Barbarian Thad

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Tarth, May 24, 2014.

1. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Either a new unit or a Barb commander update

Faction: IS
    Rarity: Rare
    Race: Human, Barbarian
    Class: Warrior, Barbarian ( should be class)
    Size: 1x1

Art: A older, strong barbarian with a brown beard and bald head. He is wearing fur armor with a small iron shoulder guard/half chest guard over his left shoulder. He stands watching his clan warriors train as he leans on his massive 2 handed hammer.

Fluff: " Forged, not born, our people follow valor not mere birth right, only those chiefs tested by the Gods baptism earn our Oaths! " Member of the Barbarian Chief's council discussing who should be appointed the next Thad of the Western Province

Stats:
    Dmg: 13
    Def: 2
    Spd: 6
    Rng: 1
    HP:50

Abilities:

Attack: Physical
    Call to Arms
    Battle Leader
    Battle Master 2
    Rampage

Upgrades:
    Battle master 2-Commander: Human( or barbarian for balance)-Battle Master 3
    Rampage-Kill frenzy-Enrage 3

Not super happy with the upgrades, so any feedback would be great. Idea is that he is a mid priced (75-85) unit that greatly increases his bgs offensive push with in a small area or through combat. Not sure that I like the global motivate or commander but couldn't think of anything else for upgrade options.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

i would make battle master 3 a base ability then make the upgrade chains:
    1) motivate (cheap), commander: barbarian (default), call to arms (expensive)...... allows for 1 minor global buff chain
    2) kill frenzy (cheap), rampage (default), multiattack 1 (expensive)...... allows for 1 personal offensive ability chain designed around getting extra attacks

overall i like the design tho

3. Tarth

Thanks for feedback I took it into account. Enrage 3 +13 base dmg =20 damage whenever he is hit and combined with the battle leader ability being his core conceptual skill combo should be fairly deadly in a fight where hes not ranged or 1 rounded.
    BM 3 base is a good idea, but wasn't sure if starting with a mid priced option of BM 2 with either stronger local buff or weaker global option was better then BM 3 off the bat.

Really not a fan of globals like motivate as it takes away the whole positioning aspect but Ill leave it as others don't feel the same.

Kill frenzy being a free attack vs engaged unit on a kill vs rampage kill chain reset+ 2ap are a mix up for me. DO you think people would pick either or is one just better? Multi attack is extremely strong on a battle leader unit with potential 20+ damage, so I went with assault being an option to work as anti range and to lock down kills in a fight.

What do you think now?

4. sassquatch

the way i see it you need a mechanic that enhances the ability to proc battle leader. the first mechanic is to make your allies stronger through BM and 1 other global buff making the killing blow easier and the second is a way to get an extra attack off and punish your enemy for poor positioning. I see kill frenzy as the weekest and least likely option since the champ is a 1-1 melee champ however that could easily be seen as a desirable quality to allow for call to arms cost to be mitigated. personally on this champ i would run 2 in a deck with different builds and i can easily see how this might need adjusting. on 1 i would run super cheap with motivate and kill frenzy for early game, and the other with commander and multi 1 for mid game. this could be seen as providing too many different buffs from 1 rune but this is how those with access to exemplar would run it. those without exemplar would probably go with both having call to arms and either rampage or multi 1 to make the most of the nora gen.

and as im typing this i can see some of the flaws in what i proposed. perhaps make it BM 2 on base and repalce motivate with BM 3 for the cheap option beacause i can see how motivate and commander on 1 champ can be abused even if both cant be taken at once. so for the first chain make it BM 3, commander, and call to arms.

as far as choosing for the second chain, i would consider kill frenzy if im trying to mitigate cost but i wouldnt take it as an ability to highlight my playstyle. rampage may or may not grant an extra atk but the extra ap gen will allow for safty through repositioning which is useful. but your are right multi1 is very powerful and makes everything easier tactically.

with good game play it should be reasonable to expect battle leader to proc a few times

5. Tarth

what about switching call to arms with enrage 2 or 3 in potential 2nd slot upgrade? That way at base its a heavy buff unit, and its upgrades either adjust the buffing or make it easier to proc.

6. sassquatch

that looks like a solid design. it makes you wonder which you prefer between BM and commander for the first upgrade and then you get to decide if you wanna hit harder or get the occasional extra atk off with the second upgrade.