Are these units as good as I think they are?

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Tubesox, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Tubesox

Tubesox The King of Potatoes

As title, and expanding on the drunk dwarf bg. Welcoming comment/observation from more experienced folks.

Brewmaster
    Battle matron
    Hooligan (personal fav)
    Iron fist minister
    Treasure hunter
    Samirian noble

I know there are other awesome dwarves, mostly looking for commentary or pro/cons for those listed

panthersfan95 likes this.
  2. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Brewmaster is frequently overrated. It also causes people to lose a lot of games because they sink added nora into him to try to keep him alive / thirst going. I wouldn't play it in any IS deck.

Others all look pretty good though.

3. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Yes these are great units. Problem with dwarfs are that they aint soooo much better then the others, so its darned hard to pick the 15-18 dwarfs you want to run. If you use discord both me and @Markoth did post our latest dwarf decks, they aint drunk focused more pvp focused.
    brewmaster is maybe a bit "weak" but he got a buff with nora cost in the PS4 patch so he is cheaper now. Or well not weak, but can only have so many physical melee units in this game.

Train to use dwarf beermaiden alot, hmm noticed you didnt even had her with the list?
    she is awesome
    Give out beers always, if you get someone stunned,poisoned etc that you need to cleanse, run in with her, use shatter and replace the beer, and the dwarf is cleansed & enraged.
    so she has 3 uses
    - trigger drunkard + give out regen 2 beer, unless you got a Poxtober Beermaiden, then she gives out Tough 1 beers instead.
    - Cleanse, she cleanses when she gives out beer
    - trigger enrage, use shatter before you are going to attack with your noble/ranged unit, then give them a new beer and see their dmg pump up.
    she has alot of HP and regen 2, so she can def go into the front take 3-4 hits go back regen up, use her as an annoying blocker so they cant dmg your units.

Brewmaster
    + can be a monster with thirst for the battle and firebomb3
    - we got more versatile/cheaper physical melee champs

Battle Matron
    + drive, heals, cleanse are very good
    + Drive on newly deployed unit so they get +1AP for next turn instead of starting at 0AP, beers heal up those few hp she does with drive.
    - Inspire is annoying as hell, try to avoid use it to create superdwarf though, spread out with ranged units as priority, ethereal priestess, pontiffs, sharpshooters, all those that are a bit weak normally but with 1 inspire + drive its +4dmg
    - Wish she had more spd.

Dwarf Hooligan
    + OP ranged unit, can be run in a few different ways, but remember to attack lasts if you run him with encouraged even if you got sunder on him.
    + Keg Toss, both a dmg and buff, crazy powerful with semmiran noble, hit both your dwarfs and the enemy and watch Semmiran go 30+dmg and gain alot of AP

Ironfist Minister
    + You run 2, use drums as much as possible, sure it might not be perfect time this turn, but use it anyway if you can attack or get that extra AP to move in position.
    + Magical attack range 1-3, its both a + and -, in a drunk deck its def a +. just watch out for all magic immune/eaters, bring a holy sword of valdac for him or north cross cardinal to stop enemy healing and have fire dmg as an option.
    + so many different ways to run him, dont hesitate to have 6+ ministers in your rune manager with different builds

Treasure Hunter
    + Camaradier is saving nora when you deploy, get him out asap.
    + Detection is kinda rare with dwarfs, use him with a beer
    + so cheap, but physical melee, so wouldnt really recommend running 2 unless you need more physical melee...

Semmiran Noble
    + Silly hardhitting, he def needs a nerf, but until then use him
    + Awestruck 2 is very very powerful, combined with gravity flux he can really win the game for you easy.
    + expect him to be hit with doom, vertical push, drown, all the killer spells in the game, so run him cheap, be ready to lose him any second because he is that spell target that saves your other units. do not play your game around him :)

4. Hierokliff

Dwarf units that you should test
    Kingmaker (i run with relocate+blockade, think most are using blockade+bubble, bubble is very good, but i like that little extra mobility)
    North Cross Cardinal (sermon + mass heal if you are using other class then paladin,priests,shamans)
    Prismatic Wing (very good melee with electric dmg, lightning skewer + bane blast is horrible OP)
    Dwarfen King (84nora and he is still very good, also he attracts alot of death spells so semmiran noble dont have to die all the time)
    Euan Ironfist (heals 9hp / turn and cleanses with a beer and trail: hallowed ground)
    Pontiff of Al'mara (6 range, distracts, sets defense to 0, super good ranged champ)
    Ethereal Priestess (use stall and soften the enemies, stall after an earthquake or when they got 0AP is like a free stun)
    Elemental warstaff (remove shielded for scry)
    Master axeman (crazy efficient melee rune with provision:defense, if you think brewmasters are to nora costly)

North cross cardinal + beer + warbanner gives all of your units 15hp max, which makes some of them really powerful for their cost. deploy cardinal kinda late though since he is a bit weak unless you need magical dmg.
    If you dont mind using "bug" runes, the Deep Miner gives old nora per turn instead of new, so 9 nora instead of 6 nora, making her very efficient, that and ability to make small tunnels, so if your enemy deploys seism units these small free mines takes the damage instead of your warbanner...

5. Tubesox

Good info here, I just saw you have some videos on YouTube. My bg is almost identical to yours. Thanks for the input. Gave me some ideas to play around with over the weekend

6. Hierokliff

Now I try to avoid alter my deck daily, but i admit i got a bunch of them. but the vids are mostly from the same dwarf deck that ive been playing the last weeks with a few small changes here and there. some days there are just tons of stealths so unobsctructed view + dwarfen magister (he is adaptive) was a nice combo, i love dwarf magister, teleport, adaptive, magic and fire damage. I dont spell spam, but i use spells so having an adaptive unit out early that can go out on the sides or just teleport around and drop relics then get relocated back by a kingmaker. and for each spell he gets more dmg and more hp, useally though he gets maybe 3-4 extra dmg through a game. Prismatic wing works real nice also as a mobile unit, its those 2 i got for it, on some maps i wish i had 2 more that are as mobile.

Working on a IS holy deck atm, I think its stronger then the dwarfs, but wanted to see if dwarfs are good. and I think they are ok. but probably 4th place in IS, meta,holy,barbarian then dwarfs. But they are dwarfs, and they are fun, and with 80+ dwarf champs the possibilities are so many, so maybe they are more powerful then barbarians. but bastion,plainswalker,terraformers are so good.

7. Tubesox

Holy? Is that paladin/priest with the branded effect? I've got a bg I'm messing around with using that kind of theme too.

8. Hierokliff

yeah paladin,priest,shaman, read markoths sticky thread in this forum, he updates it often.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Thanks for reminding me I will do some work on it tonight.

Tubesox and Hierokliff like this.
  10. Tubesox

Big help, you guys. It is appreciated.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yes, no, yes, yes, yes, yes