Barbarian BG discussion

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Bondman007, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Ok, so I have been wanting to make a FF IS Barbarian BG for a while and thanks to my pal PoxJedi I have been able to fill in the runes I need to complete it. However, as always, I have to many champs and spells and such and not enough room! Help me trim the fat and put this BG together!

It currently looks like this:
    http://www.poxbase.com/deck/Cq@cpkC2+cdHcoJcjkcjjckVckjCd1Cwncy@s4BSls4Gs7HS6Ms5Gs2ds87rHrYE3i

Champ explanations/reasoning's:
    Barb Archer: Cheap build. Ranged sunder ftw!
    Barb Bolt: AoE damage, alt damage type. Can mess up fliers.
    Barb Druid: Ultra efficient healer. Plus detection built in!
    Barb Exemplar: Because I have one.
    Bastion: Him + Might of IF = something's dead.
    Elite skirmisher: Love this guy. Not 2x atm because I am running exemplar. (Should change tbh)
    Fist of Bastion: Not sold on him yet. Doing tests with mark of redemption to see how tanky he can get.
    Magnus: Because I have one. Could easily be 2nd Zedin which again I should probably change.
    Pitfighter: Wow, this can can be hard to kill with a mark added on + manual. Get a druid close and he can be a beast! Anyone else concur?
    Veilwalker: Running x2 because they have the debuff, touch hard to one round and have decent damage.
    Wild Chief: The whole point to running the bg!
    Zedin: Sunder rocks. And he has it! Intimidating much weaker now but still annoying at times.

So tell me about the barb elites, guardians, ghoulhunters, huntress, and the others I don't have here. Are they worth a spot? Guardian seems efficient, but what would be removed? What spells to shift and such?

2. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Zedin isnt the best champion but he is the only current non bastion stone clan warchief so he has that going for him. If you are looking for sunder, Vet comes with it along with a fairly good kit and medium price range.

Exemplar is mostly work in progress to me as she just doesn't add a whole lot to the bg, however, she is unstoppable which works very well with Incite. Barrage is also a solid damage ability with the themes damage boosts.

Guardian is highly efficient in a theme with other barbarians( hopefully humans soon) as BM 3, and defensive strike 1 comes in at 66 nora. BM3+Nexus is a good combo for keeping the advance going and Call to arms makes the rest of the bg cheaper.
    Once Battle Leader gets cheaper Barb commander will be a good competition slot for BM 3 in bg, with a larger focus on damage and better stats.

Ghoulhunter is cheap and he hates on demons/undead doing 15+Rend Damage to those units. Since you like anti armor, illuminate lets him set defense to 0 per attack while granting the next attack extra damage and countering stealth. He is also a shaman now which lets him benefit from Magnus's consecrate or run a shroud which gives him a bit more utility with heal/cleanse and bringing back dead warchiefs.

Huntress is the only rnage 6 barbarian and she brings a pig with electric alt damage to lay around with too. Bola attack lets her be an effective 1-6 range champion as well as limit the mobility of the target up to range 1-4. Also, works with bolts storm clan.

Interrogator is a good unit. 77 nora for a 7spd, declare target /pummel unit. Declare target means whatever unit you pick is dead unless you use it poorly as it makes the first attack vs the target free. A CA: Devastate only costs 5ap with her in range.

Elite: Will be good once Power attack and execute get worked out. He shouldn't have both as they do similar things and do not stack. I would like to see Battle Leader replace execute to help push the concept of the over all race more.

Renegade is underrated as he is cheap, and can really be annoying to deal with. 64ish nora for pilfer, and banditry or throw in conqueror and banditry to be cheaper. The guy steals nora and gives it to you and can mess with equipment or be a pain to fight in fonts. Brutality is a boon for banditry which I mostly pick.

Herder isnt my cup of tea, but she is a cheap source of boost ( needs a change game wide) and invig 2 + mobility is a good kit. Especially in a melee heavy race/faction and works well in the rebuke heavy race.

Houndmaster is a bit more general booster with built in hounds that detect, and a bit more general utility with drive.

A lot of the barbarians are fun and offer things to the bg that are good. Their overall power level might not be high tier but they are getting there.

3. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

As a typical high ranked Barbarian Player I can give you some insight.

Zedin-The Barbarian initiation

Zedin is a very potent unit. With Sunder he can shred multiple units if positioning is favorable and he can be in a persons face with a righteous Deflection if a deck is poorly developed. Stick him in a font, cast a R.d. Wait for rebuttle, if non, incite, 2x Warchieft inaug and tacical manual that ass.

Houndmaster: I run him for drive but he is proving himself to be a strong stand along unit. As his hounds build up, your map control increases, not to mention they deal great damage.

Mounted Kinsmen:
    The Barbarian Meatshield. This is your conduit for spells, aoes, and attacks. Worth a slot for 80 nora over the pitfighter imo.

Barb elite is a poor mans/ cheap version of Bastion. With 5 ap he can nuke a target with a MoI+Incite+ execute pummel. Very squishy however but high speed, hp, and damage make him worth the 69 nora(bravery works better than brutality to me tbh)

Brutality Barbarian: The Barbarian Wavecrusher. Deploy him watch him lose health. the following turn incite him in for a brutal zerker+ maniac+ thirst for battle kill. He can wipe out a whole force by himself turn by turn if left unchecked and if he gets stoneclan, or skylancer clan on him he becomes a one man wrecking ball really fast.

Exemplar:77 nora build or 83 nora build with barrage 3 so you can pummel every incite.And Always keep her incited for Ranged combat supremacy. Let her get stone or skylancer clan and she will basically carry you.

Buntress- Fear the crack. The crack will range you down. The crack will CC you when you get close, the crack will have you get mowed down by a pig, the crack will pwn. Also a good early champion deploy and also a good Divine touch and reinforce synergy unit.

