Back to pox, thoughts on my Spider BG

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by FTCDominique, Sep 14, 2016.

1. FTCDominique

FTCDominique New Member

Hello everyone I haven't play in years, and picked up pox back up so i can quit blowing money at the bar so much haha, but Spiders and stitched have always been themes I liked alot and made a BG for both. Still working on stitched currently. Was looking for thoughts and tips about this bg I made for my spiders though. Thanks

https://poxbase.com/deck/c5MCw=Cv2C8Kc3VCfXCuTCfBcgycqys5zs8fS1FSOS1lrArFr20e1UEN

2. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

boundless enthusiasm is what you need. lots of 2x2 high damage dealers. pounce is deadly.

yuore likes this.
  3. FTCDominique

FTCDominique New Member

@IronStylus thanks for the imput, never heard of that rune before. What is homing sense though, and since I have a decent amount of 2x2 champs should I run 2?

4. IronStylus

well, the fun part about this game is figuring out what is the best for your playstyle and adapting the bg to the opponents you face. but boundless enthusiasm is a spell I would run x1 in most UD bgs, especially when you have 2x2 units. homing sense: This champion has Mobility. At the beginning of its turns, if it it not Stunned or Paralyzed, this champion is relocated to the closest enemy champion within 5 spaces.

5. FTCDominique

FTCDominique New Member

oh nice nice thanks for that @IronStylus , I decided to take out one demon shield for it since I typically run only 1 at a time, and for it Boundless low nora, the cool down shouldn't be so bad just running 1x of it. I'm having a hard time if I want to add another void spider in place of a demonic claw or a nightfall. I like claws for harassing my enemies, and nightfall can stealth my other champs. all trial and error haha

6. yuore

yuore The King of Potatoes

boundless enthusiasm is great

7. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Trial and error is a great way to learn this game.

UD has had quite a bit of nice stuff over the last few years to give options. In a spider deck, the new boar spider gives arrow eater and is 2x2. But you'll likely want to get K'lzik or a Brood mother enthused as they can generate crazy damage in the pounce.

I don't really run spiders other than a ruby crawler in EVERY deck. My favourite target for enthusiasm is an Ireguard or Pincushion.

8. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

So like, the link doesn't work for me. Says that poxbase's security cert is bad. I'd love to help :(

9. IronStylus

Just allow it. It's not a dangerous site. What system/browser?

10. IronStylus

Wait, doesn't every spider player use the spider special spell that damages and ensnares a target? I thought it's good

11. Authyrtyr

Firefox. There's no button for allowing it.

It's OK. It's pretty good if the game goes on a long time and you can accumulate a ton of spiders but it's not super efficient. If you have that many spiders you don't really need the help.

12. Authyrtyr

Nevermind, I got it to work. Had to go into advanced.

The BG looks pretty good to me. My only major addition would be that Soulcrawler is a little squishy. I recommend trying out the new Boarspider. It's a great tank. Comes with Defensive Stance and Arrow Eater. Kind of annoying to take out.

Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  13. FTCDominique

FTCDominique New Member

I changed it up a little so far, I took out bloodletter for flameweb spider. the alt dmg and pounce is nice. I took out one nightfall spider for a 2nd weaver. Ill try the boarspider tomorrow. I want to add a 2nd void spider but dont know what to take out haha

