Best alternative bonus contest

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by DiCEM0nEY, Feb 16, 2017.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I like not changing it

Slencer and Tweek516 like this.
  2. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

I'm not into changings at all, I think I'm used to almost no CD on my minions, I would just suggest a minor cooldown reduction to spells, relics and equipments as well (this will be OP IMO, but fits the faction.)

3. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

That's actually a pretty interesting approach. Although, minor wouldn't be enough. Better to remove some power from units and shift to spells relics equips.

I'm not sure if this would solve attrition being the only way to play however.

4. Durand

Durand Active Member

I'm a new player and noob. I especially like some art in FW (not just FW, but it is one of the coolest), so I would like to try them out sometimes as a secondary bg to the ones I normally use, just for fun. But, I dont like long games and to me, the current faction bonus of FW is totally useless. Not just useless, but even negative for something like Vindictive. As a contrast, there are some really OP faction bonuses like the +1 SPD for KF and so on. Because FW bonus is useless to me, it keeps me from even trying it out and I'm forced to play something more boring :(

(I might suggest something, but because many veterans are against changing anything, I dont feel like I'm experienced enough to make suggestions. I might not just understand it well enough, yet).

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. DiCEM0nEY

most of the veterans are ****** s who ruin the game for new players. However, I don't think the FW bonus is useless, I do however think it is extremely stupid

Generally, the bonuses from best to worst are

FS
    Kf
    SP
    SL
    UD ST
    IF FW

6. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Full Bonus- At the end of your turn a champion is revealed in your rune dock and a random champion on CD has its CD reduced by 4.

Split bonus- Either the Reveal part or CD part.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  7. DiCEM0nEY

This is cool but solves none of the attrition problems and would still encourage death of champions. Truthfully I think permanent dark weave is a good idea and easy to implement in terms of having a high amount of synergy while being less toxic and more fun than the current bonus..

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Must say I really like Yobanchi's idea of negating faction bonuses, or if their was something in the game that could do so for X turns, etc. Seems like a cool mechanic.

Durand likes this.
  9. DiCEM0nEY

That also was an interesting concept I thought.

Durand likes this.
  10. Durand

Durand Active Member

That is an excellent idea!
    -Simple to implement
    -Fits FW theme of dead things/negating something
    -Nothing is more balanced than evening the field

(Reminds me of card game Gwent in Witcher 3. One of the leader-bonuses there is exactly that, negating the enemy leader's bonus)

11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

everytime i see this thread pop up again im just gonna quote this post.

12. DukeofDunks

DukeofDunks I need me some PIE!

Why do people even want the bonus changed so badly? The factions been designed from the ground up with its inclusion and its the most thematically appropriate bonus at that.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  13. Durand

Durand Active Member

I'm not fanatic about changing it or anything, I just liked Yobanchi's idea.

I believe it was more useful in the early days, when bg consisted of only 20 runes, instead of the current 30. As I see it, it's only useful in 2 situations now:

1) If the game lasts hours and you would have run out of all your champions without it. (If you have nothing to use your nora, because all champs are on cooldown without this bonus. This has happened to me only once. Personally, I rather quit than play a match lasting more than an hour, so this is completely irrelevant situation for me).

2) If there were some rune, that is super-cheap in nora cost and has some useful come-in-play effect, like Dark or Divine Favor. But there is none, all of them cost too much to really benefit from it.

(I guess some of the cheapest runes in Worms benefit from it, but even they are being nerfed, and most people don't like long matches against worms anyway. So that leaves nothing).

I consider it similar to useless "fat" abilities in runes that only increase the cost. In this case, it uses the spot that might be something useful.
    When I play against FW with any other faction, I feel bad. Why? Because, I have an unfair advantage of some useful faction bonus.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  14. DukeofDunks

DukeofDunks I need me some PIE!

I suppose? Theres an awful lot of cheap meat runes that love being recycled though

Essence devourer, skeletal bezerker, broken bones, afflicted corpse, Death guard, Bile zombie, etc.

The FW bonus doesnt really help the expensive units in most cases but FW doesnt win through big expensive runes(Serkan being the stubborn exception). It wins off the deaths of units like those and thats exactly how the shambling legions of the dead and the damned should play.

15. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Don't have a strong opinion on it being changed because historically FW has often found a way to shine even without using it's bonus at all, but factions are much wider in scope than their original design now. With this bonus FW is shoe-horned into one play style to leverage it, whereas every other faction fully benefits no matter what they put in their deck.

Yes, shambling dead is one of the themes of FW, but they do have many other themes and they do have many higher cost runes. Should they not be able to benefit from a bonus?

One of the problems, imo, is that when 'expensive' runes in FW (anything that doesn't care about the CD reduction) are good enough to run essentially bonusless, you end up with the feeling that you may as well be running an FW/x split because your good stuff now becomes a little op.

Also this always opens the can of worms over whether champions are pre-nerfed for their faction bonus, devs will claim no but would an UD deck look remotely the same if they included runes without the +4 melee dmg bonus? Why do people consider splitting KF to be useless, but splitting FW to be viable? etc

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  16. DiCEM0nEY

You hit the nail on the head. Just add in that the bonus also forces longer games.

17. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

just delete fw from the game