artifact/mechanical faction neutral race

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by ktm, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ktm

ktm Member

now faction neutral means that the RACE itself is faction neutral, with specific runes belonging to specific factions, either as an exploration, or because there is no governing organisation and members wander to whatever faction that they feel comfortable with.... up for debate/discussion.

pretty much a copy/paste of a suggestion i made to gedden in the "greenies" thread.

i am an old MtG player (casual player but really enjoyed), and one theme really struck me as interesting and enjoyable, the artifact creatures and equipment decks. i would LOVE to see a similar theme here in pox.

i am picturing an ancient race of mechanical sentients, whose origin is lost to the histories, awakening in modern times. as a faction neutral race there could be many types of them across all factions.
    they would be "template" character runes, fairly bland descriptions, whose real ability would manifest when equipped with (thier race specific) artifact equipment. and each member of the race would gain a different ability from the same equipment.

lets call them... the 'Althen' (up to debate :D )

unit examples:
    Althen soldier- dual faction ironfist/sundered lands. a simple mechanical soldier.
    Althen skyreaver- Dual faction shattered peaks/ironfist, a fast attack heavy flying unit.
    Althen Deathwatcher- single faction forsaken wastes, an engery draining unit with aoe
    Althen heavy environmental probe- dual faction savage tundra/forglar swamp. a stealth unit, hit and run unit.

equipment examples:
    Althen supercharger- when equipped on skyreaver increases speed by 1 and +2 to damage, when equipped on soldier increase damage by 3 and hp by 1 etc.
    Althen weapons upgrade- when equipped on soldier increase range by 1 and chance to stun, when equipped on skyreaver single unit attacks gain a small aoe at 50% damage, on environmental probe provide chance to stun and a small DoT.

2. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I like this... I like this a lot me being a MtG player when I first started playing pox the constructs reminded me of the artifact creatures to a degree

3. ktm

ktm Member

i miss my myx deck :(

4. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

equipment examples are bad with all the "chances" and "randomness".

for a keyword ability to retain its neutrality, maybe
    "Neutral/Factionless - Does not get affected by Faction Bonuses, nor any effects that retains to a specific Faction. This unit is Factionless".

but MtG artifact creatures can really be a race in Pox. Although the problem resides in...

(1) Constructs are already in IS, making it redundant to play if not boosted by Dorf Engineers. If I'm playing this Althens, I'll be splitting with IS to abuse this helluva theme that is basically an extension to constructs.

(2) If you were to put Althens in every faction like Doombringers/Harbringers, there should be a change of coding that places these Althens to not be restricted to any Faction 15-15/30-0 rules. This privilige of being a Factionless champion should come from an ability....Which is again, very complicated, and should be avoided. I'd rather have DOGz member/programmers to focus on the current problems (which are a good 35% of the game is problematic/broken).

(3) What I can see is Elementals getting the same treatment rather than Constructs (an already established racial theme). Elemental Fortitude on the more-expensive elementals, and other things on the less-expensive elementals. Elementals might be abused by ST and UD, HOWEVER...

ST Endless Devotion needs Jakei, meaning you would have to reconfigure the whole strategy since your Elemental lords will not benefit Jakeis

UD Bunny Lord will offer Cama, others will offer Ele Zephyr. but that's about it. Most of them are Atk:Fire, and Amp Fire champs making it redundant to play diff theme. The only splashable ones is Bunny Lord. and perhaps Cinderpede.

