Beer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PurpleTop, Mar 24, 2014.

1. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I think that we are all mature enough to have this discussion.

I wanna talk about beer. Nothing (well, very few things) is/are more fantastic than relaxing and sitting back with a delicious beer. I want to use this thread to talk about some of the best and favorite beers that people have.

It's hard for me to directly decide which my favorite beer is. I love IPA's, but stouts and porters are so delicious too, it's hard for me to decide my favorite overall with such vastly different categories.

My favorite IPA that is mass produced would probably be the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA. It's very hoppy and has a powerful rye taste. Also, I am not usually a fan of Sam Adams, but their Rebel IPA is actually fantastic.

Then, as far as stouts go, of course the all powerful Guinness is one of my favorite. I wasn't a huge fan of it until I took a vacation to Ireland and got the full experience.

[​IMG]
    Dark, heavy, smooth and tasty. This is probably the best stout on the market, certainly as far as Irish style stouts go.

I would have to say tho that if I were to choose an all time favorite beer, with the right balance, I would have to go with the Arrogant ******* Red Ale from stone brewing company.
    http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/stone-arrogant-*******-ale.jpg
    It is pretty hoppy and relatively heavy. I love hops, and this has just the right mix. Stone Brewing Company in general has some fantastic beer... if you have never tried any of them you should give it a shot. The liquor store right down the street from my house always has this beer in a 22oz, but it is not very consistent with 22oz's of other beers, so i find myself getting this a lot when I am on my way home from work. At 7.2% Alcohol by volume, it has a nice kick to it and is good for taking the edge off.

What do you guys like? I want to hear from you!

2. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

My husband told me that part of the reason he fell for me was that I preferred beer instead of wine :)

This one is a particular favorite of mine:

[​IMG]

3. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Whoops, huge picture. Sorry.

4. PurpleTop

Never tried it. I will certainly have to! And I agree with your husband... one of the hottest things about a girl is when she has a good taste in beer. I dated a girl once who would go to brewery's with me. She would ask for a suggestion and they would always bring her a light fruity beer, which she hated. After that she started asking for suggestions, but she would say "picture me as a 250 lb man with a beard. Now what beer do you suggest?"

It always made me laugh :p

5. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Glad to see our alcohol is appreciated around the world :D (Im irish) . there is certainly no competition as far as stout goes, Guiness has it all the way.

If you like cider , Bulmers ( or Magners i think its called abroad ) is one of the finest Irish ciders on the market.

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

There is jupiler & westvleteren. That's it

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'm german, I just drink whatever crosses my way. When it comes down to drinking a few bottles at a party, Herforder Pils remains an agreeable and affordable classic.

Leadrz likes this.
  8. PurpleTop

Bulmers is fantastic. Also Smithwicks. Those three were at every single bar and pub i went to in ireland haha

9. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

yep they are pretty much the staples haha, where abouts were you ? I live just outside Dublin

10. PurpleTop

I should have hit you up! My sister was studying abroad near Galway, so me and my family went to visit her. We flew in to dublin, stayed there for a couple days. I saw the Guinness store house and then hit some pubs with a friend of mine who also happened to be studying abroad in ireland (univ of dublin i believe). I loved that city! then we drove down toward Galway, stopping at all interest points along the way. I can't remember any of the other cities that we saw, but we saw the Kylemore Abby, Cliffs of Moher, and stayed in the Ashford Castle.

11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Oh, I also love Guiness, while we're at it. Too bad the shitty sports bar I was at a month ago had none. Bunch of proletarians.

12. Chemical22

Chemical22 I need me some PIE!

Guinness is by far my favourite.

I also very much enjoy Belle-vue Kriek. A cherry beer from Belgium

[​IMG]

13. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

am I doing it right?

Pixyrus likes this.
  14. Monyx

Monyx I need me some PIE!

Jesus Christ these pictures are huge. anyways my favorite beer is Definetly Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.......aside from that i really like Rolling Rock if i wanna get tipsy or drink alot. we also have a brewery in Memphis......Ghost River Pale Ale....Anyone tried it? I honestly love it.....not only cause its a local brewery but its an amazing beer....if u happen upon some pick it up and give it a shot.

15. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Well-Known Member

Bell's recently started distributing in NYC, so they've been my go to for bodega sixers. Their Two-Hearted ale is a good all-rounder but Hop Slam is probably the best imperial IPA I've had. If you ever see Sixpoint brewery, I highly recommend trying them - they are a great microbrewery out of Brooklyn. Sells in four packs of tall cans

On a side note, I've been trying my hand at home brewing for the past year. Everything has been drinkable up until my most recent batch where half the bottles caught a gusher bug. Its like playing Russian roulette every time you open a bottle

16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Kriek is regarded as womans beer because it's so sweet.

Damn son

17. Chemical22

Chemical22 I need me some PIE!

I find it more salty than sweet. But hey, I'm confident in my masculinity.

18. FrznWastes

FrznWastes Member

Always had a love for a beer here in the UK called trophy however it is extremely hard to find these days

my usually weekend session would contain the following 3 beers in order of which i prefer:

1. Guinness
    2. Bodingtons
    3. Tetleys Smooth

my friends all think im weird as drinking beer at the age of 24 in the north east of England is not very common most of lads are all Lager (pisswater) drinkers :)

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I can attest to it's quality compared to other cherry beers.
    as am I.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I doubt that is was brewwed in an abbey at scourmont, maybe at one time. but I very much doubt it's monks that brew it.