apparently there was a school shooting in america?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Feb 17, 2018.

1. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Piers Morgan is a colossal idiot; He's as close as you get to a real-life strawman.

BurnPyro, Alakhami and Geressen like this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

okay well lets compare australia to texas alone, Australia is a much larger place than texas & with a higher population.

1 could argue that a lot of our population is in the outback so our crime is spread a lot more thin but to counter act that 71% of australias population are located in suburban areas or cities . But for the hell of giving some validation to the outback argument we'll reduce australias population to 17 million versus texas 27 million. Texas' last reported year on gun related murders was 699 which is actually lower than it has been in a few years. Australias was 296, not even half of that (note that this isnt excluding any outback crime because theres no statistic for that).

So comparable populations, not really comparable size

With every 100000 people in texas. 2.8 get murdered. With every 100000 people in australia 1.7 do. This is with Australias rate being pushed up by excluding any population outside of suburban or city areas too.

So yeah america is still pretty bad

MEATMAN likes this.
  3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you can look up the death rate for guns ( number killed by guns per 100,000 here y'know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
    most of the data is from 2011 to 2014

it's the collumn after the country, the second one.

so gun deaths per 1000,000 people

US : 10.54
    UK: 0.23
    NL: 0.58
    Greece: 1.52
    France: 2.83

it's funny when you look at the guns per 100 inhabitants and see that in Europe France and Greece have more guns than UK and Netherlands.

and the US has enough guns per 100 people... they can give a gun to a friend with 101.05 gund per 100 people... guns to americans are like bicycles to the Dutch.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Makes you wonder what kind of lunatic was the person who wrote the second amendment

5. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

6. Alakhami

shouldn't you compare the crime death rates in general? I mean after all, if there are less guns, then there should be more deaths via other means? As far as I'm concerned, Americans never claim that you get less deaths from guns -- they believe that with more guns there is less crime.
    Dunno, maybe the gun fetish is just a remnant from the Wild West times, lol.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

ugh that's this one
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

first country in Europe is Russia at 38th with 11.31 murders per 100 000 people
    though it is beaten by a bunch of US territories that they didnt bother putting in with the rest of the US. Lithuania is pretty murdery at 87th place with 5.98, US comes in at 94th with 4.88 and third european region with highest murder rate is Ukrain at 101 with 4.36

Netherlands has 0.61, Austria has 0.51
    Uk has 0.92

of course the rate can change from year to year. but the US is pretty stable.

8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mother-daughter-violent-shootout-armed-223039252.html

Good people with guns, stop bad people with guns. Now take away all the guns from the people that have a permit in this scenario, what do you guys think happens ? These women both either get killed, ***** then killed, or robbed successfully and the guy robs and 11th person and maybe kills them.

I'll take a legal trained gun owner any damn day of the week, also how many of these shooters have been NRA members ? It always seems like the media blames the NRA and trump but they had 0 impact on these shooters lives. The fault lies only with the person with the gun, not the guns themselves.

9. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

NRA gets the blame because its their fault that the US doesn't have stricter gun laws causing this Bane Shift to happen so frequently.

Also gun control does not=all guns get banned so again, not sure why you're acting like it does

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Super : "I want gun control"
    NRA: *buys politician to not do any gun control*
    politician: * does not do any gun control*
    Super: "Why are people blaming the NRA for no gun control?"

So super is dumb, or a liar.

11. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

12. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Have you bothered to categorize those numbers into any kind of context to humanize them? For example how many of those shootings were black on black crime? White on white? What city? state did these occur in? Raw numbers are worthless statistics that people can "mic drop" to virtue signal to this echo chamber called a forum. One thing that is never addressed with these raw statistics is that the amount of gun crime committed intensifies as a population becomes more concentrated and dense. Texas for example is a much more densely populated area when compared to a province in Canada where the population is more diluted and spread out. I would love to organize all the statistics I don't have access to the FBI site or any scholarly databases.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I don't
    I'm from the Netherlands so don't talk to me about population density like i'm supposed to shoot someone.

14. Alakhami

I'm pretty sure profhulk isn't extrapolating that causal relation on every country.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Geressen likes this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'm pretty profhulk sure
    that is the reason he brought it up.

16. Alakhami

Edited :D

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

aw, I liked it.

18. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

I am always amused by "your statistics are invalid because they don't support my world view, however saying that looks bad so I will say they are inaccurate"

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

weird that there isn't a playlist of last leg shooting in the US related things yet.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  20. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.time...gunman-took-an-uber-to-school-before-shooting

I hope this is a joke, how the Firk do you let a kid jump in your car, and he has bags filled with guns, and you drop him off at a god damn school.

Does nobody have an alarm go off anymore, kid taking an uber, kid going to a school, kid has loads of bags going to a school, can't imagine the bags were light, or that they weren't oddly shaped.

No red flags at all, no questions asked ? They haven't named the uber driver yet either.