Another Faction Bonus Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mercer Skye, Aug 24, 2014.

1. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

So IS gets perma cleansed and Regen 4 if they play pallies (or goodstuff heroes), for free?

While 9 champs in SL basically have stealth for free (while the trail gives it off, but it enables them to not get ranged), and also triggers Desert Master and stuff.. wew.

while FW's trail are only beneficial if opponent is dumb enough to stand on it...

that's not entirely fair at all..

SP = Trail: Chasm and "This champion has Chasmwalker" across the faction. 2x2s wud be great.

2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Buff IS

Baskitkase likes this.
  3. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Triggering desert master has always been the biggest stealth op of the SL camp. Please don't give it away now, or desert walker will get nerfed to 20 nora cost.

4. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Buff SP
    +2HP Klub
    1-4RNG on Sciean
    Bold Blitz on Dirge
    Crowned Sauropod gets Hunter: Giant
    Soothsayer gets Zeal

Then you have my permission to buff IS global trail:Hallowed Ground

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    claydude5 likes this.
  5. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Maybe I shouldn't have encouraged this line of thought. No, faction wide trails would not be a good idea. As you stated, there's no way they'd be fair without some major buffs to a couple of them, and I don't think we'd want to travel down that road.

Of course, saying that what we have now is perfectly fine just makes me boggle. There's no way +1spd is anywhere close to spell resistance. Getting discounts on your champs is far above being able to pay for your champ all over again sooner than your opponent can. That's what I'm against. Being able to blatantly point at two bonuses and say 'This ones obviously better than that one,' and 'That one totally sucks compared to this one.'

Since KF is the favorite whipping boy right now. Why on Pox would a tree magically get +spd? I know logic is a weird argument to use in this fantasy setting, but I think it's pretty apt here. Why, in FW, do my non-undead witches cooldown just as quickly as undead in the same price range? Now, SL's makes sense to a degree, because just about everything from that neck of the world is now living in a barren, harsh wasteland, I'd imagine anything from there would get tougher. UD, too, you have to be pretty brutal to survive there.

So, no Xuvali, I'm not trolling, I'm quite serious that when it comes time to rework these things, we're not scrambling to have new ideas heard. I don't want to see it get screwed up when we have a chance to even things out.

RedScarlet likes this.
  6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

If all champs are priced using the same algorithm (assuming it doesn't factor in faction bonuses), then the only way for faction bonuses to be 'fine' is if they are balanced with respect to each other (and they are not). You cant factor in font bonuses into the equation because split decks don't use a half font bonus.

remove faction bonuses. then reevaluate font bonuses. then give every race and class a useful ability (ie moving the bonuses from the faction level to the theme level).

This is the right answer and ive said it many times (and before any of you). slowly the rest of you are coming around though I doubt the devs ever will, so its a dead topic.

/thread

Woffleet, Dagda and Mercer Skye like this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I need to feel important so let me claim a thought no one will care to disprove nor have the evidence to do so.

I might actually look like a knob to everyone else but I get up from my computer and fist pump as I say aloud, "bichez just got pwnt up in them forumz!!"

Dagda likes this.
  8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Im the original reformer. the rest of you are late to the game. deal with it.

Dagda likes this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It's not my fault I'm late, it's societies fault for not fostering a grander sense of forum urgency in me.

Dagda likes this.
  10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

if you guys made a sitcom i'd watch it

11. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

The only faction bonuses that could really be balanced in regards to each other are the direct-stat bonuses like ST, KF, and UD. The algorithm actually makes +1 SPD approximately equal to +10 HP and approximately equal to +4 DMG (not +2 DMG, of course). It is really hard to compare the "cost" of the other faction bonuses.

Also, during the revamp the devs considered changing the KF bonus but I was one of the only people asking for a change and so they didn't change it. People weren't complaining enough about it.

12. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Which I imagine, at least at the start, was because too many were involved in the kneejerk hissy fit fest that came from beloved champs being brought in line.

Regardless, and again, I can admit nora gen might be the wrong approach when they come to re-doing the faction bonuses, but it seems the only thing that a region in the game would actually share across all of it's inhabitants. Combat bonuses (at least a couple of them), just don't make much sense to me. Like speed for trees (beating that horse again), or cooldown reduction for the living members of the Wastes. I just know with the few outliers in the mix that show blatant disparity to the lesser bonuses, I can't think of a better time than shaking everything up and leveling the field.

Combat bonuses on par with each other might be the right course of action....I just...that would be so bland, and has been so bland for the longest time.

13. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

You guys are so rude, just cause the guy had an idea u dont agree with lol.

I personally think all faction bonuses should be removed for the sake of balance. The runes themselves should reflect a factions playstyle not some boring fixed bonus.

profhulk likes this.
  14. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Yea as if that would ever happenn. It's not like FS was supposed to be the "mobility" faction or anything. No way lets just have it be the massive nora gen faction.

EnigmaXIII likes this.
  15. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

The problem is the faction then has no identity. Like ppl have mentioned before the only thing that would make kthir champs different from UD champs would just be that seal in the corner.

16. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

What! KF has mainly ranged units, UD has like 3! KF is very different from UD.

17. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Remove Nora from the game.
    According to lore, all of Poxanthru should have run out of it by now with all this use.

The main continent was already nearly dry when they found Maljara.

18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

So what you're saying is making champs cost even cheaper!

19. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

It's disheartening to see so many people take @Mercer Skye's legitimate train of thought and dismiss it out of hand because they can't see the design and balance clusterpox that is the faction bonuses. The problem with balancing those bonuses is that they operate in different dimensions, most of which don't overlap, and most most of which can be objectively quantified. Attempting to put them all in the same dimension, especially one which is quantifiable is a good step towards reaching some balance between the faction bonuses. Not that nora gen is the right dimension but come on guys.

20. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

The problem is that redesigning faction bonuses would make even more of a cluster**** then the current "imbalance". Maybe you guys haven't noticed, but units in some factions are designed around the bonus, which is exactly the reason you see so many 6+1 speed k'thir and 45-50 hp SL units, as well as little range in UD.

What that means is, redesigning bonuses would lead to revamping most of the units one more time.

If anything, I'd like to see font bonuses brought in line. +1 AP has to go from IS and ST.

TeaScholar likes this.