Alt accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DiCEM0nEY, Apr 19, 2017.

1. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Giving too many rewards. Many players simply level up alt accounts to receive access to high tier runes, even within pd.

It ends up hurting players who pay for things, since the pay system will lean on players which pay for runes, causing paying players to pay more heavily for packs in order to meet quotas. (Either in quantity or pricing per pack).

One way to curb this would be to make it so players must purchase a pack of the current expansion in order to receive a reward tier. Packs are only 3$, so I think that is fairly reasonable.

As for the free gold and shards, make it so purchasing an extended or pd pack unlocks a tier. Buying a box set of any kind could unlock the rewards for that season.

This won't completely stop alting, but it will earn pox more money, and hopefully with those earnings pox will be able to give more to paying customers.

As for new player experience, the problem lies in thematic gameplay not being encouraged enough, as I have said before. Giving pvp players access to more core runes might be an option as well, even if it non ranked only.

Avatars could use a cost reduction again.

Last but not least compensate old players when making things easier for new players

2. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Don't really agree with your solutions, but I do agree about the problem. I hate how many alts are in this game.

mortal ix and Slencer like this.
  3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

This is just a symptom of how long its been since new content or a rank reset. People have just capped out on what they can or want to do on their main account and start experimenting to try and make the game fun again.

Etherielin and SPiEkY like this.
  4. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

I don't have an alt. I barely have time to play and manage any >one< game at a time, let alone manage multiple accounts. The matter of alt accounts seems to come up quite frequently with MMOs, but I suspect the reality is only present amongst the most obsessive and active of players, ie, a very small portion of the player base. That said, the player base here is currently quite small, and it's possible the majority of the upper ranks are made up of long term, active and obsessive players with lots of time on their hands. Faster rank decay would help eliminate that problem for all but the most obsessive of players.

As for generating income...
    Like it or not, online gaming is dominated by a F2P mentality. I'm old enough to have grown up with the pay to play mindset(*), but fully acknowledge that the younger generations view what they can access on the internet quite differently. It is thus a very tricky balance to offer enough free content to entice a large player base, while offering enough incentive to get some of that player base to pay for premium content without having the F2P crowd bellyache about pay to win imbalances and leave for another game.

Policies that >force< a player to pay for content are almost always a bad thing. Policies that reward paying players are perfectly acceptable, so long as the F2P players still have a way to get the same content. Typically, the two most common incentives to get players to pay are early access, (you can buy the latest expansion with money but not in-game gold), and reduction of the grind, (paying money for packs/boxes is a lot quicker than grinding for cards/gold).

Here are two options that could be introduced to encourage more paying customers.
    1. Make every non-Limited rune in the game available for purchase individually with credits. You could do a flat cost, (10 credits for a common, 20, credits for an uncommon, 100 credits for a rare, whatever it needs to be), or get really fancy and tie the credit cost with demand, (see Kingdoms CCG for example).

2. Paid tournaments. Lots of ways to do this, but the key is to offer incentive to get people to pay to play, without incurring the wrath of the F2P crowd. So, no unique runes as rewards, (non unique Limiteds are fine). How to encourage players to pay even though they know they're low ranking and don't have a chance to win any rewards? Make the entry the cost of a pack, and give every entrant a free pack for entering. Said another way, every pack purchased with credits includes a Tournament ticket with chance to win additional rewards. That may not eliminate the problem of rewards always going to the top players, but it could encourage top F2P players to become paying players.

(*) FWIW, I spent a lot of money on Pox back before the Sony acquisition. I have yet to spend any money since returning two months ago, mainly because my prior collection and the forge have allowed me to catch up with quite a lot of new to me runes, and the few PD runes I want are accessible via trade. I will very likely drop for a MegaBox or two of the new expansion once it's released because I love the buzz around a new release, and the trading frenzy that ensues.

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

If I play PvP on this account, people seem to go into tryhard mode, due to seeing my name on the forums and assuming that I'm good (I'm not). So I play on alts to get more casual games.

Lushiris likes this.
  6. Oregreen

Oregreen Member

Oh yea that is what we need an elitist cry baby with a pay to win mentality mmmm how yummy are these losers tears right now.

Alt accounts are against ToS, This is exactly why people cheat and make alt accounts. Pox doesn't care one bit about you crying over exploits. This guy openly admits to cheating by making alt accounts in order to gain an advantage in game.

A. You cant have a reward system based on wins when there are more alt accounts than legit accounts ( how tho)

B. Pay to win is for cry baby bums with no dedication to winning, I bought paaacks I should get special rewards that make me feel like I am superior BLAH BLAH WAAAAAAAHHH.

C. The game is still in beta , lighten up LOOOL

7. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Oh grand SPiEkY, thy modesty's a candle to thy merit.

Anyway, screw alts.

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I have less than a 50% winrate, man. I really am not good at this game. I just don't like facing some guy's tryhard deck in an unranked game just because people apparently know me.

9. horrible

horrible Devotee of the Blood Owl

They should reset the ranks monthly or something. It gets boring once you get to BM and there are no more rewards.

10. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Alts are a bane to poxnora in-game and on the forums, makes it very difficult to get a word in when your thread is spammed with negative nonsense from someone's 6 alts.

11. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Can you provide even one example of this happening?

12. DiCEM0nEY

5 of them are probably sokolov

13. DiCEM0nEY

Pretty insightful post, and I like your paid tournaments idea. While I find your milleneals break down amusing, it's basically people whining because they want free stuff. I promise if you make a game that incentives players to not pay, players will not play. I've paid for pn content, but I'm going to start making alts for the gibs.

I'm not against players making alts for elo reasons, I'm against the multi accounting for the rewards. It isn't fair for me to be taxed because of freeloaders. I also am for new player acessability to the game, which is why I have supported thematic gameplay from the beginning (pick up and play design).

@MrBadguy As for the comment (really hope it was trolling) about stopping all trading, that is ignorant. The reason people make alts, IS BECAUSE YOU LITERALLY GET REWARDED FOR STOMPING NOOBS, WITHOUT INVESTING ANY MONEY INTO THE ACCOUNT. Lolololol

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  14. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Just to be clear, (because you only quoted me), I said nothing about stopping trading. I LOVE trading. I would be seriously disappointed if trading was taken away.

15. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

you complain way too much over thin air.
    you really need to just shut up.
    there isn't an alt problem and even if there was one like you are saying,what of it?
    so some obsessive freak players can get some extra gold and what else?
    exactly what is the problem? because i see no problems. if they wish to waste their time on a near dead game for virtual gold then who is being hurt? and what is this tax you speak of?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  16. DiCEM0nEY

I am, because of economics. Nothing is free in life.

17. DiCEM0nEY

I'll fix that, I was referring to the the fish guy

18. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

We all know you surrender out of pity, such a magnanimous soul.

19. DiCEM0nEY

Just so you know, I don't fall into category B, I'm making the argument about the economy of the game being in the trash, and the overall abundance of clearly not beginners using try hard decks on new accounts to farm wins (or old alts), and how absurd it is overall

super71 likes this.
  20. DiCEM0nEY

no, trading is locked because of corporate greed, plain and simple. Rewards of the caliber which ranked rewards are in this game should be unlocked by buying packs. The daily achievements are more than enough for new players, and although they incentivize a tiny bit of alting, realstically people don't have enough time to obtain more than one daily achievment per day anyways, and daily achievements don't give a free exotic from the newest expansion.

super71 likes this.