best strategy to get pox updated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kicrimson, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Kicrimson

Kicrimson The King of Potatoes

Best strategy is for players to keep playing
    Eventually they have to fold because they have to pay for servers...
    or actually update it and make it work

2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I was thinking death threats to Gedden, but fine i'll try it your way.

3. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

I say we take out Senshu, if we're allowing suggestions

4. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Actual best strategy:
    1. Lean how to unity
    2. Make an estimated guess about how the backbone of Pox looks like
    3. Code expansion, make sure to pack it into a self-installing file
    4. Send it to DOG, hope that by then they still have the manpower left to doubleclick the file

guokamoli54 likes this.
  5. badgerale

No one cares about senshu.

Though perhaps if we smeared 'Expansion or you're next' in his blood all over the walls.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  6. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

If you don't play the game, why must they keep the game running or release other contents for the game?

7. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

you should keep playing, but if they are getting your money without any effort they have no incentive to try either.

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Obviously the solution is to whine non-stop about how there hasn't been any updates.

DOG is a huge company with limitless resources, as such it is utterly unacceptable for them to not be constantly flowing updates to this decade old game whilst having just released a new game.

9. calisk

yep

edit --
    i'll break my usual pattern of ignoring your meaningless whining that loves to bookend my posts to state that the OP wanted to discuss getting a patch, you seem to of misinterpreted that as how to ignore everything and make excuses for the devs abandoning the game and not get a patch, i can understand how you made that mistake.

why did you even post here, sounds like you think pox is dead and gone or was it to try and be snappy and act all superior for some unknown reason. go bump my other thread it's a better place for it, I can ignore you quite thoroughly while you do something useful at the same time there.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  10. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

That...OR they send out a notice that servers are closing on xx/xx/2017 and that no further sales will be allowed after xx/xx/2017 and she is laid to rest.
    Players playing the game is near meaningless unless you are boasting thousands of players a day. The 30 that Pox averages at a time is a joke...
    Sometimes people you have to call a spade a spade. Being all optimistic or playing an ostrich with your head in the dirt really gets MORE annoying IMO than doomsaying and the truth.
    But w/e. People are gonna do what people are gonna do...

11. badgerale

I guess the art and designs are all ready for the next expansion so it's just programming needed.

I guess that (and this is an uneducated guess) it would only just cover the costs on making an expansion even given that a lot is already done.

Perhaps it is more that the programmers on staff have been given other projects that will actually give a return, Gedden doesn't want to mess up those for the sake of something which is just delaying the inevitable.

12. calisk

sadly while I believe it to be accurate, it's also wrong as well, pox is only in the state it's in because 20 months ago they stopped releasing content, every time pox begins to rebuild from the last time they did something stupid to mess up release schedules and lose players they go and do it all again, sure this expansion might not have the biggest return of all time, but with effort they could rebuild the player base and stabilize the client, something that would likely IMO pay off better in the long term then these other projects i'm seeing out of them.

regardless I don't believe they have the skill or drive to revive pox, so your assessment is correct i suspect.

13. badgerale

Again this is just off the top of my head, I have no real knowledge about it, but I think the issue is that to actually get the client up to scratch would suck up a lot of programming time for little reward.

Like even if they got it running perfectly (which would cost them) it is still an old 2D game that isn't going to become big again.

Yeah, if better decisions were made (like avoiding the new client and concentrating on the PC version) we could be in a situation where expansions made a modest return and could be kept going for a good while. Though it is worth noting that while the PSN and new client were Firk ups, just making them gave publicity to the game it wouldn't otherwise have had.

14. calisk

well the publicity it got was that the game barely runs, and it's practically impossible to finish a game without disconnects, and the lag was attrocious.

I won't really go into what could of been done as there are vastly too many things that could of been done better in hind sight, but pox being an old 2d style game is not IMO a draw back, it's a marketing opportunity in an era where retro art has a niche and board games are ever growing in popularity.

it would take solid marketing on top of a solid client to bring people to pox, I'm unsure where they are getting the money to fund other gambles like their other projects, but ultimately I expect those gambles/projects will fail, where as had they gambled on pox they might of had a fighting chance.

might turn out i'm wrong, and those project may turn out to do well who knows i guess.

Fentum likes this.
  15. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

This is true. The physical board game market has never been in better health. Pox might utilise this.

16. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Guys, I honestly think Gedden/OWL care about pox to some degree, or else they would have never initially entered this shtshow 2-3 years ago. (or tried ps4, or all the failures... people forget the failures mean someone is trying at least.)

That being said put yourself in their shoes.... you are working your ass off on other games to try and make money to support this pile of garbage you created years ago..... all while nobody understands this and thinks you have simply abandoned them.

Much like the man who leaves his poor home country to get an education/money, planning to return to help improve it, yet everyone still hates him for leaving; not understanding the long-term hope.

hfok, MaruXV, JaceDragon and 2 others like this.
  17. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

Miss you man. Stop by our guild discord if you can.

18. calisk

Now I consider it a possibility they are doing other games to raise money for pox, but that's unlikely.

Two questions come to mind, how are they paying for the other games and why aren't they using that money to help pox.

The answer I tend suspect is that as pox is there only source of income the money is likely coming from pox and as such isn't being used to help pox for that very reason.

But ultimately all they'd need to do is communicate there intentions exactly which they don't.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  19. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

1.they are raising money because they are a company. don't know if they plan to use it on pox, but if they have this new expansion ready in design and illustrations, they just need the coding, and and i'm pretty sure they will release this one. maybe it will be the last one, maybe it will stay up as a few 100's people's game with one new expansion each 1.2 years. who knows. Ultima online is still running on some servers.

2. as i understood, they got payed by a commissioner to make the space game. also they made the plox neon one as a "joke", not as a big business plan.

3. You're right about the lack of info. If they posted one update per month hope would be higher. But not many niche games do that. Faeria gets a patch/update every 3-4 months. Sok's last update was at christmas i think. not that far.

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You don't think taking Pox back from SOE, then investing a bunch of time and money into it, including a new client, doesn't count as "gamble on Pox?" Honestly, I don't even understand what you are trying to say.

I mean, there's lots of things you can criticize DOG (and SOE) for, but not trying isn't one of them. Both of these companies put in a lot of work and money into this game to try and make it successful (though I'd argue it was successful for quite awhile, it just didn't last forever, as most things don't).

Also, you clearly don't understand the nature of the other projects, which I will explain in a second post.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018