Conscripted Warrior- This guy can get annoying really fast. He will save that mounted kinsmen on its second life with 7 hp from death, give you 40 nora for deploying him in that fashion, and be a superb tank until that kinsmen is back on the field. Defensive stance is a very good ability.

Venge Knight- An amazing unit in Barbarian decks. He tanks, heals and dishes out snowballing damage when violent is in effect. He can be quite a problem for the opponent.

Savage sheildman- Run 1 with defender 3 and block 1-2. reducing most ranged combat damage by around 5-6 damage is huge having a unit that does that and has flanking for the ever so support clutch kill, priceless.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Tarth

how do you get thirst for battle if you incite him in for a zerker+maniac kill?

and you find spending 35+25+25+35 and 4 rune slots worth it to make zedin good?

5. Anotherblackman

Maniac procs, then incite procs, then the unit dies and you get free stats. Only problem is that impatient works before maniac procs so he can have -10 hp before even getting to that point, but his presence is anything but a joke if you can make him work.

And if you aren't running 2x r.d. and 2x Warchief inaug in your barbarian bg, don't know what else to say bro.

6. Tarth

IF the unit dies you still get thirst? I dont understand how Incite procs, so im guessing you mean Thirst there. Thats a bit of an odd dck that the unit can die and still proc...makes things a bit more interesting

Running 2xs whatever doesn't reduce the cost bro. you just doubled the price of Zedin or do you not see that?

7. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Can you guys post or at least pm me your barb bgs for reference?
    Also, thanks for the incite. I've been playing pallys and dorfs and thought barbs might be worth a look.

8. Lubanja

Lubanja Member

Your pun did not go unappreciated.

9. Anotherblackman

I do whatever I need to do to secure victory. If that is a barb bolt with 200 nora poured on him, then so be it.

Do you see me asking you why you run renegade?

And Yeah I meant thirst.You incite, it maniacs, deals damage and since he is engaged at the end of turn after maniac, he gets a thirst stack, next round if the unit is negative in hp levels, it dies leaving you with +2 damage and +1 def for every unit hes engaged to.

10. Tarth

You really need to relax. I'm ASKING a question. I'm just curious how you justify saying something is good on the example of you throwing another 120 nora at it. Its called a discussion. You have got to be a bit less angst driven, no ones mocking you.

Hmm so the game treats it as if it does the next turn even when it dies at the end of yours? Never tried that, will have to give it a look.

11. BigToastie

BigToastie The King of Potatoes

I am no barbarian expert, but I have recently come back and worked from low end rare league to high end exotic league
    (+ beating limiteds with the deck in normals too)
    Been playing the game a long time, came back once owls revamp was complete

upload_2014-8-15_14-51-25.png

Here is my deck, I have a really good w/l ratio with it (id have even more if I didn't offer FQs on normal games :))

I only have exemplars with the decent range, but with hawk masters and barb bolts, it provides more range then you'd think.

If you want me to go in the ins and outs of how I use my BG i will be happy too, but a few key aspects are;

1) Always have bloodchief aug on CD if possible, you can stack this up, give units + damage and + hp, try to use it on a unit with the non blood storm clan, as they get +2 damage +10 hp per rather than half that.
    2) Don't keep MoI for bastion, it works just as well on a cleaving Zedin with 20+ damage
    3) Position your champs as if they were going to die, I will always try to keep my barb closest to the one it'd benefit the most if it died and past the abilities over, for instance, I generally try to get all 3 clan abilities on barb bolts (as you can give them +15 hp and +3 damage per warchief aug) - throw a courage on that if hes lower hp, or put on manual and you have a easily set up power house that does 30% more damage to units.
    4) Incite use it on unstoppable units for better advantage

My only issue is that I lack shatter, but never hit an issue on gear atm as I have lots of alt damage and damage buffs.

12. Tarth

for shatter you have Interrogator, renegade with pilfer, and Tundra barb is suppose to have shatter but doesn't as of yet.

13. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I just can't keep the bolt in my decks... it just either doesn't get deployed for other more essential personnel or simply underperforms in combat. I guess they will just have to release more windy chiefs but thats a bandaid fix to the mechanic. As for shatter, I still just keep a disarm in the deck tbh.. typically you just need the troublesome equipment removed to eliminate the champ.

- I still think we need an overhaul of "Warchief" mechanic it's not like its intricate and detailed so it wouldnt require a lot of effort to change. As it is now its a simple hopping buff on a timer which is meh imo.

14. Tarth

Anyone else notice an issue with call to arms? I had 7 stacks of the ability and it wasn't working on every champ and no champ had all -14 nora either.

Warchief is still bugged too in that it bounces no matter if their are other clan members out.

15. Anotherblackman

Ill enlighten you. Try this. Play a barb bolt, a chieftain right after. The turn you incite, double blood rage and tactical manual.

The results just may surprise you.

16. Lubanja

Lubanja Member

blood rage? what am I missing? where does that ability come from?

17. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- He means old blood rage spell which is now called "Warchief Inaugeration"

18. Tarth

Thats not enlightening in the slightest... Yes, for 75 nora+3 rune slots ( not counting the chief since its value isnt tied to the combo) you are adding a lot of damage/hp to a unit ( 4 damage and 20 hp just from double blood rage, around 7 from tac manual and 3 from zerker), which has nothing to do the question I asked you.

The point is that nearly doubling the price of the rune (with in a single turn no less) is an odd way to judge the power lvl of the unit. Its of course synergy ( which is why I'm suggesting the change to the spell to make the target pool larger) which has to be thought of when discussing balance and theme development . However its the exact same for any barbarian ( specifically non blood chiefs) so its a bit of a odd argument to use.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014