A discussion on the future of the Paladin/Inquisition theme.

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Markoth, Mar 25, 2015.

?

Should Paladin and Priest Barbarians become Humans again?

1. Yes

78.9%
  2. No

21.1%
  1. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

Human should be a race ike undead, then al'maran, elsarin and barbarian as subraces, this would powerup FW/IS splits, while differentiate themes

-ON THE OTHER HAND-

We are all humans, even being catholics, atheists, buddhists, etc. Isn't it hard to make all barbs humans and drop barb to class instead of race.

What are all Draksar before the mutation?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

This sounds lovely.

What do you think @Sokolov?

3. KPIC

KPIC Devotee of the Blood Owl

As a writer, I think through language a lot. Race is just another word for categorizing people. You should call this race "Proselyte."

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Various.

5. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Why is Branded as expensive as Sundered 2? It is strictly worse than it as it only works on paladins provides typed damage and does not stack.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Likely because Sundered 2 will only be found on melee units while Mark is also on ranged. I kinda miss Mark dealing some additional effect when attacking already branded targets but the ability is solid as is.

7. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I like it too! "So let it be written, so let it be done!"

Or Vikings/Norse?

8. Nora That

Nora That I need me some PIE!

I really dig the brandseeker ability, and Al'mara angel would be the champ for it

9. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

seriously, just make them all humans, that is what they are, and make barbarian a class. Then the ones that have direct lore relations to once being barbarians can retain either class related synergy/abilities or something designed in to make them work.

Edit: And I disagree with a big part of our opening post. Dwarfs, and paladins section specifically as they are both bloated and not well defined. If you want to have a reason to not just run those you are going to have to really go back and limit what it means to be those as both are currently do everything in IS they want champions.

I'm talking real limits like dwarfs are actually slow, paladins offensive options are limited, and yes markoth they should be HEAVILY restricted to melee if not only melee with range options being non paladins or alt abilities/so rare its not even funny. Not minor ones like no paladins have detection.

You are going to need to trim a LOT of the themes synergy away from paladin only or specific to make running priests, which should be able to do some fighting if only through abilities not stats, or shamans worth while. Paladins and dwarfs ( and similarly to all factions primary race) need a big old boot to their face in terms of their over reaching designs.

The theme also needs limits. A CTE/Holy based theme really doesn't lack anything, they have the dumbly general super dwarf/paladin champions, ungodly support options in and out of theme, and can generally deal with most things to a pretty high degree. Trim the fat, make them good/great at a select area and let them have real weaknesses. Skill should include leveraging your own strong and weak points not just who can build the best well rounded deck with the best stuff.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Woffleet likes this.
  10. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Why not just make them all humans, and make barbarian a class. Honestly, how hard is that to do? There are a grand total of what 3 abilities that look for barbarian race? Inst it a some what simpe matter to change those 2-3 abilities to look for class barbarian instead? Then you can actually make barbarians from other races. Its actually fixing the issue instead of band aiding it.

Also the original barbarians ( Commander, Interrogator, Renegade, Shaman, Tundra) were races Barbarian, Human. Im talking day one of Pox going live, maybe not beta, but day one as I joined a month after it released. Not to mention the very first story that had POX as a wargame had IS being a HUMAN and dwarf faction made up of the rich people in the upper section of the city, and SL being the poor humans/dwarfs who lived in the outskirts, and became trained after their leader murdered the IS ambassador guy who went to talk about their demands.. So there is plenty of historical/lore examples ( more but they have changed the story like 3 times, hence all the messed up lore) to justify humans in the game.

Not to mention it actually creates a theme from existing runes. You can make a Human deck /split with a sub set of barbarians or paladin/priests whatever. Just like Dwarfs have everything really. Plus you fix balance issues in current and future runes with powerful barbarian abilities hitting things like Magnus or Isran and same for holy based ones working with Barbarians with out just making some ridicules justification that somehow living off the land for what a few decades would remove someones humanity, but going to school for a few years would restore it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015