Are racial bonuses counted towards "Boost, commander, defender, etc?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DiCEM0nEY, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I wouldn't say this is true.

What happened was the Maljaran block introduced entirely new races that had not existed before, and they were also designed together with the idea that they should be run together. This introduced to Pox the idea of a theme ability that is more encompassing of a theme as a whole and intended to be on all or a majority of the theme's champions. But again, my entire point of the post you quoted is that such abilities does not define or create a theme!

Before then, most themes developed more organically and it was rare to see entire expansions/cycles devoted to a single theme.

This all makes sense when you think about the early days of Pox when the FACTIONS themselves were basically a theme, and you played CIRCUS decks which comprised of any number of factions' runes.

But if you played with a FULL FACTION or SPLIT FACTION deck, you got the faction bonuses - which, within that context, are essentially the same thing as theme abilities if you think about it.

And then even prior to that, when there were no factions, people gravitated towards playing the Dwarves together and the Demons together - which is why the factions ideas were created in the first place - they were literally the first "themes!"

Additionally, some abilities keyed off race and mechanics even back then - Surge for example, is an extremely old ability, as are the Amplify: X series. Fire/Frost Decks were a thing since the start of the game really - and they certainly classify as a theme.

So, it's incorrect to say themes didn't exist til Maljaran. A specific IMPLEMENTATION of what a theme looks like was introduced then, but themes did exist before then.

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

This and more needs to be sayd to new players in a tutorial form, i've seen new player post's about complains or confusion which could have been prevented with pieces of information like this.

3. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Let's not talk about hero clix (MAGEKNIGHT IS BETTER!!!). I ran bloodangels 40K, and tau, I was young though.

I guess my thoughts are that it would actually enhance variety because the win conditions would be more defined. For example , playing say skeletons, you would always have trouble on maps with strong side fonts, playing spirits would have trouble on maps with no choke points, fire would have a disadvantage on non fire maps etc etc.

The new player experience would definitely be enhanced. First, it is easier to learn to play if you collect a specific theme. You learn how the game works as a whole, and the specifics of your theme. Second, it is easier to collect themes, thanks to (revamped) presets.

I think player creativity will come from nuances. For example, running soul cage in a skeleton deck for a certain unexpected play, or a hoarfrost dragon to counter an St meta.

In terms of fun factor, that game we played earlier yesterday (vampire versus hyaneid) was Firking great lol. Gg, and def you outplayed me there lol.

4. Sokolov

I think you are definitely right about this. Pox started as a tactical collectible game that resembles tabletop, but was not originally that way. And while I have moved away from it, many of the early runes decidedly has a "card game" flavor more so than a "table top" flavor. The nature of many spells in particular really break the tactical/tabletop aspect of the game.

It's likely that, if I am in charge of a new tactical game at DOG, that it'd likely be much more on the tabletop end of the spectrum.

But again tho, keep in mind factions WERE the original themes, from this perspective, and ranked ladder does restrict to factions/split factions. But as the scope/scale of the game increased, now factions have "themes" inside of them, which if factions are themes, then these are sub-themes :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    limone1981 likes this.
  5. Sokolov

It's pretty funny, because this quite closely mirrors the original discussions around creating factions in the first place.

Tweek516 likes this.
  6. DiCEM0nEY

I think that runes will have to be developed to fit thematically with emphasis on abilities which scale exponentially with a few exceptions. The reason is that the actual faction bonus will drown out some of the reasons to play a theme a particular way.

For instance, arroyo. They are a split theme which scale currently off of dmz efficency, surge, relics, spells (whisper of veil), and their bonuses (both bonuses require death to gain an effect.) You can make a spirit deck in Fw, but you are likely to only want a select few runes (shadestriker with surge, aaryo rift lord for dmz etc.). If you play Sp, you are going too see shade striker as an elemental, and maybe some special Sp runes that scale with the elemental side of aaryo, peaks dew for example.

This is why the skeleton theme will need to change eventually Imo, they have very few binding mechanics. For example, when skeleton Minotaur comes out, I'm going to almost have to split any skeleton deck. Because there are strictly disadvantages of not doing so (this is more just to illustrate a point, I am definitely exaggerating. I am not the go to source on all things skeleton, although I do have alot of knowledge about the theme).

