apparent....the dormant phase is a phase all online games reach where the lights are on but nobody is home....effectively it's just waiting for the day they decide it's not worth keeping the servers running and they pull the game.

yes it's gets patches...at a pace slower then pox used to get expansions, and Soko still posts but has effectively become a community manager at this point it seems, the expansion by soko's own words were finished and previewed nearly a year ago, but nobody is willing to pay to get it out the door.

if it ever does show up, you can expect it to be pox's last expansion.

Pox has had slumps, usually during transitions between owners...it appears like it won't recover from this last one, IMO

don't take my word on it if you don't want to but I've been through the death of a alot of games city of heroes, tabula rasa, star wars online, dust 514 and more so I've see the signs, and the writing is on the wall for pox =/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

are you not counting the massive amount of work on the PSN launch and subsequent bugfixes in your "lights are on but nobody is home" theory?

3. calisk

Oh I'm counting it, I'm well aware of time spent on it, and it cost them.

We all believed as soon as the client was done things would be back on track but it's not.

Even patches to the broken client aren't coming out quickly which is a sign in itself.

I look at it much like the city of heroes shut down, it was getting minor patch updates by a drastically reduced team up untill it's final months but they knew long before they told anyone it was over.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

What are the chances they are looking for a buyer of the game?

5. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

Low, they would most likely tell us.

6. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

I'm willing to go in 50 dollars on this acquisition. Whose with me?

7. calisk

well we knew when SOE bought pox originally, they were very tight lipped when the owls bought it back though, it was just 6 months of nothing with only rumors an speculation on it being purchased for quite awhile. and I was in some SOE community developers program back then and even I wasn't being told anything.

That was an experience =/

"everyone welcome the joining members from the newly acquired Pox game to the SOE Community program"....all right let's never talk about pox again, can you all test out DC online and face book games for us =/

8. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

Yea, but at this point the only people that might be interested in buying the game are the players.

9. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Ok I dont see why Pox could not power in on the popularity of stuff like the Lovecraft mythos. It would get poxnora an easy 100k extra players. The Lovecraft mythos is not even copyrighted which is why its an up for grabs popular thing to power in on. All you would probably have to do as a matter of respect is get the permission of H.P. Lovecrafts family to make an expansion revealing the Protectorate deities being the Great Old Ones, and the Wrath Gods being the outer (outside of creation aka demonic) gods. Just notice how similar my signature looks to a Firk, because Cthulhu is a Firk 100 meter tall Angel who is the Firks mighty Lord and Savior.

azathoth in the Cthulhu mythos is the daemon sultan the supreme lord of cosmic chaos.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. calisk

unless they out right say it's cthulu mythos they wouldn't really bring in any cthulu fans and if they d that they are kind of trashing their own lore. that said I doubt anyone would mind a cthulu inspired expansion, but no expansions is the issue atm.

11. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Owls bent over for sony, sony now controls everything. I warned about this when they first joined with them again, ah well I guess.

12. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i think the huge patch is priority, then expansion release. i remember sok sayin exp is ready but they need to wait for the patch

13. calisk

Sok said the expansion was ready a year ago from a design point of perspective, I might be remembering wrong but I think he said the next few expansions were already designed.

past that though its pretty sketchy, there are very few good answers to why things have played out as they have, pox is not beyond recovering, ideally it would be nice to look back at this long period of nothing the same way we look back at the sony buy out and the owls buy out which had similar but much shorter period of nothing, I will concede that eventually pox will probably get this expansion, it may be tomorrow or it ma be another year from now but it will come, probably even a mid term at some point, but that's it for expansions, after that just the occasional patch, at least that's what I suspect based on what i'm seeing..

14. calisk

19 months again missed the day.

15. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

yeah don't know why they haven't just abandoned their new game to rush out a patch for this asap.

Can you honestly just stop, this is getting beyond obnoxious.

16. calisk

hmmm....abandon? nah why would they abandon a game for another game, they would never do that.

17. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I was just given the “why am I still here” forum award (4+ years on this forum). The award name was apt because I was wondering the same thing. I’m waiting for the next expansion to arrive before playing again but the next expansion is taking a very long time. I have $$$ to spend. I’m not sure why Pox doesn’t want it? Ha!

MaruXV likes this.
  18. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Devs will never have enough resources to both make enough money to bearly stay afloat and work on pox

19. calisk

Hmmm...sounds like they need to release something that people will pay some money for.....now I'm just spit balling ideas here what if they released an expansion for one of there games that actually has a fan base.

Then again maybe their new gane is more popular then pox, if so that's the kiss of death for pox i suppose.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

is it "their" game?
    I thought they were just hired to develop it.