As far as getting a bigger playerbase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rickyjpen, Jan 13, 2015.

1. rickyjpen

rickyjpen Devotee of the Blood Owl

I went on to steam to look at some stuff and decided I'd look at what the reviews of poxnora were on there.... I saw alot complexity complaints which is understandable.

But what really caught my eye was that half the negative comments were based on the fact that nobody could get through the tutorial... For more than a few reasons in fact I have had the same exact problems that they have been having.

So I have an alternate account that I have had since before Desert Owl even took over for poxnora and now like 3 days ago suddenly I have the tutorial pop up... So ya know I tried every possible way to skip it I could think of but it wouldn't let me so I went for it and tried it out.... Some of the commands are extremely unclear like the fact that you have to click the nora font in one part of the tutorial all it shows for a tip is a left click icon... Aside from that though I had a bug that said I needed to capture a font I had already captured to start out in the first part of the tutorial... Couldn't get passed the bug so I closed my client tried again got passed it. And then I had 2 times the same exact bug hit where it didn't register on the 3rd part of the tutorial where I finished a task and it didn't register... I have spent at least 5 hours trying to complete this tutorial but bugs and unexplained situations completely wore me out I'm actually in the middle of a break from poxnora solely because of that since this alt account is now my main.

Overall the tutorial does not attract how amazing poxnora is in general... Sure it teaches you a bit but it makes you hate it at the same exact time... If I were a new player trying this game out... Bugs aside the tutorial makes the game feel horrible... The overall un-explained tasks you need to complete like clicking on a nora font before you can end your turn and overall how long it actually takes, and the fact that you can't skip it.... I was told you could skip it by hitting the pause menu and looking around... I don't know if it was a bug that wasn't allowing me to skip but I definitely tried for at least 20 mins to skip it and couldn't

In general the game has a steep learning curve to start... We don't want half the people that might be willing to endure that get scared off by this crumby tutorial it needs a rework and HEAVILY needs bug fixes. I mean rework is one thing.... But I can't express enough of how badly it needs those bugs fixed.... Its dreadful

2. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

The thing is with poxnora they have so many things on right now.
    Can't tell since I was away for 1 and half year but I think it's been a year since we haven't go an expansion and they've been working really hard on it.
    Also legendary forgable is a big step not for new players but for those who actually never had a chance to have good legendaries on their bg. That's me. I mean getting the game out of the P2W concept is important since that's why would people pay more.
    The new map, idk how much time it takes to make one but who really knows well.
    They have some bug fixes withing Ronin and I also think some balance as well so just wait till 20th and then complain. Some campaigns do not work smoothly as well. I can't beat angels descend for example. Finished the regular campaigns, will have to test malijaran ones.

Now senshu has to check every player to reward the holiday packs.

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

*drumroll please*

*SHOCKER*

If only someone has made repeated threads about this. If only DOG could man up and admit to a mistake that costing them a load of revenue. Easily keeping a large number of players locked out.

Oh and launching PoxNora on steam is still bugged to launch. Just a heads up, if you ever feel like getting more players.

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

rickyjen Ty for your post you contribute largely to the benefit of poxnora with it continue to post soldier this community needs it... desperately

5. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

i have played pox for 9 years and tried to do the tutorial on my mac and couldn't do it...it also took me a while to work out how to cancel the tutorial, this does need to be addressed as for new players it will just turn them away to try something else.

6. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Is this one of your several mod applications?

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If you care for this community, you'll leave it alone. You're the hero we deserve, but don't need. Come back next year.

8. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Who's alt is GL anyway?

9. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I would have a lot of suggestions to make about how to attract new players to the game and i was planning to make a post but for now, two things really stand out to me.

When i installed the game on steam it would not launch, turned out a lot of people had the same issue and the only fix i could find was one posted by a dev (can't remember who) which didn't work. Despite a lot of people responding that the fix did not work the dev insisted that it did work. I can only imagine the amount of people who just didn't bother trying to play the game after that.

Secondly, the tutorial is long and boring. This coupled with the steep learning curve and a lot of unforgiving experienced players makes it a pretty unwelcoming environment for new players.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Roger friggin Road

11. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

When i started pox.
    I was given a handful of random fw runes by my mate.

And... Got slaughtered.

But it was fun. I remember the mistakes oh the mistakes.

The whole thing is, no matter what there is a learning curve.
    Tutorial, When that popped up.
    I tried it for the gold... Went oh hell no instantly.

First of all, it isolates you.
    When i begun pox. I was headfirst into community playing new players.

Fair to say, did i care to comment about balance and stuff back then? No.
    I didn't mind, because there was always something else up your sleeve that you could do to kill it and the fact that i was new and knew little of pox.

Many years later, i'm here. Pox will always make you start of crawling...
    But the tutorial makes you crawl in the dark.

A much better way would have been that new players could be automatically put into a guild for new players if they chose too. Would have been simple and allowed them to get tutored by elder players.

So, make a guild for new people who join pox or use PA and just let them tick tbe option to automatically be put into that guild (to save them wondering how to) and let them learn of eachoter and elder players.

It might just be me, but i see pox as a learn by experience.

Another option is let guilds enrol to be listed to new players with a short description.

I think they should focus on peer involvement.

12. Toyon

Toyon New Member

The tutorial is terrible imo (no offense^^).
    If I wouldnt have been bored by all other games I own that day I would have probably quit playing pox before I even started.
    The fact that most functionality is not just deactivated but hidden makes it even worse, because many ppl want to get a quick overview what modes and tools a game offers even if they are not yet able to use them nor fully understand them.
    Didnt have any bugs in the tutorial though as far as I remember.

Glad I didnt quit that day though :)

cheers

13. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I'm still waiting for pox (steam) to be available for mac its been over 2-3 month and still have not gotten the steam lim
    I really hope that DOG fixes all these bugs regarding tutorials before attending the pax convention so when they do get new people to play pox they won't want to run away like our steam players
    @Moles

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  14. rickyjpen

ty for the feedback guys :)

15. rickyjpen

and my alt is Elusinator if that question was directed to me. I'm trying to start fresh haha.