Another Client Thread: the cost of reinventing the wheel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoserSlick, Jun 21, 2017.

1. LoserSlick

LoserSlick Devotee of the Blood Owl

i understand that you needed something 'new' to show sony - and the exposure and new players are both great and all... but they came at what cost? all love on this side, but i honestly do think you guys really got carried away on the visuals/aesthetics of the new client - and your players paid the price for it.

so i'm a little worried at this point, given the dev feedback i've seen so far since the ps4 release to address the many issues associated with the new game client.

i do pop in every several days or so to see what kind of progress has been made - it's a little disconcerting. this game, with all its faults, ran perfectly. but now the fundamental flaws of this game have taken a back seat to a myriad of FUNCTIONAL flaws. so many, in fact, that constantly listing them is becoming tiresome and frustrating.

that is not to say that there aren't some really cool things about the new client - there are. but the problem is that i can count those things with one hand. everything else is complete overkill.

at the end of the day, even with the added polish/the 'bells and whistles,' we're left with an unnecessarily convoluted interface, wonky in-game mechanics, a comparatively constrained playerbase, errors, and lag. looooots of laaaaaaag.

surely, i'm not entitled to information on development--and i'll continue to drop in from time to time to see where we are at--but is there any kind of general synopsis of what kind of progress is being made (or what relative 'progress' is intended at least) and what your priorities are? is there an approximate time frame you can possibly give us?

2. LoserSlick

*k, this bit might not be entirely fair on my part as i have no way of knowing why said changes were made nor what your intentions are for poxnora's future*

still, all the same...

3. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Loser, while I get your plight and there is some truth in it, you don't understand the history of Pox. This has already happened before, and DOG worked hard to get it back. This isn't the end of this game even if DOG dumped, which they won't. Pox will continue. The dysfunctional will get fixed, and the benefit of PS4 base will be brought out.

Etherielin, Andoid and LoserSlick like this.
  4. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

This has never actually happened before.

At least since i joined in the sp expansion so many years ago, pox has never had functional issues with the game.

Bugs sure, but never core functional issues, nothing like not being able to click the top of the screen, no combat log, laggy sluggish movement, non function hot keys, inability to communicate with other players, and so much more.

poxrooster likes this.
  5. poxrooster

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I wasn't referring to the cause of the problem. I was referring to the effect. The effect is that people are frustrated and don't want to play. That happened when Octo switched champ profiles from stat adjustments to skill upgrades. It happened when SOE took over. It happened when Gedden overhauled everything. It's happening again with the PS4 launch. But no, you're right, the cause of programmatic bugginess (that's a technical term) has never happened.

6. LoserSlick

so, to be fair, i suppose they've never had the opportunity to overcome a problem (or series of problems, rather) like this before? i'm optimistic.

still, i'd be a whole lot more optimistic with some dog feedback

poxrooster likes this.
  7. poxrooster

Yes, more feedback would be nice.

xaznsoulx likes this.
  8. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

There was that time sony sold pox to dog and the game shut down for like 6 months? That was lame.

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So the new client wasn't done just to have something new.

It was done for 2 major reasons:
    • The tech of the old client is ancient, and was the amendment source of a number of bugs, including the sound bug which was basically unfixable without recoding much of the game
    • Old client doesn't run on other platforms, thus in order to launch on PS4 we had to make a new client
    In reality we didn't add much "bells and whistles" or got "carried away" with anything. The problems exist because the functionality of the old client was incrementally added over many years, and re-making every function has proven to take much more time than originally planned - especially given that Sony has very specific technical requirements (most of which does not affect you guys).

The reasons features were "removed" is not so much that they got removed as that they haven't been added.

~

There's no defense for the client's current state really, it's not good. But it wasn't done just for the sake of something new.

DiCEM0nEY, Braxzee and OriginalG1 like this.
  10. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I think people were upset because it was released in such a shitty state. I personally think that Sony bosses DOG around, and you guys basically take it. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but isn't paragon 100% a bi- account game, where POX only has cloning and no trade?

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Not really. People like to make it sound like that, but it's largely just contracts and such. Paragon would also have been subject to the same TRC/FQA rules. Paragon is cross platform with a unified account yes, but we don't know what their arrangement is, for example, maybe they are giving Sony 30% gross regardless of which platform the players are on. Paragon is also a new game, launched on both platforms at the same time, while Pox is an established product. The fact is people make a lot of assumptions based on very little information and it's just silly. If you ever find your in a position to negotiate these kinds of contracts, you will find that you get some of what you want, and the other party gets some of what they want. It's not about one side "bossing" the other side around.

Note that Paragon's full cross platform play is actually something many players don't like, as the general consensus is that having PS4 players on your team vs PC players on the other team sucks - so their player base is actually pushing for them to split it up.

12. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

But they have unified accounts, something that probably will destroy the psn version of pox in the long (short) run . Also, pox can be played on the ps4, where as paragon probably can't. But in all honesty, competitive paragon is probably a meme anyways.

I think it is accurate to say that DOG did not negotiate a good deal with Sony, hence the no unified accounts. I realize I was not there, but why even bother with the project at all if it knowingly wasn't going to be done right (answer: cash grab). I understand there are percieved benefits of having Sony fund a client update, but it seems like the players are paying a pretty big toll right now, and I really question if there wasn't a betterr way.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017