Ability Polling #1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This is mostly for fun, but it'll also give me some insight as to player valuation of abilities.

This follows the "Crack A Pack" idea. For those who are not familiar, the idea is that you are picking something out of a set of possibilities as "the choice" you would pick, as though you were drafting.

In this series, I want to talk about abilities!

For this first iteration, here are the abilities:
    1. Evasive 3
    2. Oblivion Shield
    3. One with Nora
    4. Fire Bomb 3
    5. Arctic Bolt
    6. Absolute Zero
    7. Elusive Leap
    8. Crushing Charge
    9. Swoop
    10. Divine Favor 3
    Note that no specific cost is associated with these. It'll simply be added to the champion.

Now, obviously, abilities don't exist in a vacuum, but for the purposes of this exercise, all I want you to consider is 3 hypothetical champions which already have the following characteristics:
    • Tanky Melee
    • Ranged Support
    • Cheap Meat
    If you want to just give your picks, that's fine, if you want to give some reasons, that's cool too!

So you might say:
    • Tanky Melee: Oblivion Shield, because I want him even tankier!
    • Ranged Support: Arctic Bolt, to give it some offensive potential
    • Cheap Meat: Divine Favor 3, because it's cheap to cast

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Are we assuming the abilities have 0 cost to add or do we have to worry about adding expensive ability to cheap meat making it no longer a cheap deploy?

Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Tanky melee, One With Nora for more tanking.
    Ranged support, Elusive Leap to get out of melee and continue supporting from range.
    Cheap meat, divine favor for low cooldown and repeated summoning.

4. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Tanky Melee: One with Nora, Assuming the champion is tanky because of it's stats. stalling off the same champion from attacking for another round would make it difficult to take down without lots of units.
    Ranged Support: Elusive Leap so it can gtfo if melee catches up to it. Or evasive so it's harder to counter snipe
    Cheap Meat: Divine favor 3 for the exact reason you stated. speaking of... (FW rune please?)

5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I tend to prefer utility. Whichever combination gives me the most options in a situation is what I'd take. Be it meta viable or not. I'd still choose it. I'm not sure if my answer assists or is a detriment to your poll. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. Sokolov

Correct. Or that they all have the same cost.

7. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Tanky Melee
    Fire Bomb 3: If the champion already has some staying power, and is melee, having a ranged bomb makes the champ more versatile. Melee champs also tend to have at least 10 DMG on base and so can make good use of bombs.
    Ranged Support
    Arctic Bolt: I tend to like ranged support champions that have a few different activated abilities (preferably a mix of offensive and defensive). This ability could really help if used at the right time (while keeping the champion far away and safe).
    Cheap Meat
    Divine Favor 3: With this ability on a cheap meat champion, the champion's deployment could be thought of as a spell with some HP. If the champion is sufficiently cheap, this champion would be pure awesome. ​

8. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I'd rather say which abilities shouldn't go on the champion types. But since this is a game here it goes:

Tanky Melee - Evasive 3;
    Ranged Support -Elusive Leap;
    Cheap Meat - Absolute Zero.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Id take Evaisive 3 on Tanky, Elusive Leap on the support and the cheap meat. Meat I would just throw at side fonts and let him hop around all day.

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Tanky Melee - Swoop: To close the gap and get into melee range where he would shine.
    Ranged Support - Oblivion Shield: Ranged that's hard to take down is annoying as hell, which probably makes it good, I suppose.
    Cheap Meat - One With Nora: helps the cheapo guy last way longer than his nora cost.

11. Sokolov

Interestingly, every ability except for Crushing Charge has already been mentioned.

12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I was tempted to do that instead of swoop on the melee tank, but swoop is more versatile, so I went with it instead.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Crushing charge is good, but swoop is a better gap closer.

14. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

i was tempted to put that on the cheap meat in order to be able to rush it into fonts quicker

15. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Tanky Melee- Swoop or Crushing charge, because closing the gap and engaging range is one level up from worrying about your meat tank surviving another turn of range spam when disengaging becomes more trouble than calculating for elusive leap or oblivion shield on a tank.

Ranged Support- Arctic bolt or Firebomb3 is nice since most of the time your range support will be facing some sort of silly range counter which bombs and aoes completely ignore.

Cheap Meat- Oblivion shield or One with Nora. I can see my opponent glaring at the screen as I deploy my FS cheap meat with oblivion shield or one with nora all the while generating 6 nora per turn with my ridiculous faction bonus.

16. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Tanky Melee - Swoop. I want him to stick to the thing he's blocking.
    Ranged Support - Fire Bomb 3 or Arctic Bolt. I'd take Bomb if the support's damage was relatively high, otherwise bolt to make it a threat regardless of a situation.
    Cheap Meat - Divine Favour 3 or One with Nora. Depends on how cheap it is, making it a choice between getting heals often or keeping it alive and annoying in enemy fonts.

17. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

Tanky melee: crushing charge, leap 3, binding chains, any rank of tough would be perfect
    I don't really get this thread.

18. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

You have 3 archetypes and have to choose 1 ability for each of them. Pick your poison.

19. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

• Tanky Melee: Swoop to get him front line
    • Ranged Support: Elusive leap to make finishing safer
    • Cheap Meat: Oblivion shield for potential improved nora/hp

20. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

Okay, I think I know what you meant. I will write what I'd like to have and why:
    Tanky melee: evasive - because he will be mostly tried to be one rounded, therefore a % dmg reduction is really good. Oblivion shield is like for catch me if you can type of game (ranged support, ranged dmg dealer). I really miss evasive on nullbeast (now it's like a stone golem in full plate armor -you know what I mean? he's thin as hell and he tanks like I don't know what).
    One with nora is for a champion that will be soloing stuff, not a frontliner, that will be hit by 5 champions in one turn. Firebomb - I will use it on anything that doesn't have billion abilities to spend AP on and has good base (or amped) dmg (from this list most likely tanky melee). Arctic bolt - I would use it on anything, as long as it has low base dmg. Absolute zero - same. Elusive leap - This is an ability that is usually good on things that have some sort of special attack that needs to put the champion in risk (best example is flamefist, who is actually my favourite champion to play, extremely good at his job and well designed, properly costed). crushing charge - I would use it on cheap meat, so it can reach battle/font faster. Swoop - same - cheap melee meat. Divine favor - well this is extremely situational - It would be really good on a cheap champion, that doesn't do much on its own.

So:
    Tanky - evasive
    ranged support - arctic bolt (absolute zero makes sense on a melee more, because its an aoe around the champion)
    cheap meat - divine favor (or charge or swoop eventually)