5. ktm

ktm Member

1- there not nesessarily be any possible exploit. race-artifact or race-mechanical or race-althen can be seperate from race-construct. while there can and will be similarities, there can be a very defined line that can easily be avoided.
    2- my idea is not that the individual runes be factionless, rather the race as a whole owes no one faction an allegiance. each INDIVIDUAL rune can/will be designed to fit in a specific faction. see my above examples, the soldier is ironfist/sundered lands, the deathwatcher is forsaken. so again the champions themselves would not be factionless, so there would not be any need for a factionless ability and there would be no impacting on 15-15/30-0 decks. they would stay the same and follow the same rules.
    while i do personally prefer the idea of a factionless race, and all the individual runes belonging to no particular faction, i understood the difficulties and issues that might arise so i avoided it by focusing on RACIAL neutrality, but CHAMPION allegiances
    3- the forum section is devoted to rune ideas and suggestions, and while your idea does have merit, it no way negates mine. there is nothing wrong with me proposing an idea/theme that i am interested in. i am not interested in an elemental theme.... hence why i did not suggest one :D. besides my suggested theme does not do anything for your elementals. my suggestion is to create a new race, scattered through all the various factions.... and as far as i am aware all factions (most?) already have an elemental representative... so the elementals are already doing what i am suggesting

4- i really do appreciate your feedback though. it helped me solidify my intended suggestion and helped clarify a few things that might be misunderstood in my first post. thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. lungz421

lungz421 Member

even just Class: Mercenary would work out and add 'reason' for putting races mostly specific to one faction into another... possibly something to look into for the 'The Ronin'. I'm gunna come up with some examples real quick

7. lungz421

lungz421 Member

Jakei Marine

Faction: FS or ST/FS

Art: A jakei swimming or wading through the swamps of Forglar with the ease that his people move through the snow

Flavor Text: "the Jakei learned quickly that they could master all water terrain, not just the frozen kind" or something about finding Gekal if hes still missing

Race: Jakei Class: Mercenary* Size: Small Rarity: Rare or Exo Nora Cost: 68-74 depending on rarity? (im no good with nora cost, so open to input)

Dmg: 11 Spd: 6 Rng: 1-1 Def: 2 HP: 54

Abilities:
    Attack: Physical
    Amphibious
    Arctic
    Nohkan Do 1
    Flanking
    Battle Leader
    (if they do a 'Heroes Found' angle, and they find Gekal, maybe have him reveal Gekal when he comes into play or reduce Gekals cooldown by 'X' if hes on cooldown)

Upgrades:
    Nohkan Do 2
    Domain: Water
    Hidden: Water
    Leap 3

Shadesworn Cyclops

Faction:
    UD or UD/SP

Art: A Cyclops with reddish/black whisps floating off of it, and glowing red eyes, spittle flies from its maw as it rages forward with a fiery club

Flavor Text: "I always thought they were worthless and stupid, turns out they were only stupid."

Race: Cyclops/Demon Class: Mercenary Size: Large Rarity: Rare or Exo Nora Cost: 78-84 (again im no good with nora costs...)

Dmg: 16 Spd: 5 Rng:1-2 Def: 3 Hp: 62

Ablities:
    Attack: Fire
    Fire Eater
    Berzerker 2
    Flaming Charge: Same as Charge 2 or 3 but leaves a trail of lava or fire in its wake
    Power Attack 1

Upgrades:
    Tremor
    Berzerk 3
    Power Attack 2
    HP 3

OR a factionless champion

Adaptive Beast (idk)

Faction: None (useable in any, not like the harbs, doomballs or renos where they are in each faction, but like an artifact)

Race: Beast Class: None Size: Small Rarity:??? Nora Cost: 80ish?

Dmg: 14 Spd: 6 Rng: 1-3 Def: 2 Hp: 50

Abilities:

Attack: Terrain (Physical for Rock, Poison for Water, Frost for Ice, Fire for Lava, Acid for Sand, Magic for Grass, Holy for Consecrated, Electric for Stone?)
    Adaptation
    Solo: Calcify?
    Rover: Mirrored?
    Chasm Walker
    Amphibious
    Arctic
    Evasive 2

Upgrades:
    Evasive 3
    Hp 2
    Def 2
    ??????

idk it may be hard to code a factionless champ forthe purpose of FF/SF Bgs... but itd be kool... but then amphibious and arctic are kind of required on it at least as upgrades....