A Suggestion for Whispers

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Molosse, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Whispers of the Mind remains one of the most cost-effective and punishing forms of control in Pox at this time for several reasons:

A) A single/double missed attack from a hidden effect is by itself a powerful effect as other alternatives such as Blizzard Cloak, another hidden "Miss" effect, at the very least allow the second attack to be redirected or at least called off.

B) The effect itself specifies the attack "Misses" and ignores effects such as precision and the like which have traditionally served as a counter to effects which cause a miss, Whispers ignoring this precedent begets an annoying new precedent where we would require ever increasing effectiveness from abilities similar to precision to counter the ever increasing effectiveness of abilities that cause a champion to miss.

C) The subsequent hit of the ap loss means that, beyond defending a champion from a single or pair of attacks, it is incredibly easy to leave a champion stranded and thus easy pickings for follow up attacks the next turn with very little thought involved.

D) Beyond all the above very powerful applications it also incurs Distracted 4. While it's not overtly powerful by itself the simple addition of the following effect on top of all those mentioned slightly beggar's belief.

To deal with the above issues I propose the following change from:

The next time target champion makes a basic attack, that attack misses and the champion loses all AP and becomes Distracted 4. This effect is hidden until triggered. 35nora

To:

The next time target champion makes a basic attack, that attack misses and the champion becomes Distracted 4. This effect is hidden until triggered. 25nora

In addition I would request the weird overlap between Precision effects and "Misses" effects clarified and fixed.

What do y'all think.

@DMrBadguy

2. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

If the champ has precision the attack wont miss. Whispers does not ignore precision.

3. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Ye actually whispers does not ignore precision. I think its pretty okay now since it has a 4 turn clause. If it only misses one attack, the counters to this spell would be: Multiattack, Rapid attack, most AP gen, Precision, Dispel, Cleansing Aura.

I think to nerf it more, it should be something like
    The next time target champion makes a basic attack, that attack misses and the champion becomes Distracted 4 and loses 2 AP at the start of its next turn. This effect is hidden until triggered. 30 nora

25 Nora is so cheap and have way shorter CD, especially if you have Favor champ (SotM), you can just spam 2x of these all day long. I think 30 is already a good cost for the spell. But if we were to nerf it again and keep its cost, I think the above idea would be sufficient. So basically the spell just prevents hitting you twice two times in a row.

I feel the same way against WotM. Its not as powerful as a survival spell as it is for offensive uses: leaving champs with 0 AP to make him have nowhere to run after it misses its attack. With my changes, the opposing champion's offensive capabilities will be further halted with Distract and losing 2 AP, but he can still run away and such.

4. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Well unless I'd been running an Archer BG with champions rocking precision and spot precision I'd disagree. In any case it may have to do with the order of which it was applied? I'll test it today.

5. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Whispers is fine as is. Kinda predictable, actually

RedScarlet likes this.
  6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I could be wrong but my understanding of Whispers and precision is that precision applied after whispers either via spell, ability or equip, will not miss but whispers cast on a champ with precision will indeed cause the champ to miss. I havnt tested this myself though.

7. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

Would you like to test it right now?

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I would but I will be at work for the next 6 hours and they havnt yet released pox for iPad :'(

9. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

You can however play it on many of the windows tablets........ another reason Apple is inferior.

SaintKiwi likes this.