Are we at a design stage where all factions get everything?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GemmaXylia, May 20, 2015.

1. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

once upon a time the factions in poxnora used to be vastly different in terms of feel and play style. They'd be strong in areas and weak in others.

For example UD lacked cleanse, but had sac/ret instead, little range with big beaters and demon shield.

KF had cleanse and heals, high range and mobility..

Etc etc.. But now UD has cleanse and range, KF has tanks and beaters.. Everything is more.. "Grey" varying shades of the same.

If it is the case that factions all need access to key things.. Can KF get a useable summon counter? We used to have sever but no longer. No swarm, none of the new anti summon abilities, just the worst spell of the expansion? Not useful.

Do other factions feel they lack a key feature that is splashed for everyone else? Like shatter or detection etc? Should factions feel like they lack certain things, because they make up for it in others?

Markus422 and mortal ix like this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

FW still feels totally different from every other faction. Hard time speaking for anything else. Protectorate always felt a bit more same-y than Wrath, probably because they are closer allies.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I dont even know what SL was about. What were its unique features? did it even maintain through the years?
    Self-suficient melee tank/beaters with buffing support maybe, contrary to IS which are Self-buffing melee tank/beater with healing support.

4. 15Deadmen

15Deadmen The King of Potatoes

It's like that because the grass is greener on the other side.

voodoochile likes this.
  5. 15Deadmen

15Deadmen The King of Potatoes

hard af to kill and power turns.

mortal ix and Morfeas like this.
  6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

No nora gen, burly mid- to high-cost melee units, expensive but powerful spells. Minimal utility in either champ or spell form (no longer true). Strong all-around stats, with respectable damage, moderate speed, good defense, and good HP. Lighter on ranged options, but still the second best in Wrath. That's how I always thought of them at any rate -- these hefty, expensive, and somewhat narrow units, but disciplined and capable.

claydude5 and Kampel like this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

As long as UD doesn't get spot cleanse idgaf who gets what. F U, UD.

JellyBerry and kalasle like this.
  8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Whether or not this is Baskitkase Bitter Antagonismâ„¢, I agree.

I'm still mad Soulreaver exists.

DarkJello and JellyBerry like this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Your TM has a clever rating of negative over 9000.

10. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

but don't we have purefire and demon lich already? those count right?

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I heard factions were homogenized during the Drums of War expansion.

darklord48 likes this.
  12. Kampel

If i remember correclty the base foundations for each faction were:

IS: Self buffing melee tank/beaters with healing support. oriented to unit preservation alternatives and defensive stances.
    SL: Self healing melee tank/beaters with buffing support. oriented to fire/acid alternatives and agressive stances.
    FW: Light recyclable/dispachable units with debuffing support. oriented to attrition alternatives and counter strategy stances.
    UD: Heavy hitting melee recyclable units with tricky support. oriented to fire based alternatives and rushing stances.
    KF: Light speedy long range units with healing/evasive support. oriented to mobility manipulation and rushing stances.
    SP: Light recyclable or big hitters with debuffing support. oriented to outnumber and outbuffing with agressive stances.
    FS: Light mobility units with terrain and debuffing support. oriented to outnumber and outhealing using turtling stances.
    ST: High HP pool units and long range with healing and terrain support. oriented to debuffing and outlive the enemy with agressive stances.

Im not sure if this is correct

***Edited with DMrBadguy info.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Paladin, darklord48 and hfok like this.
  13. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

First, i think Naturalize is good and will see much use down the line.

Grimlics Bane is good vs Summons

14. nynevening

nynevening Member

Sundered Lands should have hugely priced dragons almost unkillable with insane HP and regen, flight, breath habilities, 20 damage and stuff like that...
    Like... they only deploy half the ammount of champz but the ones they deploy really mean something.

15. nynevening

nynevening Member

Not if they had a resistance ou defence against debuffs. I mean, they are dragons, have you ever played DND?
    I wish I was one of the game devs, would put my 20 years as Dungeon Master to good use.

16. Kampel

Basically what leoss are?

Imo when they introduced the skywings they relieved and completed the Dragon theme and expanded SL to the skys, a good design decision,

17. Kampel

If anything, dragons could use a big fat one that could work like:
    [​IMG]
    that buffs smaller ones and enables Valdac to fill other role.

So far a dragon bg doesnt really work without the big dragons, because it works like moga, small annoying ones and big ones with surge which are autoincludes so any new little dragon would compete for the same space in the bg BUT IF we had this "Carrier" type dragon then we would be able to build a little dragon bg without rellying in the surge mechanic

18. nynevening

nynevening Member

What if they were all shielded? They are dragons man, wake up!
    They have the magic of wizards, the power of priests, the endurance of fighters, the ferocity of barbarians... THEY ARE FIRKING DRAGONS!!!
    show some respect to the second most powerful creature in the universe!

19. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

*spits*

filthy xenos scum

Kampel likes this.
  20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

FS still has no cleanse or in-theme detection. Unless you count flycatcher as being in a theme and not just as being bad