14. IronStylus

When I play vs spiders or see someone play, the only spiders that are a problem are k'lzik and ruby crawler, however the second one really falls to physical damage, as he's got 40 base hp. They're generally weak, but some thoughts if I wanted to build a spider bg:
    For example: I see you have much ranged protection: orb, obelisk, demon shield, void spider with reflection, 2 elusive spiders, breath of ash, probably this boar spider with arroweater (maybe an overkill on all of this. In melee they have good multiattack damage, counterattack spider, could add another one that is good in melee (demonbard, however he looks terrible on paper, could be a good anti melee, anyways), so I wouldn't worry about melee champions too. however: how would you stop me from bombarding your champs with spells?
    What is your to-go deploy? (considering the match doesn't need specific deploy to counter) besides k'lzik? What is the hell tick for? why two? I suspect the phase spider is there to be annoying if opponent doesnt have magical damage or any other form to counter him easily. I would also add 2 ruby crawlers, because they're a disaster against magic amp and some other bgs. 2x should be good to go. What do you do on big maps, where you need mobility and relocation? is one weaver + protect the nest spam enough? remember it's hard to play protect the nest vs some matchups, especially vs SP, because they always have dreamcrusher, so he destroys all eggs on deploy.
    I see that you have some good soloists, like soulcrawler, because of frightful blows, because nobody actually have fearless, also phase spider is good in several match-ups to sit on a font for a while, and demonic sandclaw should some 1v1 situations, especially when you have blade of the snake to win those 1v1s. (one combat relic could be actually good here because 1. you dont always win 1v1 font fights, which happen pretty often and are important, so you can stall with relic until you send another arthro to contest, and 2. to mess things up to opponent. I don't know what are good ud combat relics, I can think of fire ruby only - it's good but not that amazing).

Also there are plenty of good UD spells with some utility and damage:
    split personality, price of victory, mind storm, mindslicer boomerang, fiery ambush, maddening echoes (not sure if works on small spiders, if yes, I would consider this spell, although I dont like it much, but other people do) and demolish. I would put some of these instead of overkill on ranged protection. I wouldn't play elusive spiders as well. Not in 2x amount for sure.
    And about double retribution: some people will tell you that 1x is enough and they're partially right, but because it's a good spell, can get you surprse kills and have many uses (two almost dead spiders one shotting avatar :p), I see second retri as something like wildcard, that can surprise your opponent and is an extra bonus in your bg.

Good spider spell to consider instead of retribution is arthropod frenzy, that gives you pounce on everything. 1. pounce bypasses almost everything 2. 2v2 high damage units are deadly with pounce 3. opponent won't bodyblock you if you have this spell.

I'm writing things I would consider if I built a spider bg. I don't play spiders and I'm not gonna, until they're buffed or have more interesting mechanic, but here are my thoughts if I was to build them.

yuore likes this.
  15. FTCDominique

FTCDominique New Member

All the options is hurting my brain, so much to think about. I miss my Boghopper/Poison Bg now cause it was simple lol but heard poison is wack sauce now and leap isnt the same anymore :/ But I took out 1 ret, 2 hell tick, 1 flame spider . for 2 ruby crawlers, frenzy, and mindstorm so far. going to test it after class

16. Authyrtyr

Ultimately you should run whatever you enjoy playing the most. Trial and error is the best way to come to a good list. If you haven't already, give my guide a once over. Might find some ideas in there as well.

Qucas, Tweek516 and Fentum like this.
  17. FTCDominique

FTCDominique New Member

I love my spider bg haha just reminiscing about the old times as a fs player, I like the adjustments Ive made with everyones help (thanks again) and once i get my hw done for the week ill try some matches.

18. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

This is wise advice.

19. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Spiders1.jpg

I was running this a couple months ago, but dropped it because I was tired of having my spiderlings/eggs die to things like dreamcrusher. I only run 12 champs because spiders don't have a lot of variety in the theme- they are all basically high-damage melee fighters. I figured that I didnt need to run 15-16 champs if they all do the same thing.

I like arthropod frenzy more than boundless enthusiasm in spiders because it scales really well into midgame when you have 4-5 spiders out. its like casting a weaker BE on everything. Also, the cooldown on pounce isnt conserved at the end of turn when they lose the ability, so you can cast frenzy AGAIN the next turn for back to back pounce powerturns.

Overall, spiders are cool, and do tons of damage, but struggle in this meta with summon counters balanced around 40 hp zombies. Disbelief kills all your spiderlings without banner out, and all your eggs. Shatter summoned kills all spiderlings in range even with banner. Playing against SP is almost auto-lose.

20. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Secret meeting, huh, cool.