2016 Primaries, Caucuses & Conventions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I guess if you view her as unacceptably corrupt that might not be saying much. I (obviously) don't care for either of them, but I couldn't really say, if forced to choose, which I'd prefer.

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

When it comes down to it, I don't find charges of her "corruption" particularly compelling and I think she would be more effective at advancing liberal causes in the world we live in than the imagined world that Sanders is selling his followers. I can understand why his stances and "authenticity" is appealing to my fellow liberals but I think he is leading them down the path to ruin and disappointment.

I also find it fundamentally problematic that he was not a Democrat until he decided he wanted to run for president.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

He's always caucused with the Democrats and was accepted by them. If he could be viable as a 3rd party candidate I am sure he'd run that way, but typically, one has to play within the system he wants to change.

BurnPyro and darklord48 like this.
  4. Sokolov

All I know is all the leading candidates on the right just seem crazy to me and Bernie is the closest candidate to what I actually want (though still not nearly left enough).

I don't mind Rand Paul as much, but he's probably one of those factional candidates that will never win.

5. doubtofbuddha

Still does not change the fact that he is trying to take over the party at a moment of strength and lead it down a rabbit hole to its destruction. He is like a left-wing version of Trump in that regard. I like the Democratic Party. I don't want to see what he ultimately intends to do with it.

6. Sokolov

To be honest, if I was a DNC strategist I'd actually throw this whole election.

The economy (globally) is going to tank again during the next 5 to 10 years (my opinion), and I wouldn't want people blaming it on "3 terms of Democrats in the White House."

If Trump gets elected and then the economy tanks while he is "making America great again" that's good stuff for Democrats beyond 2020, since that'll be two times in recent history that a Republican was in office preceding a crash.

BurnPyro likes this.
  7. doubtofbuddha

I would still want to win. There are likely to be multiple supreme court vacancies in the next presidency and I think that is more important than being president 4/8 years from now. Honestly, after this next presidency I think it is more important to start taking back statehouses than winning on the national scale. The next redistricting after the census, is what is really important outside of the SC.

8. Sokolov

Of course, being Democrats, they won't know how to use it the way Republicans are able to sell anything to the American people and have them eat it up.

BurnPyro likes this.
  9. Sokolov

The thing is that historically, you are more likely to see a swing in the Senate/House towards your party if the sitting President is the other party. There's a reason why 2010/2012 was so terrible for Democrats outside of the Executive Branch.

10. doubtofbuddha

I haven't seen very much indication that extends down to state houses. Have you?

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I've seen, tragically, in the UK how a savvy right wing party can use a recession to their own ends.

Blame the recession on the free spending of the previous government.
    Tell everyone it is hard times and we need to make sacrifices to put the country back on it's feet.
    Sell off public owned assets, cut government spending, shrink the state.

BurnPyro likes this.
  12. Sokolov

The irony is that this just makes the recession last longer and makes the next one even worse.

13. Sokolov

I am not sure if this is what you mean but 2010:
    upload_2016-2-10_15-13-12.png

14. Sokolov

2006 (Bush in office)

upload_2016-2-10_15-14-54.png

15. doubtofbuddha

The first one was. Though I would want to see data over a much longer term.

16. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

The way I see it, even though he didn't win Iowa, it was still a win for him. He was thought to lose Iowa by more than he did (as I understand it).... And some sources are claiming that the final count was misrepresented. The fact that it was so close means that he did better than expected, and may have in fact won the popular

DarkJello likes this.
  17. PurpleTop

Honestly I think Bernie has a much better chance at this point than he did a month ago. Hillary keeps proving time after time that she doesn't deserve the vote of certain demographics, including women

DarkJello likes this.
  18. PurpleTop

Again, apologies for being behind

19. doubtofbuddha

You saying that it is so does not make it. What has she done to prove that she does not deserve the vote of women?

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Fiorina and Christie have dropped out today. The republican pool is down to 7. I wonder what would happen if enough candidates stay in the running to prevent anyone from getting the 1,237 needed for the nomination. If the remaining 7 kept the same percentage until the primaries were over, Trump would be in the lead, but would only have 857.48.

DarkJello likes this.