Anyone in/served in the US Army or Airforce?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cydna, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Why not become a police officer immediately? There's a lot of corruption you could stand up to. FFS, if you want to be a hero don't go to the damn military for it.

A good experience ... The cameradrie (-6 nora) maybe, but the things you might end up seeing, doing, enforcing ... You will be under the command of people that use you as a tool to earn money. I would not want that for anyone, least of all for me (or my not-gonna-happen children, unless I adopt ...)

2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Police Officer is of the lowest interest. I want to do something I'll enjoy, or something where I'll be making a lot of $$.

3. Boozha

Judge or Public Defender, perhaps ... Other professions where you could fight institutional corruption and, I think, also rake in some dough. As for fun, I don't know how you tick, but for me fighting for justice is kinda fun

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Science sounds fun, or Bionuclear Engineering.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Most jobs like that in the military will be filled by officers who have gone to college in that field.

Joining the Army rotc is not a bad gig. You're signing away 10 years but 4 of that is college and it's all paid for. Good schools too, like TX A&M.

Alot of the work on the enlisted side will be fairly vocational, at least in the start.

MP is a very popular request from recruits. But it would set you up nicely for the police afterwards.

Army is also great for legacy/family type situations.

Marines is about contact. Wait till Boozy finds this thread, he'll whine your face off, it's hilarious.

Navy and AF are more career type services as you're going to get great access to translatable skills (stuff you can do as a civillian) and a relative assurance not to be in harms way. Yes the navy cam participate in war/conflict but our navy is 10 years ahead and 10 times as large as everyone else put together. No one will enter a naval battle with the US.

6. Boozha

I'm doing chemistry. As interesting as it gets, but a bit frustrating with all the math in it. If you like math, go for it. It certainly, guaranteed, is the future.

Also, lol at Baskit being behind fourty years as always.

7. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

@Boozha You so heavily critique a system that granted you the right to say the things you do.

8. Boozha

No, it did not. I hate it when people attribute the achievements of others to themselves to justify their failings. The US military did nothing for me, except perhaps take some financial pressure off our military. Which amounts to "whatever".

9. SaintKiwi

The American government/military built West Germany from the ground up. We based your constitution off of ours.

10. Boozha

Actually Germany built up Germany again, with the help of the marshal plan. Which was not particulary altruistic in nature, so don't expect me to break out in throes of worship.

As for our constitution, it was originally meant to be a transitional document to be replaced with a real constitution later, which is why it is called "Grundgesetz" - "Basic law". It proved pretty damn successful, though. Whoever wrote that beat your founding fathers by miles, I'll give you that, but since then all German law has been instituted by Germans.

You did not fundamentally change the style of government either; before the third reich the Weimar Republic was already a representative democracy. So one way or another, after the fall of the **** dominion we'd have returned to democratic roots.

So all in all, thanks for helping with that Hitler dude seventy years ago, but we are not in your debt anymore in any way; if we were we would be just as endebted, rather more, to the Russians and Englishmen.

Edit: if this post lacks eloquence or even coherence it is because I haven't slept for 21 hours and feel like Bane Shift.

11. SaintKiwi

lol your post could have been valid except

12. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

still wonder why my family is so heavy against joining the marines since it was my first choice. Found the loop hole after air force and decided on army infantry, course I should of pushed for airborne or ranger contract at meps (stupid me). Glad I got a recruiter who will tell me straight up that it's not 100% that you get to rangers once you're in since you have to go through a lot of waiting and other bs. I can wait.

still can't wait to go either way.

13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

So, hold on, can you or can't you wait?

Baskitkase likes this.
  14. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I can wait to be a ranger, can't wait to ship to basic

I don't proof read

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It's alot of fun. It's hard, but nothing easy is worth doing cept for Suzy.

Molosse likes this.
  16. Boozha

Why? The main burden laid on Russia, supported by the US lend-lease, but still the US won from the war while the Soviet Union lost incredibly much. Perhaps the most pyrrhic victory in history.

England held steadfast against the Nazis and did the main work on the intelligence front. They broke the already reinforced Enigma, for example.

Of course it was pretty beneficial for Germany that the western allies captured three quarters of Germany; having not lost as much as the Soviet Union they were neither as thirsty for vengeance nor as desperate for resources as them. But, as aforementioned, there was little altruism there either.

Also, its a lot. Not alot. Alots are furry animals. Hick

17. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Whine about how somebody's military is nothing but "baby killers" when yours was responsible for one of the largest genocides in human history.

Baskitkase likes this.
  18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

So are you suggesting I go to College first? Because one of the other reasons I wanted to join the military was because I don't want to go to College yet.

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

No, you just mentioned Engineering and stuff. If you're not ready for college that'd be a waste.

If I had it to do all over again I'd do everything exactly as I did. I am of the mind that you can make any opportunity a great one. Life is like that. Just do what you think is best. You'll make something great out of it.

20. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

There is an issue of past and present though isn't there? I'm British, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about people invading other countries because we invaded them all in the past? Simply doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticise the US military. But I don't agree with your statement at all.

Also, I've not read any "baby killer" statements so can't comment. BUT... It is fair to attack some of the British and US approach to war over the last couple of decades. This is not at a soldier level, but at a decisions level.