So, I'll most likely run 2 X demonologists, 2X stitched skeleforms, 2 X skeletal Minotaur's, 2X tomb lords, 2X blackblsde barons, and spells . Because, they will be able out perform any full faction deck and keep core scaling mechanics (the only four fw surge champs, bone mines, and a relic or two other) while also giving all their units +damage from ud (dark rising would do an extra ~6-10 damage with the bonus alone).

This is just to illustrate the point that when a race has few binding mechanics available, the theme will tend to be split. I know this is a bad example, simply because an ud fw split probably doesn't have enough good skeleton runes to work, and xulous is actually pretty strong with 16 drain. Just an example to illustrate how a weak bonus synergy (skeletons in fw) and a weak thematic mechanics (skeletons, Cyclops) causes the units to gravitate towards one particular play style. If we look back at the arroyo theme, there are clear strengths and weaknesses of each play style, ff, fw, or split. All are somewhat unique, with clear strengths and weaknesses.

7. DiCEM0nEY

@Sokolov

Also, I see no reason to say that pox Nora can t be based around tabletop more than card (you said a new game). Releasing lims such as boghopper zombie would be a start. Modifying spells to have telegraphed effects would be another way. The shuffle system adds depth to the table top game, but there are other parts which only serve to add strong rng factors. I'm not bitter, and I find the game fun , but I wouldn't be opposed to a more table top focus personally. It was at its heart probably modeled after the table top game Mage knight. Not hero clix. Mage knight.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/262796433381?...18&_trksid=p2141725.c100337.m3725&_mwBanner=1

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. Sokolov

I have no idea what you are saying.

SPiEkY, Etherielin and Tweek516 like this.
  9. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Its okay nobody does

SPiEkY and Etherielin like this.
  10. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

First off... Cyclops do have a thematic passive "cyclopean machine". Siblings is an awesome theme that could just use more development...i suggested some ideas in my guide for cyclops.

I love synergies, the more the marrier. For example wiches have a thematic passive(coven), spell( whiching hour) relic, equip...ect...ect... And the more of these we have the better. Imo

Tweek516, DiCEM0nEY and themacca like this.
  11. DiCEM0nEY

It's likely that, if I am in charge of a new tactical game at DOG, that it'd likely be much more on the tabletop end of the spectrum.

12. DiCEM0nEY

I only play skeletons for the record

13. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

thats not true at all

14. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

Clops lacks all that stuff that makes Witches a theme, as you stated they have a passive ability a spell and a relic, clops have only 2 equip (1 the eye belt and the mammoth club that is not even specific for them) and a relic for just 4 champions. If at one point we will have even a spell designed for them I will be happy.
    Looking at the old,original poxnora races, you can see how kf elf, ud demon, st jakei, Fs boghopper, FW undead, SL draksar or Skeez and Is dwarf have at least one rune designed specifically for that race(a spell or an ability), and they are the original one . Cyclops are the only one without something (maybe with the jakei if we don't consider the ice/artic theme ).

Edit: also the cyclopean machine ability touch again only 4 cyclops rune: warcart,symbiote, warsmith and the other thinker one, what about all the other?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  15. DiCEM0nEY

Was referring to don't hold me responsible for details about Cyclops, although I probably have under 20 games with other themes, the rest being skeletons. Main reason being I lack runes to make competitive decks.

16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I wouldn't refer to Cyclops as one of the original poxnora races. G'hern and Moga had more champs to start, and in following expansions Voil quickly out paced Cyclops. I think of Cyclops as a theme in a similar vein to Firk. There were Firk at the beginning, but it took a while before they became a theme in their own right.

17. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

at least Firk have the psy thing...clops not even the faction dmg type:just 2 electric dmg champions: stormcaller and shaman.(i'm not considering Zeventrech cos he is split)

18. DiCEM0nEY

They also have cyclops youth. They probably should change surge behemeoth to surge cyclops, or add a new ability all together (... they have one eye ffs, give them a lower range when not grouped with other cyclops or something unique). Skeletons suffer the same problem though, I definetly know where u are coming from. Alot of themes do actually. I think im going to switch to spirits :)