Are they Legal reasons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gnomes, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Or why is sok not allowed to tell us what the big thing is happening later this year?
    many companies dont tell you when or what they are working on, and i was just curious why they do this. is it because you dont want competition to know?
    is it because you dont want to be jinxed?
    is it because legally if you say something is coming and then it does not because of unrelated reasons you can be sued?
    just wondering what idea behind not telling the player base is for (not just for pox but all games) can someone enlighten me?

@Sokolov

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

In this case, it's because Sony wants to announce it on their own terms, so we are prohibited from doing so until they are ready.

But yea, it's usually a contract/legal thing that was agreed upon.

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Perhaps DOG hired them to redo the Poxnora base code from the ground up, and they want to announce it on their own because they secretly love us and want to make up for the poor treatment.

Tweek516 and super71 like this.
  4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Sony Online Entertainment. Pretty sure were talking about the same company. Could be wrong though.

Edit: They're Daybreak now, nvm.

5. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Most likely a NDA between the companies which extends to the company's employees.

I mean, Sok might actively try to circumvent it in order to give us something to look forward to but there is only so much he can say without breaking it.

Either way, the way the winds blow makes it seem like it will happen soon enough so ya'll be patient as I'm sure plenty will be up for discussion. I for one am glad there is some job security for the DOG staff and that they will continue to make Pox thrive hopefully with far more resources at hand.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  6. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

My question is more general. Why are there non discloser agreemeants for the future of a virtual game? Is it to not allow competition to grab the idea or not to say somthing is comming only for it to be halted?...ect?

7. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Because it's applied to anything they may deem confidential. This may be business practices, strategies or sheer amounts of information, among others.

This seems to be an one-sided NDA because Sok keeps saying it's up to the other party to reveal what's to come. What the NDA covers or doesn't is something only the parties involved know. So it's not that they don't want to relay certain types of information, they just can't if it's part of the agreement.

8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Really guys, involving sony a good idea ? I mean it turned out great the first time right, what's the worst that could happen? It will work for a year or heck maybe even 2 but eventually everything free to play will be eliminated from the game.

9. Tryo

Tryo The King of Potatoes

Announcing Pox 2.0 = People stop paying for Pox 1.0

10. super71

Are you sure involving money hungry Sony is a good idea ? I mean involving soe before turned out great right, and wasn't soe owned by Sony ? Interesting idea joining up with the Same parent company that ran the game into the shitter.

11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

A plat-former staring a Boghopper Tad perhaps?

12. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Ideally runes would carry over, and it would just be running on a new game engine with a UI update.

13. Sokolov

First, it's not really that kind of relationship. In fact, once we can announce it'll make a ton of sense and it's something lots of companies do.

Second, there were a number of good things under SOE - they spent a ton of money on Pox whether you people acknowledge or recognize it or not. I know it's fun to hate on SOE or whatever because it's what gamers do, but the reality is that Pox probably wouldn't be a lot different either way, and I am willing to bet you can't be very specific about your criticisms of SOE and what you do have is probably based on assumptions and not necessarily true.

Third, Sony is not the same as SOE in any way.

soulmilk, Qucas and JellyBerry like this.
  14. Tarabostes

Tarabostes I need me some PIE!

Basically this. The Osborne effect. Releasing more than necessary news about a new product would cause people to stop buying the old one. Small bits of info and rumors is what keeps people curious and hyped.

15. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Playing as serkan in an MMO would be badass as Firk.

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Today I learned something new.

17. oyo97

oyo97 I need me some PIE!

Pox Moba with Geekal as a hyper carry <3

18. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Coragh = Sion

19. super71

What gamers do, because they are the ones that keep companies running without your "gamers" Sony wouldn't be doing too hot. Ask any "gamer" what they think Sony is about, and they will tell you Sony buys small game companies chews them up and spits them out when they don't reach company goals.

Honestly I hope pox succeeds but with you running the show it will never happen, you got a big ego man and it shows every time you post.

Either way I don't care won't dump another cent into pox while you run the show, hopefully gedden gives you the boot before we see the past repeat itself.

20. Sokolov

In terms of gamers, we (I am one too) are certainly entitled to our opinions, but as someone who has been on both sides of the fence, I know that often we as gamers are not working with all the information and may not always be in a position to understand why decisions are made. It doesn't mean players aren't right sometimes, but it does mean sometimes they are wrong.

I actually only run the design side of things, so in terms of business stuff like this with Sony, it's not really my doing one way or another, though I don't have an issue with this arrangement. I personally prefer to just design the stuff :)

In regards to success, I will point out whenever someone says something like "I hope Pox succeeds" that in reality, this product has succeeded. At this point in a game's life cycle, the game has achieved numerous milestones that can be considered the hallmarks of a successful product. Has it reached the level of success of games like League of Legends? Of course not, but that's a pretty outlier (and they were ventured back, not garage produced).

It's certainly true Pox is on the decline. Do we at DOG hope to see Pox continue for many more years? Absolutely, and we continue to work on the game and see what we can do.

As for ego, maybe it's true, though in my opinion it seems more of an ego to assume you know better even when it's clear you do not have all the information. Either way though, I am mostly posting here to answer questions and allay misinformation.

Lastly, in regards to the Sony partnership, as I said, it's not an acquisition or anything, and it'll make much more sense when we can announce it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Gnomes likes this.