Anyone in/served in the US Army or Airforce?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cydna, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

So who did I kill? What atrocities am I responsible for? Hm?

Yeah, didn't think so, ass.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

you're committing genocide on my braincells

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It's called homicide when it's just a killing of one.

4. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

my favorite is aborticide

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I spent 8 years in the Minnesota Army National Guard. If you're not aware, the Army National Guard, Army Reserve, and Army all go to the same training. As was previously stated, get anything your recruiter says in writing. I would start out by taking a practice ASVAB so you have an idea what you'll get. Even if you're qualified to be an MP, you may qualify for another job that has a higher enlistment bonus. When I joined in 99, the IT field had only a $500 enlistment bonus. In 2004, it was $10,000. In 2006, when I wanted to re-enlist, but couldn't due to knee problems, it was $20,000 to re-enlist for another 6 years. Keep in mind, that's National Guard, so I was still home most of the time.

That said, regardless of what your recruiter tells you, the ultimate role of the military is national defense, which in the US means going to combat zones and on peace keeping missions. In the National Guard they tell you to expect one overseas deployment, to a combat zone, every six years. You probably only think of Iraq and Afghanistan, but since the first gulf war in 1991, there has been Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia, Kosovo, and a number of peace keeping missions. My National Guard unit was deployed to Bosnia twice in the eight years I was in, and as I was getting out, went to Iraq for the first time, and has been back since.

http://www.infoplease.com/timelines/militaryoperations.html - Since WWII

Baskitkase likes this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

nah dude, people who are paid to fill a quota by convincing people to go do dangerous and morally questionable work are totally trustworthy, they're going to teach you so many usefull skills. and all the years you have to sign away to actually get the benefits for having served in there are totes worth it.

Trust me, I'm a troll on the internet.

This part is good advice and applies to anything that is promised these days.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Them americans with their patriotic crap. It's suprising that there are still some that are willingly going to the army. I mean, really? Do you guys even know what you're fighting for? :D

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

JaceDragon and Nebron like this.
  9. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

just be careful there are alot of ways to get injured but im sure you know that
    @Covah how long do you want to stay in the army do you want to be a gulll oficer? Or just want the basic training like your brother

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I know right? they're not nearly as flamboyant as advertised.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

You might also be surprised that not only are enlistment quotas met before advertisements but standards are raised above the lowest almost every year due to too many applicants.

How can you be surprised at the "patriotic crap"? I mean, thats exactly who we come from. Pretty much every non-Mexican immigrant to the US has had to make huge sacrifices to get here. I guess its just not that easy to understand without our perspective.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Recruiters are just an obstacle like any (many) others you'll face in front of making your future. See it for what it is, develop a plan to get through/past it and execute. If you frame it right (do your research), you can consider recruiters for what they are, know exactly how they will react and they will be one of the easiest hurdles you'll ever face. Rarely does your obstruction/opponent act so predictably.

They'll try to use assets such as the mire of tradition, grandeur and needs of the nation - because those are ideals that appeal to you on the surface, but their intentions are only procurement of personel.

You have the only leverage in the deal, yourself. A single play. If you just walk up and put the card on the table, they've got you. But if you negotiate from a position of power then the control and result stay to yourself. If you allow yourself to exist in the facade they create, and the same one that everyone is whining about, then you've only yourself to blame.

You could change some of those nouns and apply that to almost any situation.

Who cares what recruiters do or think, you only care that you know how they will think and what they will do. Win.

13. Lop

Lop The King of Potatoes

When Germany lost the war, it became subjected to cultural and political hegemony, imposed by the winners. This isn't an uncommon process. Foreign Crusaders did this to conquered Arabs, USA to Japan, imperialists over natives, financial institutions over governments, etc. It is even mentioned Machiavelli's The Prince that the loser should be weakened and demolished once conquered, to break away their hopes and chances of rising up. Even though Germans are proud people, it did not build itself in a way that serves the best interests of the country, especially since it was constantly being supervised (The loser doesn't have much choice). The rule is, once you beat someone, keep him down and morally weak.

The Wiemar Republic was no where close to democracy. If you are referring to true democracy, then no. If you are referring to the casual "democratic model" that is often adopted by Western countries, then yes. It wasn't even a substantial system. It lasted for only for about 14 years. 1918/19-1933. It rose after Germany lost WWI and only made conditions worse (talking about poverty/unrest/unemployment). How can it be a democratic system if it was not even founded by an advocate of democracy.

Think about this part, who has the power to form a government as soon as a war is over? X people of country X (losers) or Y people (conquerors)? The Wiemar Republic is not the result of true Germans because they couldn't even stand up after the heavy beat down. The Wiemar Republic shaped foreign interests. Had the Wiemar Republic been fully developed, Germany would have been as "democratic" as America is today.

One cannot achieve true Democracy if the nation's government does not rule itself.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

When did "help me enlist" turn into "Germany got pwnt"?

15. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

The recruiter stuff is true. I talked ti a navy guy and told me some straight bs. Army recruiter though I appreciate that he Is just trying to make money but damn. He is so buddy buddy that it's hard to take him serious during PT. But he does seem to actually care about what happens to us so w/e.

I didn't think to ever try and get a contract for ranger or airborne until after meps. I'm fine with infantry though. In not the smartest.

Personally isn't even about patriotism to be honest. I just don't want some boring job at a desk or doing something I won't over all enjoy. I do expect to hate aspects of being in, but where would the fun be if it wasn't hard.

I just want some action and see what it's really like.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

You'll get your fill. And no one joins and goes straight into Rangers so having that contact before you sign is not so important anyway. Infantry is about the best place you can be to set yourself up for Rangers. The biggest thing that separates people early on is their ability to shoot (at least in the Marines), become known as a shooter and they'll find you.

17. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

It's really like being abused for the gain of other people at the cost of yet other people. Seriously.

18. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

That's good to know.

Getting a small .22 rifle that has an assault look to it over hunting for Christmas. So have that to practise with.

Also found out I may need to shoot with left eye for long ranger since my far sight is better left than right (left is better15/20 and right 17/20 for far, but both are 20/20 near sight). Not bad with shooting left just have to get use to placement more.

19. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

Everyone uses everyone else. Who the Firk cares.

20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I do ... care...

Boozha likes this.