A random thought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilsrath, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Should we keep card cooldowns?

1. Yes

44.4%
  2. No

55.6%
  1. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

What if we completely got rid of card cooldowns and changed it so that once a card has been played or destroyed it goes to the "card graveyard".

Pro's to this?
    Shorter game times
    Potentially more strategy and less- i'll just cast these low cost, low CD spells, or place this relic in the font because why not
    More design space e.g. spells/abilities that restore cards from the graveyard
    Balance becomes easier around costing- if something is cheap it would no longer be spammable
    Potentially change the "meta" to emphasize more on expensive champs because once a card is gone, it's gone.

Con's?
    Potentially run out of cards in the game? - this is remedied by point 3 above
    Make expensive/survivable champs more efficient

Having gave this some thought i'm of the opinion that pox would be a better game but i'm interested to hear your guys thoughts as i'm struggling to think of any con's.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It would be an interesting experiment but it completely changes the game. FW bonus, gone, cheap champs, done. It would be drastic.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

It would certainly add more strategy to the game, I'd be interested in this.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'd like to at least see the concept fleshed out to see if we can make it work, 'cause I like the basic idea.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  5. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

make it like an actual card game? Draw 3 cards per turn, discard down to 2 at the end of the turn, increased deck size.

I wish we had testfire events where Bane Shift like this could go down.

6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Humm, this is an interesting idea, I like it.
    Maybe FW could be the only faction with access to cooldowns, which would make the bonus pretty relevant if you ask me.
    I'd like to see it at least discussed a bit, anything that moves the game away from cheap champ spam is fine by me.

D4rkSteel and mortal ix like this.
  7. KPIC

KPIC Devotee of the Blood Owl

This could work, but I like having cool downs. There would be less card variety in deck builds since there would be little to no card return. The Jellebrium theme would need to be reworked as well as Chronomancer.

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Think decks would have to be bumped to 40 if themes like Moga were to survive the change.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I know right.

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That's, uh, a pretty fundamental change. Pox community really loves farkin around with core mechanics.

Revengercm likes this.
  11. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I'm interested in the idea, but it's too much work for DOG to feasibly do it.

12. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Something that complety changes the game, no thanks. They take several months for little patchs already...

13. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

iPox would have a field day, I'm sure....

That being said, it would have to be rigorously tested to make sure there were no infinite combos and such but it would certainly make the game different...
    @Sokolov graveyards for Pox 2.0!

14. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Pox should move away from card game mechanics, not towards them.

15. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

fw bonus gone? what bonus?!?

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think Baskit is referring to the powerful, sometimes game-winning bonus that helps define FW.

17. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Indeed.

At least my idea was for a new game building on this one.

18. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

trololol

19. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

thats how magic works. its not the same of course, maybe to combat the shoe box of many cards as mentioned would be to increase the deck size.
    and then resurrect would actually be resurrect.

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Personally, I am not sure this change would make things easier to balance - it'd just change the equation somewhat.

~

A less drastic, but functionally similar change would be to have everything set to a specific CD, say 12.

soulmilk and mw24 like this.