Alright team, we can only change 4 or 5 runes for SP this patch, who should we hit?

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by reskk, Jul 24, 2014.

1. reskk

reskk Member

"Definitly not Klub, Stormflyer, Dirge, Sceian, Crowned Sauropod, or Garin." - Gedden

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    alkaline89 likes this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

seems like this should be in the SP forums

dno though, do those exist

3. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Kappa

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

This is claydude1 or whatever.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Dorigon doesn't use his own name on the forums for some reason.

6. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

so what I'm getting from this thread is..... Buff Sceian?

7. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

oh ok I see. So... Buff dirge?

allyorbase and SPiEkY like this.
  8. reskk

reskk Member

I'm claydude5 and for the most part you seem to agree with my complaints in game.

9. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Is the SP forum broken?

10. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I've got to admit I was in absolute horror to see that none of the SP heroes, Azaren (tusk), GRE, Haunting Spirit and many more runes made it through the patch untouched.

I don't know whether its the council not doing their jobs or whether they are not being listened to. But I was pretty shocked.

Is it the end of the world? no, but I won't be playing any games till its looked at. (after that i'd be expecting maps and ranking system to be looked at too)

11. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Stormflyer is op but at least the biggest problems were sorted out!

12. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

I wanted my ingame name to get changed to Nexx, but I made the forums account before I actually asked if I could get my ingame name changed, but that was unfortunately, not possible. Nexx also sounds epic. Then again, I do clearly state my name in my signature.

13. MentalMoles

Look i'm not blaming you or the council or gedden, i'm just saying something is going wrong somewhere.

I know if I was part of the council i'd have been mentioning the issue with the heroes in the same context you just mentioned them to me, because I agree there is a problem with the algorithm.

14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Let's be honest here, D, the only relevant change to Whispers is the +5 nora. Making it 4 turns is hardly relevant.

15. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

The algorithm is never going to be perfect, never. In all my years on poxnora, it never has been. Not with SOE, but I personally think it went better with octopi despite the fact that they actually had problems themselves. The problem is, no matter what company owns the game, they just never adjust the algorithm to what faction and precisely what it brings to the table. I believe each faction should have its own algorithm, then we'd probably actually have balance rather than using the same algorithm for every single rune. I could be wrong, but it does look reasonable on paper.

16. MentalMoles

Didn't Gekaal lose 1 range?

17. MentalMoles

Yes, but there is an obvious common problem with heroes. you could have given hero a cost of -10 instead of -15 and then targeted the ones still absurd.

18. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

If I were to give a few examples to prove my point; (Fictional Numbers Incoming)

Let's say Fire Bomb (1,2,3) costs (6,10,14) nora respectively. Now, bombs are useful in every faction, but some more than others. If you take champion X that has Fire bomb, using the current system, it's going to cost (6,10,14) nora more respectively.

Using the same example of fire bomb, but with an algorithm for each faction alone. Fire Bomb is more useful in UD and SL rather than in IS or FW. Take champions X, Y and Z.

Champion X (UD): Fire bomb (6,12,16)
    Champion Y (IS): Fire bomb (5, 11, 14)
    Champion Z (SL): Fire bomb (6, 11, 15)

Keep in mind I didn't do any calculations to adjust these costs, so don't take them too seriously. They're all fictional, and costs would be rearranged according to the Devs if this system were in tact.

Basically, UD has Fire Volatility, which means Fire bomb is going to be extremely efficient in UD, or Fire Acolyte perhaps. (Champion X)

On the other hand, IS doesn't have anything that really synergizes with fire bomb, so it should, by default, cost less. (Champion Y)

Lastly, SL has its uses for Fire bomb, but not in comparison to UD. There's not much that synergizes apart from the amp (also found in UD) and fire acolyte (which is found in a higher ration in UD when comparing it to SL)

If costs worked like this, I believe we could actually find true balance to the algorithm. I could be wrong, again, but it does look like it's an improvement to the current algorithm.

19. Squama

Squama I need me some PIE!

Collosal AND swallow whole AND tunnel earth for 78 nora... why?
    Crowned sauropod... 50 smothing with 60 something life AND bodiguard AND colossal... again... why?

Some abilities are problematic if combined with stats. their cost should be stat dependent

20. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

Stat and Faction dependant IMO. If the faction isn't involved in its calculations, then it's not guaranteed we'd find 100% balance, but it'll be towards the edge of it.

21. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

I disagree 100%