A toast to the Legends!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Because DOG needs $$$. There would be someone listening if they are offered some I'm sure... Would have to go straight to @Gedden.

2. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Oh of course I don't blame him but it's just sad to see that he has lost interest after all this time.

If it's a realistic possibility then I'd like to help out, maybe we should create a thread to see how many people are interested.

3. Bondman007

The ultimate problem is we need a strong central leader of the movement to pull it off. One with $$$, time, patience, and the greatest need, passion for Pox Nora.
    If someone wants to take the reigns then I'm positive there could be hope (TM).

AND if the game were to be relaunched, it should be called something like Pox Nora LEGACY or PN Legends, or the Legend of Pox Nora. Something akin to that to let everyone know it has been redone... hopefully properly.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Honestly if someone had the opportunity to purchase poxnora, there isn't really a limit to what could be done, with in the infrastructure that already exists, one being reverting the client and scraping ties with PSN users, I know that would probably piss a couple people off, but I mean realistically it was a half baked idea that really wasn't put forward with 100% effort, and really suffered because of it. Imagine being a PSN user, comparatively to us. Remaking PoxNora isn't something I've been a fan of, multiple companies have tried and failed miserably, and what exists as is, isn't really that easy to fix. This game is buried in years and years of coding and would take some time to navigate through, but I think it could definitely be done with the right amount of care.

Anyways, there's a good number of people willing to pay some decent money, but there's no direct line with Gedden. Which above is all is the most frustrating part, and from talking with Sokolov he wants to keep the server open (god knows for what at this point). So we're really in a Bane Shift place in terms of what we can do.

Bondman007 likes this.
  5. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Has anyone else tried to login into the Space Wars game and tried to contact Gedden directly? I think he's the main person in the forums. I tried, but my account said that I can not post. I've also been trying to contact him through the DOG website. Lastly, I downloaded Unity, the platform on which the game is made. I think we could get something together if people would take the time to contribute map making. Unity looks fairly straightforward, and I'm not a programmer. Unity has a plethora and already made characters we could use temporarily until better, more Poxnora-ish characters were made. The thing we'd need the most would be maps and interaction code.

Bondman007 likes this.
  6. Bondman007

I just started a conversation with @Gedden on the Space Wars forums... some pretty bad news tho, either Gedden never logs into the forums or he logs in under an alias. More bad news, there hasn't been a post in the Space Wars forums since May 28th. That's VERY bad for SW's and DOG. Maybe they've just gone completely belly up... and maybe Pox and SW is just riding out what little server time DOG bought up...

7. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

oh...gedden abandoned another game he developed....I feel like theirs a charlie and the chocolate factory meme designed for my current emotion.

as I said long ago it's why i would never support a pox 2.0 designed by them, as it would just continue this trend of build up then sell/abandon that pox has had going on forever.

Karmavore likes this.
  8. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

They are not SW owners, just contractors, and the game was clear to be stillborn long prior to the release. However if they don't have some project under nda going on, or are taking some embarrassing jobs to survive, they are still quite likely to be dead.

9. Bondman007

Does Gedden own DOG? Who else could we reach if not Gedden?

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

11. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I like you guys.

It's kind of like watching a bunch of cavemen trying to figure out how to open a can of beans.

Come to think of it, if I had to choose between contacting somebody on a game forum or using their mail for interested investors and publishers... Yep! I'd use the game forum too.

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I just literally have nothing to add at this point and have stated so several times. Until that changes, I will just be repeating myself.

13. Bondman007

Please see my next post...

So now what, Mister Doctor Professor??

potatonuts likes this.
  14. Bondman007

Well, here is the response from Vesuvius at Space Wars...

message.png

15. Bondman007

@Sokolov
    @Senshu

So do either of you guys know exactly what this means? Are the servers only running until their "lease" or "domain time" comes to an end? How long of an estimate until the servers shut down because the fees aren't paid?

16. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Good Firking game.

17. Bondman007

[​IMG]

18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I honestly don't know. But my understanding is that there is the running cost is pretty low (given that there is no active development and a small playerbase).

19. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

As a non techie, can someone explain to me how this works?

Will Pox just carry on forever without maintenance? If not ( and I assume not) who actually shuts it down? Do DOG just switch off a server somewhere in the desert, or is the server run by some other company that DOG just stop paying?

20. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

As far as I know, the game will stay up as long as two things remain constant. DOG remains a company, and that the server costs are being met.